Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

So who is the jacka$$ that decided we have to switch from "watts" in our light bulbs to "lumens". Even my auto correct doesn't like it and switched it to "linens" just now! I know, LEDs. Still sucks. I'm a grouchy old fart these days and I don't want to change.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on May 05, 2023, 02:17:59 AMSo who is the jacka$$ that decided we have to switch from "watts" in our light bulbs to "lumens". Even my auto correct doesn't like it and switched it to "linens" just now! I know, LEDs. Still sucks. I'm a grouchy old fart these days and I don't want to change.

There's actually a very good reason for that. The Watt figure never had anything directly to do with what amount of light you actually got out of the bulb, only the amount of electric power that went into it to produce that light. And about 9 times as much heat as light, but that's besides tis topic. The LED lights don't need even a fourth of the amount of power to produce the same amount of light, so if you replace an old 40W bulb with a new 40W LED, you'll need sunglasses indoors..  :mellow:

Th Lumen figure is a measure for light, and if the old lights had been marked up with lumens from the start, things would have been easier.

The again, you need to know the Watt figure to dimension cabling, fuses etc, so..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on May 05, 2023, 02:44:42 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 05, 2023, 02:17:59 AMSo who is the jacka$$ that decided we have to switch from "watts" in our light bulbs to "lumens". Even my auto correct doesn't like it and switched it to "linens" just now! I know, LEDs. Still sucks. I'm a grouchy old fart these days and I don't want to change.

There's actually a very good reason for that. The Watt figure never had anything directly to do with what amount of light you actually got out of the bulb, only the amount of electric power that went into it to produce that light. And about 9 times as much heat as light, but that's besides tis topic. The LED lights don't need even a fourth of the amount of power to produce the same amount of light, so if you replace an old 40W bulb with a new 40W LED, you'll need sunglasses indoors..  :mellow:

Th Lumen figure is a measure for light, and if the old lights had been marked up with lumens from the start, things would have been easier.

The again, you need to know the Watt figure to dimension cabling, fuses etc, so..  ;)

I realize everything about what you said is true. It's just trying to adjust to new units. I know what watt bulb to put in a certain size room but I have no concept when it comes to lumens. Very annoying. I bet there is a conversion chart somewhere. Google knows all, tells all..
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on May 05, 2023, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: Pellson on May 05, 2023, 02:44:42 AM

I realize everything about what you said is true. It's just trying to adjust to new units. I know what watt bulb to put in a certain size room but I have no concept when it comes to lumens. Very annoying. I bet there is a conversion chart somewhere. Google knows all, tells all..

It's perfectly fine to be another old, grumpy git, accompanying me, so make no excuses.  ;D

kerick

Do you know of Jeff Dunham the ventriloquist? His character Walter is my hero!
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on May 07, 2023, 11:06:04 AMDo you know of Jeff Dunham the ventriloquist? His character Walter is my hero!
I'm still rather fond of the original grumpy old men
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 08, 2023, 02:18:39 AMThat's me and Kit  :angel:

Can't be, neither of them has a Hat, let alone THE HAT!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Quote from: scooter on May 07, 2023, 12:38:36 PM
Quote from: kerick on May 07, 2023, 11:06:04 AMDo you know of Jeff Dunham the ventriloquist? His character Walter is my hero!
I'm still rather fond of the original grumpy old men

The BBC series? I 2nd that! Educational, indeed!  ;D

zenrat

The old guy who lives opposite me often sits on his verandah with his mate from down the road drinking beer and making their views on passers by known.
I tend to attract their attention when I arrive home from work on my bike.
We call them Statler and Waldorf

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Managed to get back to the bench  :thumbsup:  Got some paint on the SR. A/1, Hornet and one of the Tempest II's
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Managed to make some progress on all my current builds this week, and even started cleaning up a Huma Hs 132 for a "quick" build. Built one already as a Luftwaffe aircraft and memory is that it's a pleasant build. This one will be either Hungarian or Italian ANR.

A little while ago I decided to just accept my health issues in so far as they affect my modelling ability (hand/eye co-ordination and the shakes) and just get back to trying to build, make progress and enjoy it again. Well much to my surprise I've been able to do it (in the main anyway) and have started to enjoy it again  :thumbsup:  They won't win any prizes and it'll be interesting to compare some with similar projects from a couple of years ago, but it's meant to be enjoyable and it's starting to be again  ;)  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 14, 2023, 05:33:18 AMA little while ago I decided to just accept my health issues in so far as they affect my modelling ability (hand/eye co-ordination and the shakes) and just get back to trying to build, make progress and enjoy it again. Well much to my surprise I've been able to do it (in the main anyway) and have started to enjoy it again  :thumbsup:  They won't win any prizes and it'll be interesting to compare some with similar projects from a couple of years ago, but it's meant to be enjoyable and it's starting to be again  ;)  :thumbsup:

This is a good thing! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

I'm glad you're at peace with that issue, Chris!  :cheers:
Having fun is what it's all about, regardless of how good our models stack up to the "best of the show".  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"