Gloster Reaper

Started by andrewj, May 02, 2012, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

During the desert battles in North Africa during 1941/42 it was realised that a good ground attack aircraft was able to dominate the battlefield if handled correctly. the Curtis Hawks and Hawker Hurricanes of the RAF were able to decimate Rommels lines of supply and when fitted with a 40mm cannon under each wing were able to knock out enemy armour. Further evidence of the effectiveness of these tactics began to filter back from observers in Russia, of the early use of the IL-2.
The Air Ministry approached several British companies with a view to obtaining a dedicated ground attack aircraft for the projected invasion of Europe. Martin Baker responded with an unorthodox twin tail, pusher aircraft ,whilst the Gloster company proposed an even more radical design.
Originally the Gloster GA 10A, [ Ground Attack model 1/0A ], was to have been powered by two Rolls Royce Merlin engines driving pusher propellers in order to keep the vunerable parts of the aircraft away from ground fire as much as possible. However, the Gloster designers heard about the new jet engines then in developement, they realised immediately the potential of these new engines for their new aircraft. No cooling system meant no vunerable radiators and also that the fuel used was much less volatile than the high octane fuel used in piston engines. They petitioned the Air Ministry to allow the use of the new engines in the new aircraft.
The design as finalised used many common parts from the Meteor Mk I fighter ,then in parallel developement, the basic fuselage , outer wing panels and undercarriage were all common parts. The aircraft had new inner wing panels with armoured fuel tanks, a twin tail, an armoured cockpit, two Halford H1 engines mounted inpods slightly above and behind the wing centre section.
This layout was chosen so that the armoured fuselage and wing centre section shielded the engines from groud fire,armament consisted of four 20mm Hispano cannon in the nose and bombs or 60lb rockets under the wings.
The production Reaper FI was powered by two Welland engines, [the H1 engines having been reserved for the DH Vampire ] in self contained "power eggs" which meant they could be easily replaced in the field, and began to enter service in August 1944.
This of course meant they were availible for the Invasion of Normandy, which had been postponed from June due to very stormy weather around the original date. The Gloster aircraft quickly replaced Hawkers Typhoon in squadrons due to the unreliability and vunerability to ground fire, of their Napier Sabre engins.
The Reaper proved devastating in its designed role ,leading the breakout from the Caen area, being mostly responsible for the devastation of the German forces at Falaise and helping to repel the German ofensive in the Ardennes at Christmas 1944. The Reaper was also well able to defend itself in air to air combat and several Me 262 jets fell to their guns.
With the end of hostilities in Europe the Reapper was unable to find a place in a peacetime airforce and quickly faded from the scene, in some cases being replaced by its stablemate the Meteor.
Forgotten by many the Reaper may have influenced the design of the similar Republic A10 in the USA many years later. The aircraft pictured here served with 247sqd RAF in December 1944

bobbo

The A-10's granddaddy!

Two Thumbs Up!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bobbo

flappydaffy

Quote from: bobbo on May 02, 2012, 11:21:22 AM
The A-10's granddaddy!

Two Thumbs Up!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bobbo

My thaughts exactly  :thumbsup:

The Rat

That models speaks for itself, and it says "I'm GREAT!"  :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Aircav

Excellent bit of modelling and well thought out too, super build.  :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Hobbes

kitbasher

That is excellent genius.  Retro A-10 like everyone says!  Seriously so good and an obvious - yet not done until now (as far as I know) - whif possibility.  Fantastic.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Well thought out and executed

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Positively BRILLIANT!    :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Slerski

« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

RussC

That is a really unique concept and build. Well Done  :wub: :wub: :wub:

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

ChernayaAkula

Hot damn, that's brilliant!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Martin H

Andrew my friend. You really need to get out to more shows. Your builds really need to be seen by the rest of the modeling world ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.