The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 22, 2021, 02:31:41 PM

Now I know I can get more, I'm getting more ideas. One with one of the Phantom units was on the cards, but other than 43 Sqn, all are either sexy and that flew Lightning and thus too obvious, or strike squadrons replacing Canberra. I did get the cockpit section, to do a preserved front end, so that could be the camouflaged 43 Sqn one.

64 Sqn is the only non Lightning option of the Phantom fighter squadrons.  They were the shadow squadron of the OCU.

Failing that, there are are two Meteor NF sheets by Modeldecal that have several marking options.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=8135&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=Meteor+NF&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&restore_search=&save_search_active=yes&save_search_name=&save_search=

If you've got a Revell Hunter F. 6 it has some 66 Sqn markings. After the Hunter, the squadron operated Belvedere's for a short period before disbanding permanently.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Quote from: Mossie on August 23, 2021, 07:05:00 AM

Now I know I can get more, I'm getting more ideas. One with one of the Phantom units was on the cards, but other than 43 Sqn, all are either sexy and that flew Lightning and thus too obvious, or strike squadrons replacing Canberra. I did get the cockpit section, to do a preserved front end, so that could be the camouflaged 43 Sqn one.

64 Sqn is the only non Lightning option of the Phantom fighter squadrons.  They were the shadow squadron of the OCU.

Failing that, there are are two Meteor NF sheets by Modeldecal that have several marking options.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=8135&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=Meteor+NF&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&restore_search=&save_search_active=yes&save_search_name=&save_search=

If you've got a Revell Hunter F. 6 it has some 66 Sqn markings. After the Hunter, the squadron operated Belvedere's for a short period before disbanding permanently.

43 never flew Lightnings. 

Now there's a thought.....
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

Quote from: kitbasher on August 23, 2021, 12:19:14 PM
Quote from: Mossie on August 23, 2021, 07:05:00 AM

43 never flew Lightnings. 

Now there's a thought.....

There there is.  I got a blind spot there.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Hence that being the unit that gets P.8 instead of Phantom.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 23, 2021, 03:14:30 AM
I was fortunate to have been gifted some of Alistair's earlier 3d printed prototypes last year and I have to confess they have remained in the box.  The FD3 and the twin engine RAE fighter design were the two I most wanted to give a makeover, so once I have the Mosquito out of the way, I may well dig them out. The RAE thing would definitely go in the greys but the FD3...  I need to have a bit more of a think.

"Gifted"!? You gave me an book crammed cover to cover with vintage temptation and exotic delights (Project Cancelled)

Interested to see what you make of the refurb - the FDM printer did a decent job of them but struggled with getting a smooth surface and anything like wheel struts. Both are eventually getting a rework in resin but if you're doing the FD3 in the meantime would you like a couple of Red Dean missiles bunged in with whatever I send you next?

Aye, go on. I'll put an order in Monday.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Quote...Comments go in the other thread..

Sorry mate.  My bad - I had missed this comment thread alltogether  :-\
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Lost Cosmonauts

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Lost Cosmonauts

In answer to your question on the main blog: Yes, very much reading and enjoying

To your other points:
- Two seater P.8? Tandem version in the works
- P.6 will happen soon just need a settled desk, the scans of the plans, some quiet and a bit of headspace to rattle it out
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

Woo hoo!

Woo indeed hoo!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Ah. There, the comments thread is. I have, unsuccessfully, I might add, been looking for it.
How about adding a little link to it on your blog?  ;)

kitbasher

Quote from: Pellson on September 04, 2021, 06:18:15 AM
Ah. There, the comments thread is. I have, unsuccessfully, I might add, been looking for it.

Yes please, old linky seems duff.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on September 04, 2021, 06:48:37 AM

Works for me
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I did a tandem 2-seat Lightning a good many years ago, I think it was my 2nd ever Whiff in fact.

I lengthened a Matchbox F6 with another chunk of F6 and used an Airmodel vacform Mirage III canopy, and did a few other things to it as below. It was called the Lightning F8.........

Yeah, I KNOW it's 74 Sqdn..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2021, 05:43:06 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on September 04, 2021, 06:48:37 AM

Works for me

It didn't for me. But now it does.  :thumbsup:

There's no such thing as a Lightning too much, so go ahead! One obvious user should be Denmark, replacing the Hunters of no 724 Sqn RDAF specifically tasked with low level air defence, much like the RAF no 19 and 92 sqns in Germany. I mean - the camo is already there..  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 07, 2021, 01:50:09 PM

One obvious user should be Denmark, replacing the Hunters of no 724 Sqn RDAF specifically tasked with low level air defence, much like the RAF no 19 and 92 sqns in Germany. I mean - the camo is already there..  ;)

True enough ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.