ZELL CF-104 on MM-1 Teracruzer- Completed, more pics

Started by sandiego89, May 08, 2012, 01:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Stand back boys it's going to be a big one!

A Zero Length Launch (ZELL) F-104 Starfighter mounted on a MM-1 Teracruzer.  Deployed near Baden-Sollingen, Germany.  

Brief backstory: To ensure preservation against a Warsaw pact attack, several NATO squadrons with nuclear equipped F-104's were mounted on MM-1 "Teracruzer" mobile launchers. The MM-1's were available with the retirement of the Mace missile from Europe. The MM-1's/F-104's would be dispersed to remote locations in times of crisis.  ZELL is achieved with a large booster rocket.  Recovery would be to surviving airfields, autobahns or bail out.  

The kits: 1/32 Revell F-104 (it will not be red)
1/32 Revell MM-1 "Teracruzer" transport/launcher. This was a 1980's re-release of the 1950's Renwall kit- which has just been re-relased again in a Renwall box.  

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

That's going to take up a LOT of sideboard space!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

This is gonna be BIG.....in more ways than one...!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

kerick

This will be great to watch!  Fantastic idea! :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

RotorheadTX

Alvis 3.14159

Scooterman

sandiego89

Have started on the F-104. This thing is huge!- I rarely do anything in such a large scale, and it seems especially huge since my last build was 1/350 scale!  Needed some primer to tone down the red. 

Grey primer on.  Green and other colors to cover.  Will be a traditional scheme worn by a NATO member. 

Cockpit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Ouch! That red really is RED!

Is it moulded in that colour styrene?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

coolpop6307

It is way to bright but it looks better with primer on it. :tornado:
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2012, 03:50:52 PM
Ouch! That red really is RED!

Is it moulded in that colour styrene?

Yes, ALL the F-104 sprues are molded in that bright, bright red.  It was the 25th aniversary scheme CF-104 for 421 squadron Canadian Air Force.  I believe other releases of this kit were molded in gray.    
Dave "Sandiego89"

Go4fun

I use flat black for a primer then use light misting colors to tone down colors.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

sandiego89

Main color on the F-104. 

Note the 1/72 scale F-104 fuselage for reference (gray fuselage by the wingtip).  About the same size as the 1/32 scale tip tanks!

Two Teracruzer tires on display.

Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

Where did you find the Terracruzer kit and how much was it?  Looks like an awesome combo!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Excellent project - got to be one of those rare models that you need a wide-angle lens rather than a close-up one for though.... ;)

Great site about the Terracruzer here, with lots of detail photos: http://www.mace-b.com/38TMW/Missiles/MM-1.htm
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones