The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Lee, it's a hobby not a marriage.  It's meant to be fun.  If you're not enjoying it then you are allowed to stop and try something else.  Gritting your teeth and forcing yourself to carry on is not required.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Must admit if I have troubles with a kit then I work on a nice easier "fall together one" like a modern Airfix or older Hasegawa single engined job.. That way you can just relax whilst building it and give your self a chance to recover.

After my trip up North I want to have a go at one of my Valom Brigand's and a SH Hornet. See how they go
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: rickshaw on May 23, 2017, 08:25:28 PM
Wooksta, as you're our Spitfire expert, can you please tell me what the diameter of a four bladed Spitfire propeller is?  I cannot find it online and I have my eye on some resin propellers for a Whiff.   I'd like to know how the props are.

Pass!  That's the sort of JMN rivet countery type question that causes my eyes to glaze over.  Best place to ask would be Britmodeller.  I know what looks and feels right in 72nd for four blade props - certainly Merlin ones - and which manufacturers seemed to have nailed it.

Depends what the props are for and which resin ones they are.  And you didn't specify Merlin or Griffon - different rotation.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: zenrat on May 23, 2017, 04:03:39 AM
The thought of the modelling equivalent of the Nuremberg Triais intrigues me.

Well, you'd have various individuals in the dock for producing really crap kits - Merlin, Mach Poo, Unicrap to name but three - and others for ripping off their customers.  I'd name names but, well, legal issues.

TBH, it's really borrowed and adapted from a comment about UK comedian Stewart Lee.  The following link is NOT SAFE for work due to lots of swearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Puggk5MCA
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 25, 2017, 05:25:58 PM
Wooksta, as you're our Spitfire expert, can you please tell me what the diameter of a four bladed Spitfire propeller is?  I cannot find it online and I have my eye on some resin propellers for a Whiff.   I'd like to know how the props are.

Pass!  That's the sort of JMN rivet countery type question that causes my eyes to glaze over.  Best place to ask would be Britmodeller.  I know what looks and feels right in 72nd for four blade props - certainly Merlin ones - and which manufacturers seemed to have nailed it.

Depends what the props are for and which resin ones they are.  And you didn't specify Merlin or Griffon - different rotation.

I was referring to in real life, Wooksta.  However, thanks for your time.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

10'9" on VI (Merlin 47), VII (Merlin 61) and LF IX (Merlin 66).

10'5" on XII (Griffon MB)

11'3" on VB Floatplane (Merlin 45)

Source - The Spitfire Story by Alfred Price
Haynes Publishing 2010 edition

HTH
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 25, 2017, 11:57:51 PM

Hmm, I wonder why they went to the trouble of fitting a non-standard prop to the floatplane VBs? And only 6" non-standard at that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Thanks for the advice re the Magna kits. Think I might work on one of the Vallom Bristol's over the summer now
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2017, 02:44:42 AM

Hmm, I wonder why they went to the trouble of fitting a non-standard prop to the floatplane VBs? And only 6" non-standard at that.

Maybe to keep it out of the water/spray to save it from tip damage?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on June 02, 2017, 08:33:00 AM

Regards
Keith

But it was LARGER...........by 6"  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 02, 2017, 02:35:26 PM
Quote from: TallEng on June 02, 2017, 08:33:00 AM

Regards
Keith

But it was LARGER...........by 6"  :o

Oops! 'TILT' I didn't R.T.Q did I? Obviously larger, to act as a water propeller during the fist stage of take off to assist in gaining speed as soon as possible..... ;D or maybe knot.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

Or there's a mistake in the book.  It is only one source after all.
It's a useful book but it is irritating as it doesn't tabulate this sort of data in one place.  You have to flick through it to find the relevant info.
Fred

rickshaw

Source - The Spitfire Story by Alfred Price
Haynes Publishing 2010 edition

HTH

Thanks, mate.  Now, that is exactly what  I was looking for!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

WHAT? You're thinking of doing a 'twin' Lee?  :o

I didn't think I'd live to see the day etc. etc.  ;D ;D

If you're looking for a standard AZ MB5 to cast I've got an unbuilt one knocking about somewhere that you could borrow I think.

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!