The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I saw one at a show a good twenty years back - think it was the Chiltern show when it was held at Salisbury Hall - and it looked pretty decent.  The guy was glutton for punishment, as he'd done the Contrail one as well.  One was in camo, the other was in white, but I can't recall which was in what now, although I do have some photos somewhere.

IIRC, didn't Mike McEvoy build one for SAM?  He definitely did an ARBA one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I can remember him doing the ARBA one, if only because it triggered me into getting one, and I've still got it.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

QuoteI did think about a delta 1081, but that would be silly.

Why? Sounds a great idea to me.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

QuoteThe Brick was going quite nicely, as I've got a lot of the sub assemblies for the interior done and in place, but I can't close it up until I find out the correct shade of grey that's represented by Humbrols 40 and 196.  I know they're greys, but what shade?  I'm tempted to just go with Halfords finest in the lack of information coming my way, despite asking on the board THREE days ago and no one bothers answering.  Cheers, guys. 

Perhaps no-one knows the answer though?

Halfords finest can be almost any grey you like under variable lighting conditions. It's an almost perfect match for Sea Grey Medium.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Of all your current projects Lee I think the one I'm looking forward to the most is the twin tail Blenheim. Puts me in mind of the twin tail Beaufighter project, which I swear I have a conversion set for somewhere ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

The tail fins I'm using for the Blenheim are copies of those from the Alleycat twin tail Beaufighter, the tailplane is from a BF 110 as it fitted.  It's not far off a primer coat, but it's raining now.

And the greys I was querying are indeed not far from Halfords primer.  Which is nice.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 26, 2020, 04:49:37 PM
QuoteThe Brick was going quite nicely, as I've got a lot of the sub assemblies for the interior done and in place, but I can't close it up until I find out the correct shade of grey that's represented by Humbrols 40 and 196.  I know they're greys, but what shade?  I'm tempted to just go with Halfords finest in the lack of information coming my way, despite asking on the board THREE days ago and no one bothers answering.  Cheers, guys. 

Perhaps no-one knows the answer though?

Halfords finest can be almost any grey you like under variable lighting conditions. It's an almost perfect match for Sea Grey Medium.

Just seen the question and answered to the best of my knowledge. :o

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Apparently there's a Sea Venom FAW21 made by Cyber Hobby, would that be of any use for your Venom projects?

I know this because I was ill advised to get Pavla canopies for my Venom T5 and NF3 projects, but the Pavla canopy is for the Cyber Hobby kit and it's too narrow for either the Airfix T11 or the old FROG Sea Venom. Too narrow by about 1.5 mm sadly. :(

Erm, perhaps not. It seems this 1/72 scale kit costs over £60!!!!!!!

Forget I mentioned it.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Cyberhobby definitely do an RAF Venom NF, I've seen the boxing on ebay and it's about 30 notes.  Too pricey I think, but the resin one is twice that.

Edit: King Kit have them in for £22 but that's before VAT and postage on top will force it up to £30.  Still just a shade too pricey.

I've some spare two seat Venom canopies but your parcel is all sealed and ready to go.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

I've seen the Cyber Hobby Sea Venom and lets just say it had some issues. My memory is that the reviews were not that great either.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2020, 07:18:21 AM
I've seen the Cyber Hobby Sea Venom and lets just say it had some issues. My memory is that the reviews were not that great either.

I think Lee and I had this discussion on the Venom thread very recently when I asked similar questions about the Cyber Hobby Venom / Sea Venom  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Apologies, memory is obviously going as I do read every post in my capacity as a Moderator.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2020, 07:34:15 AM
Apologies, memory is obviously going as I do read every post in my capacity as a Moderator.

It wasn't meant as a dig at anyone's memory, it was more an observation of how some topics suddenly reappear very often and then will disappear again for ages. Heck I forget my own posts!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

The Wooksta!

I know about the issues and I'm minded to get one despite them, largely because the work to bring the Frog one up to scratch - and that's BEFORE converting back to an RAF one - is considerable.  And the other options are very pricey. 60 notes for a Venom?  I can get a new tool Airfix Victor for that and still have change for a bottle of rum*.

*Admittedly a bottle of inexpensive gut rot from Tesco...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Rheged

The Buccaneers are there as it's Eagle that's mothballed rather than Ark Royal (the former was in better condition so it made more sense) but it takes a bit longer to bring her back to service so she sails as soon as she is ready rather than with the Task Force, about two weeks later, so the early Black Buck missions go ahead and destroy the runway.  As Eagle closes in, the Buccaneers are used to supplement the Vulcan raids on the Argie radar. 

If anyone wants to do a Phantom to go with this scenario, feel free.  There's more likelihood of Nicola Sturgeon becoming the next Pope or Sunderland AFC winning the Champion's League than me building a Phantom.

I like the "Brick from Eagle" scenario, it makes a lot of sense historically . I wait with eager anticipation to see/read your  build. A backstory might even include a Buccaneer excursion at minimum altitude  through Buenos Aires to "educate" the locals, as was undertaken in Lebanon---Operation Pulsator.

As to  a Phantom in this scenario, may I offer an alternative?   Having got hold of a Phantom, Supermarine took it in hand and modified it considerably:  twin Speys, UK electronics, high performance MB bang seats etc ( add as much more impenetrable technobabble here as necessary):  The beast was so much modified that it was judged to be a different machine.....Ladies, Gentlemen  and others, I offer you THE SUPERMARINE SPECTRE. People could even make a prototype out of it if they  wish, as long as they acknowledge your  original input in their work.

I also concur with your assessment that a cup-winners open top bus ride around Wearside is not very likely.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet