The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I think it was a bomber version given the October '39 date for the proposal, four RR Merlin XX or Bristol Hercules HE7SM, but the weight of the engines cut into range and payload hence it was abandoned.  Reference to a Hercules engined postwar trainer though - it'd look good with the blanked off turrets, although the late GR nose looks cool, Hastings or Varsity type engine cowlings and in overall Aluminium dope with yellow T bands and type D roundels. Or the transport scheme and big yellow panels for the Empire Training School.

Source is the Profile on the type, I have a hard copy but it can be downloaded here: https://boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aircraft-Profiles/Britain/WW2/Vickers-Armstrongs-Warwick

Lots of good information in it - projects, type numbers, serials which include cancelled batches...  And some really nice colour profiles.

Airfix or Special Hobby - can we please have this in injection?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Ah yes, I've got that Profile up in The Loft, along with a pile of others about 2 feet high!  :o

I like the idea of the trainer with the blanked off turrets and yellow stripes. Rather like the RAF Museum's Wellington used to look when they first took it over.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'm surprised that Vickers didn't use the Warwick wing for postwar transports.  A longer wing would give more lift - the Tudor was originally to have had a stardard lancaster wing but evolved with a Lincoln/Shackleton combination.

A lengthened Valetta with a Warwick wing could have been a bit more useful.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

This "big aircraft" thing has certainly boosted your mojo  :thumbsup:

Good to see the idea factory back in full swing.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

BOAC had some DC-7Cs, visually quite similar to the DC-6.

The ancient FROG 1/96 scale DC-7C came in that scheme. Amazingly I have two of them, goodness knows why......  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

I have a Lancastrian conversion too. The idea is to put the Frog Shackleton wings on it (got a cheap one) for an 'ultimate performance' Lancaster-ish thing, but I can't decide what purpose to give it, and I also don't have a solution (yet) to the issue of whether and how to have a pressure cabin.

Role possibilities:

1. High speed/altitude unarmed bomber, like a big Mosquito essentially, possibly from Tony William's Foresight War universe.

2. Photo-recce.

3. Some kind of civilian research/transport/speed-record-for-class type.

4. Mothership for a British sub-orbital rocket plane, possibly an alternative to the Canberra/Britannia combination (which I don't like) seen in the Ministry of Space graphic novel.

Of course, some or all of those could be combined into an interesting history for a single airframe, i.e. prototype bomber/recce aircraft doesn't go into production at the end of the war, then gets used for space and/or other research programs.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on March 13, 2018, 07:59:27 AM
I have a Lancastrian conversion too. The idea is to put the Frog Shackleton wings on it (got a cheap one) for an 'ultimate performance' Lancaster-ish thing, but I can't decide what purpose to give it, and I also don't have a solution (yet) to the issue of whether and how to have a pressure cabin.

Role possibilities:

1. High speed/altitude unarmed bomber, like a big Mosquito essentially, possibly from Tony William's Foresight War universe.

2. Photo-recce.

4. Mothership for a British sub-orbital rocket plane, possibly an alternative to the Canberra/Britannia combination (which I don't like) seen in the Ministry of Space graphic novel.

Of course, some or all of those could be combined into an interesting history for a single airframe, i.e. prototype bomber/recce aircraft doesn't go into production at the end of the war, then gets used for space and/or other research programs.

Combine options 2 and 3.   A photo survey aircraft for either the Ordnance Survey or the Foreign and Colonial Office (photo mapping for the colonies before granting independence)........or you could go wild and give it a Nene engine (or something) sticking out of the blunt end as an engine test hack.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on March 13, 2018, 09:11:15 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 13, 2018, 07:59:27 AM

Role possibilities:

2. Photo-recce.

Combine options 2 and 3.   A photo survey aircraft for either the Ordnance Survey or the Foreign and Colonial Office (photo mapping for the colonies before granting independence)........or you could go wild and give it a Nene engine (or something) sticking out of the blunt end as an engine test hack.

What, like this one you mean?  ;D

Actually I've just realised something: AIM do a conversion for the Shack wings to add late Mk.3 outer nacelles with Viper turbojets in them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

YES! That's exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for illustrating my comment so magnificently.

NARSES2

Does sound as though you've been a bit busy at work Lee. Still hopefully you will get something back for all the effort you put in  :thumbsup:

I see you mention Telford being just around the corner. I had exactly the same thoughts yesterday and then realised we are very near the final straight  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

I've never mentioned it before now, but I do appreciate the quotations at the start of each of your blog posts.  Thank you for the entertainment they provide!

The Wooksta!

As long as you know where they're from and who says them!  And I try to keep them relevant to the post.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Ref the Moonbat Lee. Anigrand do one, I've got one in the stash, but like you I'd love to see an injection moulded one.

I've built the CMK kit and it's a little rough in places but o.k.

NARSES2

Lee

Where are you planning on putting all these 4 engined types when finished ?

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: