SPECIAL ATTACK AIRCRAFT Ki-116 Tsuragi-Kai

Started by PACOPEPE, April 30, 2012, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PACOPEPE

In 1944; Japan acquired engineering information on the german Fieseler Fi-103 (V-1) "Buzz Bomb" cruise missile, and had begun to manufacture its Argus pulse-jet engine as the Maru Ka-10. Such pulse-jets were much easier to manufacture than axial-flow turbojets such as the Ne-20, and Japan attempted to acquire engineering drawings of the Fi-103 for production of a manned suicide version. Only a portion of the documentation arrived, so the IJN sponsored the development of the similar Baika (Plum Blossom). starting in the summer of 1945.

The declining inventories of suitable suicide aircraft convinced the IJA to initiate its own program. In January 1945, the IJA started first the Ki-115, with piston engine; but later, incorporated the last innovations on propulsion; with the same pulse-jet engine, and auxiliary rockets.

Cheers
Fran

Old Wombat

Neat concept! :thumbsup:

Of course, putting the explosive in the nose of the aircraft makes it that much more effective than if the engine is there.

However, the Japanese did have the MXY-7 Okha, their real suicide rocket-plane.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

RussC

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 30, 2012, 06:53:47 PM
Neat concept! :thumbsup:

Of course, putting the explosive in the nose of the aircraft makes it that much more effective than if the engine is there.

However, the Japanese did have the MXY-7 Okha, their real suicide rocket-plane.

The Ohka required a vulnerable carry by a G4m bomber and was an offensive weapon, designed to go to the anchorages of the enemy, striking far offshore.

The Baika was a defensive weapon, designed to be sited in caves with only the snout of the launch ramps in the open. The craft were to be used to blunt the landings on the home islands or their resupply.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

rickshaw

Wasn't there a ground launched version of the Ohka as well?  According to Wikipedia it was the Kugisho/Yokosuka "Ohka" Model 43B Otsu and intended to be launched from caves.

I served with an old WO1 when I was in the Army.  He had served as part of BCOF (British Commonwealth Occupation Forces) in 3RAR (3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment) just before Korea when he was a young digger.  Even then, they were still finding underground caches of weapons and bombs, including aircraft. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

RussC

Quote from: rickshaw on May 01, 2012, 07:56:42 AM
Wasn't there a ground launched version of the Ohka as well?  According to Wikipedia it was the Kugisho/Yokosuka "Ohka" Model 43B Otsu and intended to be launched from caves.

I served with an old WO1 when I was in the Army.  He had served as part of BCOF (British Commonwealth Occupation Forces) in 3RAR (3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment) just before Korea when he was a young digger.  Even then, they were still finding underground caches of weapons and bombs, including aircraft. 

The coast was starting to become honeycombed with installations, Ohka, Baika, Speedboats, Kaiten, Armed swimmers, minefields etc. Unlike the island campaigns- the beaches were going to be defended Atlantic Wall style at the waters edge.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sequoiaranger

I have a similar project awaiting my hand (Doshaburi), but not anytime soon. It will have a prone pilot in a glass nose.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Go4fun

"Just which planet are you from again"?

kitbasher

What's your base kit, Pacopepe?

Quote from: Go4fun on May 03, 2012, 01:09:40 PM
Why did Komi Kazes wear helmets anyway? :blink:

Health and Safety regulations?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PACOPEPE

The original is the old kit on 1/72 of Aviation USK; with the warhead and pulse-jet engine of the kit of V-1 on 1/48 of Italeri (combo with the Ohka).

Cheers
Fran

tc2324

Liking this and waiting for more piccy updates.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PACOPEPE

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.