Jet powered c-130 idea

Started by coolpop6307, May 01, 2012, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolpop6307

Well I was sitting here thinking about if a c-130 could be powered by jets. It seems like it would work but im not sure what kind of jets. So what do you think about it. :unsure:  :lol:

Thanks joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

McColm

Something similar to the YC-14/YC-15 with CFM pod engines mounted over the wings or under the wings. I was thinking along the same lines for a jet powered
C-130 seaplane.
You could also use the wings from the Airfix 1/72 Hawker/BAe Nimrod kit, I did that using a Revell 1/72 Br.1150 Atlantic fuselage and cut the wing section off the spruce provided in the Airfix kit. I decided on the undercarriage in the gear-up position as the ground clearence isn't that good even if you choose to use the Atlantic wheels and legs. You'll have to use the spruce from the kit or a coat hanger to strenghten the wings.
I've been thinking of using the Nimrod wings on a Lockheed C-69 Connie, tried a dry test on a Super Connie but didn't look too good as the wing looks tiny compaired to the rest of the kit.

NARSES2

I take it you've seen this pic from the Perth show ?

Chris

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35047.30.html
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, that 4 x Pegasus VTOL Herk must be the ultimate Jet Herk!  ;D

And it would have gone like crazy on the level, with 92000 lbs of thrust!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

... & had a very short take-off run! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

bearmatt

:o :blink:

Good lord! Fortunately the Herk has big tanks
The carpet monster took it!

kitnut617

According to Evan Mayerle (our long time resident engineer here -- ) there was an actual Lockheed proposal for that, we've just been discussing it on BTS.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

I'd go with a four engine set blowing over the top of the wing.  Add some crazy multiple flaps and you get what the YC-14 should have been.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

albeback

I like the idea. How about a pair of CFM-56 engines. With about 24000lbs thrust apiece, that would probably be more than enough needed.  TF-33 turbofans might be another good idea - probably 4? Would you not need a more efficient, swept back wing though? Maybe a moderate degree of sweep back like the BAE 146 (or whatever it's called nowadays).

This might sound slightly mental but, how about a combining the wings (or parts thereof) from  (say) a KC-135 with the C-130 fuselage? Might look a bit out of proportion on the bog standard Herky bird but, on the stretched versions.................................????? :unsure:

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

The Wooksta!

It's been done.  Thorvic used them as a basis for his HS681 scratchbuilds.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2012, 01:49:55 AM
Oh yes, that 4 x Pegasus VTOL Herk must be the ultimate Jet Herk!  ;D

And it would have gone like crazy on the level, with 92000 lbs of thrust!  :o

I must say that I am not so sure about the VTO bit, maybe more of a STOVL type.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

coolpop6307

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 02, 2012, 01:45:34 AM
I take it you've seen this pic from the Perth show ?

Chris

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35047.30.html

This is exactly what i mean but without the vtol part Thanks
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

coolpop6307

Okay I started thinking what about some of the engines from a b-47 under it.  :tornado:
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

kitnut617

Quote from: coolpop6307 on May 02, 2012, 04:32:30 PM
Okay I started thinking what about some of the engines from a b-47 under it.  :tornado:

Not out of the realms of possibilities -- a C-123 was fitted that way (a project I'm going to do one day)

As the C-130 is a bigger aircraft, why not go with pods from a B-52, there's an outfit in the States which makes pods to convert the Revell/Monogram B-52D into a B-52H so you wouldn't have to take parts from a B-52 kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 03, 2012, 07:07:05 AM
As the C-130 is a bigger aircraft, why not go with pods from a B-52, there's an outfit in the States which makes pods to convert the Revell/Monogram B-52D into a B-52H so you wouldn't have to take parts from a B-52 kit.

Unless you want to fit CFM56's to the buff.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.