Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

My brain works in an odd mix of metric & Imperial, as I was near the end of primary school when Australia changed over to metric & I've found bits of both easier to use for different things.

For example, I use:
feet & inches for heights & short distances (much easier);
metres & kilometres for distances over a few feet (see what I did there? ;) );
acres & parts thereof are easier to visualise for smaller properties up to about 10 or 12;
above that hectares are much better (the numbers are smaller to start with); &
square feet up to about 12, then it's square metres.

Money is always decimal because we changed to decimal currency when I was 4 & had bugger all understanding of money.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 28, 2023, 05:37:26 AMMany years ago me and the then Mrs Edwards used to walk our dog through Mitcham Road cemetery in Thornton Heath then across the common to one of the Mitcham pubs for a Sunday pint. Our dog was quite a rumbustious thing, but whilst in the cemetery she was always remarkably well behaved.

Wonder what/who she was seeing...  :o  ;)

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 30, 2023, 07:36:50 AMMy brain works in an odd mix of metric & Imperial, as I was near the end of primary school when Australia changed over to metric & I've found bits of both easier to use for different things.

For example, I use:
feet & inches for heights & short distances (much easier);
metres & kilometres for distances over a few feet (see what I did there? ;) );
acres & parts thereof are easier to visualise for smaller properties up to about 10 or 12;
above that hectares are much better (the numbers are smaller to start with); &
square feet up to about 12, then it's square metres.

Money is always decimal because we changed to decimal currency when I was 4 & had bugger all understanding of money.

I use a weird mixture of both.
I have never been able to visualise areas though.  Or longer distances.  Put me on top of a hill and ask me how big a paddock is or how far away, and while I would have a go it would be wildy inaccurate.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Having worked and generally been interacting with Britons since my early twenties, I'm a bit mixed too. At home, I usually work metric, but as soon as someone imperial is around, I tend to switch.
This goes for distances, weight and speed, as well as some volumes (mainly pints, if you need to know😉) while areas are confusing as soon as you leave square metres or square feet. 

Also, I find the imperial system quite entertaining just because it's so totally random.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 30, 2023, 10:26:16 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 28, 2023, 05:37:26 AMMany years ago me and the then Mrs Edwards used to walk our dog through Mitcham Road cemetery in Thornton Heath then across the common to one of the Mitcham pubs for a Sunday pint. Our dog was quite a rumbustious thing, but whilst in the cemetery she was always remarkably well behaved.

Wonder what/who she was seeing...  :o  ;)

I've often wondered that.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on May 01, 2023, 04:58:37 AMAlso, in find the imperial system quite entertaining just because it's so totally random.

I was assured by an old history master that it wasn't, but I've never seen much proof to back that up  ;D

I was 19 when we decimalised, but we've never really embraced metrification. I think governments are just waiting for it to die out, if it ever does. :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

HOORAY, HOORAY, FIRST OF MAY and the rest is long consigned to history  :angel:

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 01, 2023, 05:33:42 AMI was 19 when we decimalised, but we've never really embraced metrification. I think governments are just waiting for it to die out, if it ever does. :angel:

LUDDITE!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on May 01, 2023, 05:42:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 01, 2023, 05:33:42 AMI was 19 when we decimalised, but we've never really embraced metrification. I think governments are just waiting for it to die out, if it ever does. :angel:

LUDDITE!

;D  ;D

Rheged

At school, I was taught Imperial units  and trained, as a teacher, to teach both Imperial and Metric.  I can work in either or  a hybrid mixture of both.  The aspect of metrication that really exercised me was the change from  £ s d to £ p.  Cashing up the college bar at the end of every evening was a laugh a minute.  The convention was that one paid for drinks in either units, but change was always given in £ p.     Apart from a few argumentative  twerps  and the "tired and emotional"**  types found in every bar  the system worked well and we ended up more or less in balance

**  BBC  euphemism for sozzled politicians

History teacher mode engaged

Imperial units have their own idiosyncratic logic. An inch is a finger joint, a foot is exactly that and a yard (a clothyard) is nose to fingertip. A furlong...furrow long... is as far as your ox team can plough without a rest , a rod, pole or perch is the length of rod or pole  used as an ox goad  and a mile is mille passuum------one thousand double paces by a Roman legionary.  A pint is about as much as you can drink in one draught.  A stone is as much as you can carry any distance and a hundredweight as much as you can lift. 

History teacher mode disengaged
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on May 01, 2023, 05:47:34 AMAt school, I was taught Imperial units  and trained, as a teacher, to teach both Imperial and Metric.  I can work in either or  a hybrid mixture of both.  The aspect of metrication that really exercised me was the change from  £ s d to £ p.  Cashing up the college bar at the end of every evening was a laugh a minute.  The convention was that one paid for drinks in either units, but change was always given in £ p.     Apart from a few argumentative  twerps  and the "tired and emotional"**  types found in every bar  the system worked well and we ended up more or less in balance

Imperial units have their own idiosyncratic logic. An inch is a finger joint, a foot is exactly that and a yard (a clothyard) is nose to fingertip. A furlong...furrow long... is as far as your ox team can plough without a rest , a rod, pole or perch is the length of rod or pole  used as an ox goad  and a mile is mille passuum------one thousand double paces by a Roman legionary.  A pint is about as much as you can drink in one draught.  A stone is as much as you can carry any distance and a hundredweight as much as you can lift. 

..but making that exact will force you to standardise your human in detail. As well as your ox, I think.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

The most common number I use on a calculator is 25.4..............  ;D

(Ah, maybe after 7.85, which is the scaling factor I use to make my decal drawings correct size when printed.)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Gondor

I heard that the cubit is makeing a comeback..... opps that should be a Q Bit or Quantum Bit  :rolleyes:

I was at Secondary school when the UK changed to Decimal currancy. Lots of fun at break time trying to catch each other out with conversion in either direction.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on May 01, 2023, 05:47:34 AMAt school, I was taught Imperial units  and trained, as a teacher, to teach both Imperial and Metric.  I can work in either or  a hybrid mixture of both.  The aspect of metrication that really exercised me was the change from  £ s d to £ p.  Cashing up the college bar at the end of every evening was a laugh a minute.  The convention was that one paid for drinks in either units, but change was always given in £ p.     Apart from a few argumentative  twerps  and the "tired and emotional"**  types found in every bar  the system worked well and we ended up more or less in balance

And a chain is as long as your wicket.
 :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..