The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

The Hunter anniversary sounds good to me and also gives me a reason to try and finish a few of the Hunters I have part built.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Look hard enough in any history and you can find cracks, gaps, opportunities not taken, roads not travelled and customers unwilling to buy. True, that needs research and not everyone enjoys reading nor has access to the relevant information. Plus not everyone has an active imagination.

And you need both. I've always argued that if you have a good enough imagination, backed by enough information, then nothing is unwhiffable. You just need to have conviction in your voice, either in person or on the printed page, enough knowledge plus some bravado, and anything is possible.
  As copied from Lee's not a spitfire blog.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about whiffery and most succinctly expressed  I think that all of us here assembled would agree.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

I have been finding exactly the same problem with the Xtrakit Hunter cockpit. Fit, fettle and repeat, numerous times.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

It's now at a stage where t can go together fairly quickly, but I've had to leave it for a few days.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Keep cracking away at the Hunters, Lee.  Always interesting to hear of your progress, I'll be in touch by PM for tips on the Xtrakit T7 when I get round to whiffing mine.

Your Odds & Ordnance T7-based conversion: are you keeping both guns for added whifness?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Definitely. Too good not to use. The PJ conversion gives an additional half with the gun moulded on.

Xtrakit T7
Sand the hell out of the resin exhaust insert. Alternately, replace it with a Revell pipe. The kit has an export jetpipe for the big bore Avon that RAF T-birds never had. I'll pass along a spare PJ one for RAF ones.

The wings. Ensure that the wing roots are well glued together and sand the sides of the wheel well where they meet that stupid box thing.  Also chamfer the roots a tad.
Cockpit tub. Assemble and then sand the sides. Also thin the sides of the instrument panel. Don't bother with the instrument film, as you can see sod all anyway. Just additional faff.
Cut a trench under the coaming to make sure the front closes.  Or at least there's a minimal gap.
The nose gear bay needs the sides chamfering for a better fit.
The wheels look like buttons but have etch to dress them up. It doesn't work, so a set of new ones will help. I'll pass along some resin ones based on the Airfix FGA9 ones.

Hope that helps.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours with the extended Bf109 family.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The wings gave just gone on an A-Model Hispano Ha-1109 (RAF forced down after illegally entering Gibraltar airspace) and a Zlinek G-10 ( is probably getting the recce pack and going Swedish or possibly Finnish, as I need a dark scheme to hide the rough kit).

Lots of playing about with spare wings and airframes.  I've a lot of spares.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

I recognise that rabbithole feeling, and the blocking it causes. I hope you're finding a good way around it.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Some interesting builds going on Lee, good to see the pic's  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Looking at all the Messerschmitts, whole all looks good, the Jumo-engined, bigtailed one really entices me. Much looking forward to see that once completed!  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

I've edited the post. It's a Toad Resins kit that stalled a good 25 years ago and I'd always intended it as a Czech machine, but as I have a second, it could well go RAF captured. Either way, it's still getting the blown hood.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Lost Cosmonauts

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

It has returned, but gone down a strange rabbit hole I never intended.  still, a chance to finish some long stalled stuff.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

It's actually a nice thing, following your lusts without questions. I try to do that when it occurs, and generally, some rather fun stuff comer out of it, those Super Deuces of mine being an example.