ZELL CF-104 on MM-1 Teracruzer- Completed, more pics

Started by sandiego89, May 08, 2012, 01:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 06:32:18 PM
Where did you find the Terracruzer kit and how much was it?  Looks like an awesome combo!

Thank you.  I bought the kit about 20 years ago from the mail order Kit Bunker and it was $40.  Been in the stash for years. It was a limited run in the 1980's from the Revell History makers series of the old 1950's Renwall mold.  I saw it on the shelves in the 1980's but never bought it.

Good news is that the Renwall Teracruzer has been reissued in the spring of 2012. Currently available through order at your local hobby shop. I see it online through megahobby for $55.26 US dollars plus shipping. http://www.megahobby.com/search.aspx?find=teracruzer

If interested, I would get it now, as I imagine it will not been a major run (like the atomic cannon). After the 1980's History makers series it was out of production until 2012, so prices on Ebay for the original 1950's Renwall or 1980's history makers series were getting quite expensive ($200+) over the past few years.  $55 is a great deal for such a kit.  As with 1950's molds, the detail is rather sparse, but the mold is of good quality.  You could go crazy with extra detail, but I will go out of the box.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on May 21, 2012, 04:16:16 AM
Excellent project - got to be one of those rare models that you need a wide-angle lens rather than a close-up one for though.... ;)

Great site about the Terracruzer here, with lots of detail photos: http://www.mace-b.com/38TMW/Missiles/MM-1.htm

Thank you Weaver, yes that is a great site- I have been pouring over it as photos and info on the MM-1 Teracruzer seem quite rare.  Very neat truck with all sorts of Whif potential, or just plain cool as the stock Mace/Matador launcher/transporter.  Wish it existed in a smaller scale. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

On to the Teracruzer!  It is gigantic!

Spread on the garage floor, hope Mrs. Sandiego89 won't mind parking on the driveway for a bit.

The grey bagged piece is the Mace- hmmm perhaps a future Whif? 

1/72 scale Mirage III provided for reference.

Spread out for primer coat.

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dry fit on the Teracruzer.  Partial primer coat on. 

Quite impressed by the quality of the kit- very well designed for a 1950's mold.  Many pieces stay put without glue.

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 27, 2012, 01:32:25 PM

Quite impressed by the quality of the kit- very well designed for a 1950's mold.  Many pieces stay put without glue.

Wasn't that one of the 'Fit first and glue afterwards' Renwal kits? They showed the glue area in blue on the instructions, usually on the insides of parts you'd already assembled.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 27, 2012, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on May 27, 2012, 01:32:25 PM

Wasn't that one of the 'Fit first and glue afterwards' Renwal kits? They showed the glue area in blue on the instructions, usually on the insides of parts you'd already assembled.

Very likey Kit, but my instructions (all 18 pages with 78 steps) are purely Revell History Makers from their re-issue with no reference to the Renwal mold.  One piece has 1982 Revell stamped on it. It has been very much a fit first and glue afterwards build. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

MM-1 Tractor 90% done.  On to the trailer. Left and right rail done.  Erecting gear next. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Go4fun

Quite some kit there. This could get interesting.
What scale is it?Big enough to detail out well?
"Just which planet are you from again"?

sandiego89

Quote from: Go4fun on May 30, 2012, 03:40:24 PM
Quite some kit there. This could get interesting.
What scale is it?Big enough to detail out well?

it is 1/32 scale.  The kit has pretty good detail, but you could go crazy with super detailing if you wanted like wires, hydraulic lines, interior etc.  It is a really neat kit and comes together well. A well designed kit.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Sneak preview.  Test fit of the F-104 on the transporter/launcher.  The erector mechanism is very well designed and supports the F-104 in the trasnport configuration (shown) and in the raised/launch position.

Next up, final paint preps, build a centerline weapon. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

Very impressive!  How big are your shelves?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thank you.  MM-1 Teracruzer done except for weathering and markings.  Will apply some wash and grime to give it that used look. No more updates for a few days- off to a soccer tournament.   

23 inches overall.

Launch rails in the raised postion

Cab

Dave "Sandiego89"

Mossie

Heck of a beast, looking forward to seeing it all done!!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.