Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

The Tempests are fantastic! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

And the Hornet's pretty damned good, too! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Thank you gents  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Wardukw on June 30, 2023, 12:57:54 PMI must buy and build my first one  ;D
When I can find one with postage which isn't the same price as the model  :banghead:

This is the AZ kit. Special Hobby do one as well, but I'm told it's not that accurate. It's also mixed media, lots of resin bits, whereas the AZ one is all plastic. As to where you can get one without silly postage ? No idea I'm afraid.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 01, 2023, 05:26:09 AMThank you gents  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Wardukw on June 30, 2023, 12:57:54 PMI must buy and build my first one  ;D
When I can find one with postage which isn't the same price as the model  :banghead:

This is the AZ kit. Special Hobby do one as well, but I'm told it's not that accurate. It's also mixed media, lots of resin bits, whereas the AZ one is all plastic. As to where you can get one without silly postage ? No idea I'm afraid.
The hunting was good this Chris..im opening this 48th Trumpeter one I'm watching will still be there Tuesday night 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Got back to the bench after a couple of weeks away from it, and discovered that White Ensign Colorcoat enamels and Humbrol Enamel Thinners don't mix  :banghead:  Nothing to serious and should be easily rectified, but a few hours lost.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2023, 05:50:03 AMGot back to the bench after a couple of weeks away from it, and discovered that White Ensign Colorcoat enamels and Humbrol Enamel Thinners don't mix  :banghead:  Nothing to serious and should be easily rectified, but a few hours lost.
Give good old fashioned mineral turpentine a blast for thinning enamel paint Chris..ive used it to thin humbrol for decades..would be worth a blast to see if it works with white ensign paints .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

I can't remember seeing mineral turpentine sold in the UK (might be wrong, been a while).  I used to buy White Spirits.  From memory they smell the same.

Just looked, wikipaedia says they are the same stuff.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Got the La 165 cleaned up after the White Ensign/Humbrol conflict and the White Ensign paint (which I'm a big fan of by the way) is thin enough for brush painting straight from the tin. So I don't think I need to experiment, although I may try Xtracolour enamel thinners on a test piece just to see what happens.

Quote from: zenrat on July 16, 2023, 04:56:57 AMI can't remember seeing mineral turpentine sold in the UK (might be wrong, been a while).  I used to buy White Spirits.  From memory they smell the same.

Just looked, wikipaedia says they are the same stuff.

Which I have a bottle of, ta  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2023, 05:09:00 AMWhat else would you put in your OJ?

I'm saying nothing  :-X

Meanwhile I'm musing on getting this Rufe conversion, but £35 odd inc.postage for a 1/72 conversion, and that's a 1/3 off, seems a bit on the high side to me.

The Wooksta!

HOW MUCH?!!!!!

Sex, travel and their mothers would be my first comment.  The next would be to try and find a cheaper Hasegawa kit on ebay.

Edit: there was a Frog one for 25 notes, but Kingkit has this:
https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/microace-aircraft-model-kits-1-72-53004-ijn-floatplane-fighter-a6m2-n-rufe

Think it could the LS kit, so should be decent enough. And that's a full kit, not just a conversion.  Decals could be crap though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 17, 2023, 06:12:50 AMHOW MUCH?!!!!!

Sex, travel and their mothers would be my first comment.  The next would be to try and find a cheaper Hasegawa kit on ebay.

Must admit that was my thought when I saw the reduced price, let alone the full price. Does look nice though.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I built the Jo-Han Rufe kit maybe 40 yrs ago, and it cost me a TENTH of that conversion at the Kit Sale at the IPMS Nats!  :o

And a darn good kit it was too, you could build it as either a Rufe or a standard Zero.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit