Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: salt6 on June 01, 2012, 05:39:36 PM
Did you think of doing missles on the wings rather than tanks?

No, not for the role I had in mind. This WHIF is not intended as an interceptor. The role i had envisioned was as nuclear stike with a single centerline store, so no missiles on the wings, as it needs the tip tanks for a meaningfull range. 

However, for a point defense fighter, a ZELL F 104 with missiles would be a good fit as well.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TsrJoe

Testors/Italeri 1/32 F.117 Nighthawk has 2x B.61 nukes with it as alternate stores to the usual lgb.'s, one would look neat as a centreline store, altho a suitable Mk.28 shape (as seen in pics of the West German ZELL. F.104) could be made from a suitable drop tank or bomb  :blink:

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

sandiego89

Quote from: TsrJoe on June 04, 2012, 09:22:02 AM
Testors/Italeri 1/32 F.117 Nighthawk has 2x B.61 nukes with it as alternate stores to the usual lgb.'s, one would look neat as a centreline store, altho a suitable Mk.28 shape (as seen in pics of the West German ZELL. F.104) could be made from a suitable drop tank or bomb  :blink:

Thanks for the tip.  The NATO member I am modeling had access to U.S. Mk.28's, Mk.43's and Mk.57's under a dual key arrangment, so I have a few options, but each poses modelling challenges.  I am thinking the Mk.28RE is what I will go for and am looking at suitable drop tanks for the purpose, but need to do some measuring...   
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Shape for nuclear centerline store found.....1/700 scale LOS ANGELES class sub.  Ultimate scaleorama!

I had picked up the sub on the bargain table.  The sub hull was spot on in scale diameter, but needed to loose 1.4 inches for a scale Mk-43 bomb.  Cut out section around sail area. 

Will make the shape a little more pointy and add appropriate tail fins from styrene.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Fantastic!  ;D :lol:

Watch that nuke doesn't start homing onto any sonar echoes it recieves!  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on June 06, 2012, 01:42:49 AM
Nice bit of lateral thinking! :thumbsup:

Seconded!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

My inclination would be to leave the sub fins on so all the JMNs can scratch their heads over them...... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

One Mk-57 "instant sunshine" assembled. Needs a little more sanding and paint. Does not look like a submarine anymore.

Booster next.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Booster assembled.  Weapon and booster painted. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

No-one would ever know that it served in the USN once..........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 16, 2012, 02:02:36 PM
No-one would ever know that it served in the USN once..........  ;D

It scaled out well.  My little (not so) secret.....
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Booster on.

I used the stock Mace booster, with 100,000 lbs of thrust.  Although the F-104 weighs more than the Mace (maybe @27,000 lbs in this configuration vs. 18,000 lbs for a Mace) the larger thrust of the F-104 makes the thrust to weight ratio about the same. (F-104 about 15,000 lbs of thrust in afterburner vs. 5,200 lbs for the Mace).

Either way, think you would want to stand well clear of the launch.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Finished with the build. 

CF-104 "646" deployed on a MM-1 Teracruzer 1972, Near Baden, West Germany.  

Backstory.  As part of the NATO nuclear stiking force, CF-104's were deployed from several bases in West Germany with a variety of US nuclear weapons under the dual key system.   With the retirement of the Mace missile system in Eurpoe dozens of MM-1 Teracruzer transporters/launchers became available and several squadrons of German and Canadian F-104 were modified to allow Zero Length Launches from the MM-1.  In time of increased tensions, or in the early hours a a Warsaw Pact attack, the CF-104's could be dispersed to remote sites to increase their chance of survival.  

Kits:
1/32 Revell History Makers Mace Missile Launcher, MM-1 Teracruzer
1/32 Revell F-104G Starfigter
1/700 Hobby Boss Los Angeles Class nuclear submarine- for the nuclear store shape

Launch mode:

transport mode

Dave "Sandiego89"

flappydaffy