The Wooksta!: Not a Spitfire Blog - comments thread.

Started by The Wooksta!, May 01, 2012, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2022, 02:14:57 PM
How roomy was it Dave?

OK.  Very comfy, reclined seat.

Imagine one of the Chandler Bing/Joey Tribbiani recliner chairs they sat in to watch TV, add a thrusty jet and missiles and that's basically an F-16.

Some may disagree 😉
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Hehehehe, all that and a side stick too?

Did it have a cup holder as well?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2022, 02:48:38 AM
Hehehehe, all that and a side stick too?

Did it have a cup holder as well?

Side stick on the right, cup holder on the left.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Was there a donut rack too?

US donuts are crap.  I had some when I was there and they were decidedly bland.  Not a patch on Greggs, who do the best jam donuts in the world.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 31, 2022, 05:14:16 AM
Was there a donut rack too?

US donuts are crap.  I had some when I was there and they were decidedly bland.  Not a patch on Greggs, who do the best jam donuts in the world.

Didn't see one, but it was a Belgian machine so there was possibly a waffle holder somewhere.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on July 31, 2022, 05:28:55 AM
Didn't see one, but it was a Belgian machine so there was possibly a waffle holder somewhere.

Frites and mayo holder with conformal tanks and special extra tube to the oxygen mask for beer
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

kitbasher

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on July 31, 2022, 06:40:59 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on July 31, 2022, 05:28:55 AM

Frites and mayo holder with conformal tanks and special extra tube to the oxygen mask for beer

You're thinking of the mid-life upgrade, Alistair, I was referring to late 80's F-16s!

PR19_Kit

A Super Huntsman in Royal Flight colours might look pretty smart.

Based at Benson of course.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Lee - your thoughts about adding a smaller 1083 wing to a P.1081 [and grafting] on a Sea Venom nose for a cheap supersonic FAW.

Dunno about supersonic but it could be an 'alternative' (i.e. your own) take on the DH.116.

NARSES2

Glad to read about your progress in your BLOG mate, but particularly interested in your Tempest Two Seater FAC. Often mused on a single seat contra-prop Tempest, so keen to see what it looks like.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I found the 1/144 Swallow sat on its wheels OK without any nose weight, so long as the wings were forward.

But of course half the fun of the darn thing is that the wings do swing, on the 1/72 version anyway.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

It's going to have to be in or out, because the tolerances in that area are quite tight, plus printing issues meant some of the pieces are warped (the four largest fuselages pieces, annoyingly all the same way) and it's baked in.  I can't explain what I mean, I'd have to show it.  It's like part of it has compressed.

Anyway, I've fixed the wing - pinned it and lots of superglue.  Plus all the filler that went on last night is sanded back and a new skim applied.  Should have it ready to prime by the weekend.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

I had the same problem with the little version, but Alistair hadn't designed those wings to swivel in the first place.

Egg on face time for me.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 10, 2022, 04:53:18 AM
It's going to have to be in or out, because the tolerances in that area are quite tight, plus printing issues meant some of the pieces are warped (the four largest fuselages pieces, annoyingly all the same way) and it's baked in.  I can't explain what I mean, I'd have to show it.  It's like part of it has compressed.

Anyway, I've fixed the wing - pinned it and lots of superglue.  Plus all the filler that went on last night is sanded back and a new skim applied.  Should have it ready to prime by the weekend.

I suspected the 1/72 would be pushing the build volume of the printer too much

If it is a bin job (or even if it is causing a nuisance) I'm happy to refund you all or part of the cost. No point in charging if it isn't buildworthy
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

The Wooksta!

No need. It's buildable, but it is fighting back.  TsrJoe got his together with what look the same issues. If one can do it, so can another.  It just means a lot of sanding, test fitting and repeat. And I'm not known as The Sandmaster for nothing!

I think 72nd is doable but rotating the parts to horizontal would help. Could also mean you could make them hollow, so less resin and print time?

The other thing I can suggest is taking a mm off the depth of the wings at the root and the equivalent amount in the fuselage to enable the parts to fit and rotate properly, especially when paint is applied.

I NEVER bin anything unless I know it's garbage. This isn't. A few issues yes, but nothing that isn't fixable without sanding, super glue, plastic card, filler and swearing.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: