The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Is the Special Hobby Hornet bad?

I've got at least one FROG Hornet and was thinking about getting the Special Hobby version, but perhaps not now.

Plus I have one treasured Skybirds 86 kit too, but after building their MB5 I'm not as impressed with the quality of their kits quite so much.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Hmmmn.  I really dislike it, because it has panel lines where there should be none and none where the should be.  The canopy shape is out and the resin doesn't want to go in. The Sea Hornets have no fold line, nor the prominent bulges for the actuator mechanism.  Wasn't happy with the fit either.  The bulk of mine were sold off at a loss so I could be shot of them.  That isn't to say that you couldn't do a good job on it - there's plenty of good builds of it out there - I just don't see it as a Hornet due to all the flaws colouring my eyes with poo-tinted spectacles.

Frog?  Old, crude, but a reasonable basis with a fair bit effort with some sanding, plastic strip and replacement resin wheels and tailwheel.

The Magna resin ones are okay, but only the Sea Hornet NF21 has the wing fold.  TBH, the Magna ones used a warmed over and tarted up Frog kit as a basis for the masters.

The Skybirds one is good, probably the best of the Hornets released, but you have to follow the instructions and some parts do require a fair bit of sanding.  I've built two and amassed a fair few for use later when I start doing a line-up of real Hornets
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Just what I needed Lee, thanks. The definitive 1/72 scale Hornet kit comparison in a nutshell.  :thumbsup: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2017, 07:14:27 AM
Just what I needed Lee, thanks. The definitive 1/72 scale Hornet kit comparison in a nutshell.  :thumbsup: ;D

Yup  :thumbsup:

I've a few of the various Special Hobby ones in the stash, so thanks for the warning re the resin bits and if I'm honest the panel lines don't really worry me. My paintwork doesn't leave many to look at anyway. Also have a couple of Magna ones in the collection.

I will build some at some stage as it's one of my favourite aircraft but it's not at the top of the list.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Interesting to read about the part started Mosquitos and your plans for them. I'm just wondering how you ended up with so many part started kits ? I think you've more part started's then I have kits in the stash !  :angel: Is it a case of just running out of steam or other ideas coming into your head ?

I need to pick your brain at Northern about Mosquito's and two stage engines.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

So many part started?  I don't know why.  I'm happiest gluing bits together and sanding.  Largely, once they've got their primer on, I tend to lose a bit of interest, possibly because I have to start painting things and I *really* hate masking and I find decalling quite tedious also.

Plus I don't have a particularly long attention span and I get distracted easily by other projects or I just go off at tangents.  I always have.  Another possible reason is that I have one idea, start the kit and have another three or four, so they get started and then forgotten.  It's rare that I'll pick something up and see it through to the end within a reasonable time frame - say, a fortnight.  On reflection, it's not that rare, as I've done it with a Beaufighter and a couple of Blenheims this year.

That's not to say that I can't work quickly.  I can get an airframe ready for primer within 24 hours from a standing start if need be - I did that with an Airfix Vb once, and that included casting various bits for it - but everything slows down when it comes to paint.  NEXT!

Anything in mind for two stage Merlin Mosquitos?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 30, 2017, 04:52:54 AM

Anything in mind for two stage Merlin Mosquitos?

Not really mate just want to pick your brain a bit and understand something a little better

The Wooksta!

I'll point you towards the Frichard Franks SAMI Mosquito Datafile that was re-published last year.

There's a good section on understanding the various airframe engine differences, but it's a good 15 years out of date with regards to conversion bits - he's recommending parts that have been unavailable since before 2000!  They'd simply republished it but neglected to update it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

NARSES2

Interesting to read your De Haviland progress  :thumbsup:

I've also been thinking of a Tiger Force Mossie using the Tamiya B IV with some Paragon resin bits.

NARSES2

Looking forward to the desert stuff in particular Lee.

I did a RAF P.39 in desert colours a good few years ago, suits the scheme.

PR19_Kit

Glad you got the serials in place.

I've found that the 'stickability' of the things is a moveable feast, depending on the batch of the decal paper that I've got. I've only bought them from one supplier so far and you can't tell the difference in quality from one batch to the next just by looking at them.  :banghead:

I'm thinking of changing supplier as the current lot, Crafty Computer Paper, have been 'out of stock' for all their clear paper for some time now, and don't respond to requests for information, so the variable quality issue may get resolved by a new suppler.....

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Enjoying reading about your twin engined progress Lee.

Wondering if we will be seeing a twin engined display of the same size as last year's Spitfire one any time soon at a Northern show ?  ;)

zenrat

The thought of the modelling equivalent of the Nuremberg Triais intrigues me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Wooksta, as you're our Spitfire expert, can you please tell me what the diameter of a four bladed Spitfire propeller is?  I cannot find it online and I have my eye on some resin propellers for a Whiff.   I'd like to know how the props are.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.