Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 22, 2023, 05:36:00 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 21, 2023, 12:46:00 PMOh poo. I used to live in Kent so they are the nearest thing to a county team for me.

Nice ground at Canterbury, although sadly the old Lime tree, for whom special rules were required, has long gone. Still a nice ground for a day out in the summer though  :cheers:

St Lawrence Lime

Never been to a proper ground other than some in Cornwall and a couple near Bedford as when I lived in Kent I was still in short trousers  :-\

In fact when I did get long trousers I remember my mother complaining that I wore through the knees way more than she would have liked.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on May 22, 2023, 06:59:41 AMNever been to a proper ground other than some in Cornwall and a couple near Bedford as when I lived in Kent I was still in short trousers  :-\

In fact when I did get long trousers I remember my mother complaining that I wore through the knees way more than she would have liked.

Gondor

.......and why was that, we ask?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on May 22, 2023, 08:42:17 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 22, 2023, 06:59:41 AMNever been to a proper ground other than some in Cornwall and a couple near Bedford as when I lived in Kent I was still in short trousers  :-\

Gondor

.......and why was that, we ask?
Playing in a playground that was tarmack and concrete

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on May 20, 2023, 06:09:52 AMCricket rules are very simple...The object of the game if for one team to score more than the other team...

That's the English way.

The Australian way is to get the other team out for less runs than they got you out for.  This difference is reflected in the different way the scores are recorded.
We say Wickets for Runs while the rest of the world says Runs for Wickets.
The Australian way is essentially offensive while the other way is defensive.
And that is why we shall win the Ashes this Northern Summer.
 ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 23, 2023, 05:43:10 AMAnd that is why we shall win the Ashes this Northern Summer.
 ;D

2 weeks ago I'd have said "no you won't", but our bowlers are dropping like flies at the moment  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 23, 2023, 05:43:10 AMThe Australian way is to get the other team out for less runs than they got you out for.  This difference is reflected in the different way the scores are recorded.
We say Wickets for Runs while the rest of the world says Runs for Wickets.
The Australian way is essentially offensive while the other way is defensive.

;D

I can see your point, but I'd argue it. You can both attack and defend whilst either bowling or batting. Depends on the situation.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I can't believe I'm reading about cricket.  ;)
I can't believe I'm actually reading it! 😲
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on May 23, 2023, 08:53:18 AMI can't believe I'm reading about cricket.  ;)
I can't believe I'm actually reading it! 😲

My job is done  :angel:

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2023, 05:40:09 AMThe basic rules are relatively simple, just don't ask me to explain Leg Before Wicket  ;)

It really is the Cricket equivelant of trying to explain the Off Side rule in Football/Soccer  :rolleyes:

Gondor

kerick

I'm sure we have strange rules in baseball and football over here but I just don't pay attention.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on May 24, 2023, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2023, 05:40:09 AMThe basic rules are relatively simple, just don't ask me to explain Leg Before Wicket  ;)

It really is the Cricket equivelant of trying to explain the Off Side rule in Football/Soccer  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Offside's easy in comparison. It was just sometimes difficult for the officials to get it correct, prior to the introduction of AVR. When I played at the back I was the defender who "called the line forward" and had many a discussion with refs  :angel:

NARSES2

The Wooksta!

Only went to see cricket once, but thankfully it was rained off early and we spent the rest of the day in the bar.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

There's a cricket club behind my grandparents old house in Brentwood. My grandad would wander over there on sunny days to support the team.
My gran said he just drank a few pints in the club bar and dozed off in a deckchair for the afternoon   :cheers:
He'd wake up as the game finished, come home for dinner and doze off again in front of the telly. Married bliss  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on May 26, 2023, 11:26:24 AMThere's a cricket club behind my grandparents old house in Brentwood. My grandad would wander over there on sunny days to support the team.
My gran said he just drank a few pints in the club bar and dozed off in a deckchair for the afternoon   :cheers:
He'd wake up as the game finished, come home for dinner and doze off again in front of the telly. Married bliss  ;D

Sums up local cricket perfectly  ;D