Navaho Missile in RAF Service Query

Started by Cobra, May 09, 2012, 01:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, i was doing some Research on Google when a Question Popped into my Head. Had the Navaho Missile or Anything Similar ever Been Looked at by the RAF? i ask because I've often wondered if a System like that Would have worked for the RAF to Protect the UK from Threat during the Cold War. Thanks for looking. Dan

Mossie

Similar systems were studied by Avro, I can't remember the details off-hand but they're detailed in Chris Gibson's Vulcan's Hammer.  If I get a chance later I'll have a look unless somebody else beats me to it.  In the end they went for a MRBM in the form of Blue Streak although this was eventually cancelled.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

There was an earlier British effort to produce a flying bomb/cruise missile (with nowhere near that performance though) under the project name UB.109T, the Vickers submission being "Red Rapier" and the Bristol one "Blue Rapier":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UB.109T
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Ooooohh, an RAF Nahaho, what an AWESOME idea!  :wub:

I've always loved the look and the idea of the Navaho even if it didn't work too well, but here in Whiffworld anything is possible. If I could scrape up the £80 or so I'd need I'd have one of those resin Navahos already, but that may have to wait a while. I can imagine a set of launch pads just outside the peri-track at Marham.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Well, if you can stretch to sixty quid Renaud also does the X-10, ripe for a manned conversion since it has landing gear and is about 20m long.  Or, you could scalorama it to 1/144 as a hypersonic bomber or airliner! ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: Mossie on May 09, 2012, 08:28:45 AM
Well, if you can stretch to sixty quid Renaud also does the X-10, ripe for a manned conversion since it has landing gear and is about 20m long.  Or, you could scalorama it to 1/144 as a hypersonic bomber or airliner! ;)

I think that (very faintly and in the far distance)  I can hear a scaleorama 'd    Bloodhound or Thunderbird  approaching.......................
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 09, 2012, 08:28:45 AM

Oh yes, the X-10 is a good starter, and I love the shape of it too, but that resin Navaho kit comes complete with the MONSTER booster too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

RussC

Rather surprised that the BOMARC was not considered for UK air defense.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Probably because the Bloodhound was pretty darn good anyway. It had exceedingly long range for its size, around 69 miles, because it was ramjet powered, and it was almost certainly cheaper for us in real terms. The Bomarc had a much longer range but would have cost the UK taxpayer a small fortune, which we didn't have.........

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hm, I was sure someone on here posted a link to that resin Navaho kit, but I can't find it now.

Anyone got any pointers for me please?

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: RussC on May 09, 2012, 09:54:25 AM
Rather surprised that the BOMARC was not considered for UK air defense.

BSP4 covers this - apparently the BOMARC guidance system was thought to be too vulnerable to jamming, and the range was deemed "excessive".
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 09, 2012, 11:55:05 AM
BSP4 covers this - apparently the BOMARC guidance system was thought to be too vulnerable to jamming, and the range was deemed "excessive".

Over 250 miles apparently, but that took some digging. It's not mentioned on the Bomarc Wiki page.   :banghead:

They'd be downing Bears and Bisons over Holland!

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 09, 2012, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on May 09, 2012, 11:55:05 AM

Over 250 miles apparently, but that took some digging. It's not mentioned on the Bomarc Wiki page.   :banghead:

They'd be downing Bears and Bisons over Holland!
Good news for us - rather less good for the Dutch, I fear.

martinbayer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 09, 2012, 10:12:44 AM
Hm, I was sure someone on here posted a link to that resin Navaho kit, but I can't find it now.

Anyone got any pointers for me please?

Kit,

New Ware has one in 1/144 http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/nw075.htm, and Sharkit one in did one in 1/72 http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/navaho/navaho.htm.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: martinbayer on May 09, 2012, 02:52:47 PM
Kit,

New Ware has one in 1/144 http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/nw075.htm, and Sharkit one in did one in 1/72 http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/navaho/navaho.htm.

Martin

Magic Martin, thanks. It looks like an email to Renax is in order as he still has the Navaho listed on his home page at E96, not quite as bad as I expected.  ;D

Regards
Kit