The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

This makes me wonder... what was the first kit to include parts for different options without saying what they were?

I have had kits from the 1970s that have extra parts for no obvious reasons. I built the venerable Matchbox 1/32 Lysander and had to work out which part was for the SOE version and what was for the Army Co-op machine. I read up on the type, asked people and learnt in the process. The Tamiya SdKfz. 222 had lots of optional parts but no clues as to what went with which type, I had to guess at those but that was part of the fun in the pre-internet age.
These days finding out the details is easy with the internet and numerous good quality reference books or videos.
I'll be honest, I sometimes wonder how some people get out of bed in the morning let alone travel to town or go to work.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 25, 2014, 07:32:23 AM
Can I just say I agree with you totally Lee. Unless I'm missing something I really cannot understand why IPMS gave him the space.

Probably just to fill space and he'd also get paid for it!  Beats me how you could pay anything for such ill-informed drivel.  Although people still buy the Daily Mail and any of the Murdoch press titles...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 02, 2014, 04:16:17 AM
There were one or two built up Bv 141s that are just begging to be repainted in RAF colours - we captured one at the Blohm und Voss works at Hamburg. Wonder what Eric Brown would have thought about that one?  Again, these just have to be dug out.

He flew one at the end of the war.  I vaguely remember a documentary where he mentioned his experience.  He landed at a Soviet airfield and managed to convince them to let him fly it, when we still just about had some kind of relationship with them.  He wasn't overly impressed IIRC, saying he thought the Fw189 was superior.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Do like your CS199 ideas - what about a simple Luft '46 Jumo Me109?  Also the re-engined Siebel 204 - two Gypsy queens like the Dove/Devon?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on June 15, 2014, 03:25:21 AM
Do like your CS199 ideas - what about a simple Luft '46 Jumo Me109?  Also the re-engined Siebel 204 - two Gypsy queens like the Dove/Devon?

The simple Jumo 109 for Luft 46 was the plan, but I just can't do anything in Luftwaffe markings now.  Have to be captured aircraft.

The Siebel.  I've just remembered that the Rareplanes Dove/Devon has a set of spare engines that are just the right size.  Wonder where that built up Si 204 is?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 15, 2014, 11:12:45 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 15, 2014, 03:25:21 AM

The simple Jumo 109 for Luft 46 was the plan, but I just can't do anything in Luftwaffe markings now.  Have to be captured aircraft.

I understand.  Plenty of captured Bf109s, FW190s and Ta152s to be inspired by.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on April 02, 2014, 08:12:38 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 02, 2014, 04:16:17 AM
There were one or two built up Bv 141s that are just begging to be repainted in RAF colours - we captured one at the Blohm und Voss works at Hamburg. Wonder what Eric Brown would have thought about that one?  Again, these just have to be dug out.

He flew one at the end of the war.  I vaguely remember a documentary where he mentioned his experience.  He landed at a Soviet airfield and managed to convince them to let him fly it, when we still just about had some kind of relationship with them.  He wasn't overly impressed IIRC, saying he thought the Fw189 was superior.

IIRC to remember he also was rather doubtful about how well maintained it was and made the head of the ex-Luftwaffe ground crew fly with him.  He was critical of the aircraft's brakes (as he was of all Luftwaffe aircraft BTW, they were "too soft" in his opinion) and found it easy to fly but apparently didn't like the view.  I believe it was one of the earlier versions without the Fw189 like cabin though.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

As an idle thought :-\ to "More thoughts on post war 109s"

what if the Spanish got the K series 109s without the engines, fitted Merlins
and later (with closer ties to Czech's being necassary) rebuilt them to S-199
standard, but instead of the Jumo 211F substituted the RR Griffon?
would it look better with clipped wings?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Wooksta!

The Spanish Buchons were better from the start than the Czech 199s, simply because the Spanish aircraft were largely new build - the S99s were rebuilt and reconditioned airframes.

Can't see Spain and Czechoslovakia swapping technology - Franco and communists?  Doubtful.

K without DB?  Spain would have went to Hispano then Merlin.  You're looking at pretty much reality but with a better canopy and a tall tail.  Subtle but I prefer my plan.

IIRC, the E and the F/G/K wing have pretty much the same area despite the difference in shape.  Clipping the wings would increase the already high wing loading.  It's something I did a long time back (1998/99) with the Revell G-10 and it does change the shape dramatically.

Still have a liking for the late 109s - G10 and the K series mainly.  And definitely the S199.

There's a photo here of my Bf 109L
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,10674.0

IIRC, Martin has the actual model.  It's a reworked Heller K.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Captain Canada

Any pics of the Lancs ? Be interesting to see what you're talking about there. Always nice to see a Lancaster pop up here !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

The Lancasters didn't get much further than major component assembly, although one or two got as far as being primed and the second AEW got it's first colour on.

Then, as so many times previously, I lost focus and changed to something else.  It was Tempests and now it's Blenheims.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 21, 2014, 02:38:49 PM
IIRC, Martin has the actual model.  It's a reworked Heller K.

Yes Ive got that one down here. It part of what I call the SIG's display reserve collection.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Captain Canada

Are we going to see some pics ? look forward to seeing the Beaufighter.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Doing some forming eh ? Always like to see that. Defo need to try it myself one of these days. The Beau sounds like a plan, and has me idea thinking for the BoB build. Do you have Shak wings now or do you need some ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?