Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on May 01, 2024, 06:28:32 PMPlease, please, PURLEASE don't encourage him!

I could tell you a story about the late 60's, but I won't  :angel:  :-X  ;) 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 02, 2024, 01:43:07 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on May 01, 2024, 06:28:32 PMPlease, please, PURLEASE don't encourage him!

I could tell you a story about the late 60's, but I won't  :angel:  :-X  ;) 

It sounds like most of us don't need any encouragement...  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 03, 2024, 04:32:19 AMI wasn't born until '67.

I was just about getting fed up with my first job then.  ;D

Countless hours testing Austin Maxi prototypes, changing the distributer caps every 25 miles when it was raining, aaaaaggggh! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 03, 2024, 05:29:38 AM

Just saying.

I'd just reached "O" level exams.

Took most of mine in 68, but had taken English in the third year (66) and Maths in the fourth year (67). One of the most disappointing days of my life when I got the certificates. I was expecting individual scrolls with beautiful script, and what did we get ? Even the type face they used was wonky  :-\  Mind you I've still got them, my mum kept them just in case I needed to produce them at interviews and I inherited them  ;D 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 03, 2024, 06:18:38 AM
Quote from: Rheged on May 03, 2024, 05:29:38 AM

Just saying.

I'd just reached "O" level exams.

Took most of mine in 68, but had taken English in the third year (66) and Maths in the fourth year (67). One of the most disappointing days of my life when I got the certificates. I was expecting individual scrolls with beautiful script, and what did we get ? Even the type face they used was wonky  :-\  Mind you I've still got them, my mum kept them just in case I needed to produce them at interviews and I inherited them  ;D 

I took all my O levels at the end of the fourth year  and went straight into the sixth form.................it was some sort of educational experiment that was NOT repeated.  The certificates were very ordinary, but at least I didn't get the wonky typeface.   It was my mum kept them, on the basis that  "....you never know when you might need them..."       AAGGGH!   This is close to 60 years ago................where did all of the intervening time go to?

Gondor

I took eight 'O' levels in 77 after failing my eleven-plus five years earlier. I managed to get an HNC some fifteen years ago at the ripe old age of forty-eight although I had to sit the maths module twice, I have still no idea why I would ever want to calculate the next section of a sine-wave when I would simply attach an oscilloscope and look at it  :unsure:
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on May 03, 2024, 10:19:14 AMI have still no idea why I would ever want to calculate the next section of a sine-wave when I would simply attach an oscilloscope and look at it  :unsure:

Yeah, so many things that you HAVE to learn in order pass various exams prove to be totally irrelevant to later life.

Why WOULD I need to know the various coefficients of expansion of 15-20 different metals, only half a dozen of which I ever came into contact with later on?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 03, 2024, 10:43:11 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 03, 2024, 10:19:14 AMI have still no idea why I would ever want to calculate the next section of a sine-wave when I would simply attach an oscilloscope and look at it  :unsure:

Yeah, so many things that you HAVE to learn in order pass various exams prove to be totally irrelevant to later life.

Why WOULD I need to know the various coefficients of expansion of 15-20 different metals, only half a dozen of which I ever came into contact with later on?

Exactly, if you need to know more the thing to know is where to look for the information. Knowing such things is far more important.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 03, 2024, 08:10:08 AMI took all my O levels at the end of the fourth year  and went straight into the sixth form.................it was some sort of educational experiment that was NOT repeated. 

I went to Secondary Modern School so had to change to a Grammar School for "A" Levels. Let us just say that me and Grammar School didn't get on, or more specifically a couple of masters and I didn't, but therein lies a tale, so I lasted 6 months and then went to work. As it turns out proved to be a good choice, and I took my "A" Level history when I was 29. Harder work at that age, but I enjoyed it.

Meanwhile spent a good, if tiring day, at the South Downs Show yesterday. Great company in Dave (Kitbasher) and Martin (MartinH) and apart from an accident with a near boiling cup of coffee  :banghead: , was one of the best days of Spring so far. Cheers lads  :thumbsup:

Rheged

It's a worrying business when even the cups of coffee are out to get you!  Glad a good time was had by all.

Pellson

Being the youngest in this thread (so far, and not by very many years), I wasn't anywhere near a proper job until in the mid-eighties. That's also annoyingly long ago, these days, and I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find out what I'm supposed to become when grown up..

I also still envy you your model shows. They're so many, and they're all so accessible! Over here, I have to travel for at least four hours to get to all but one, and that one isn't even a big one.
Then again, there's not really a what-if community over here, so the shows are rather JMN infected, basically leaving me out. But one can at least admire the work, even if too many subjects are a bit boring. 
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Quote from: Pellson on May 06, 2024, 12:25:24 AM... I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find out what I'm supposed to become when grown up..

I was born in 1962 & I still ponder that same question! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Pellson on May 06, 2024, 12:25:24 AMBeing the youngest in this thread (so far, and not by very many years), I wasn't anywhere near a proper job until in the mid-eighties. That's also annoyingly long ago, these days, and I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find out what I'm supposed to become when grown up..

I also still envy you your model shows. They're so many, and they're all so accessible! Over here, I have to travel for at least four hours to get to all but one, and that one isn't even a big one.
Then again, there's not really a what-if community over here, so the shows are rather JMN infected, basically leaving me out. But one can at least admire the work, even if too many subjects are a bit boring. 
If you were born before 68 Pellson mate then your not the youngest now..that would be me  ;D
68 was the yr I was hatched  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .