From an Idea by Sir Sydney Camm and Tophe (finished)

Started by TallEng, May 11, 2012, 11:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Thanks everybody,  :thumbsup:
But now I have a bit of a puzzle :unsure:
The Royal Mail is or was operated by the Government, and staffed by Civilians, so what sort of registration markings should the Post Hurricane wear?
I suppose the Aircraft could Carry military serial numbers and still be flown by Civil Post Pilots, but I could see that
This might cause problems when flying over or too Countries that had a strained relationship with Britain and or the Empire, or for Intelligence reasons would not allow an Military Aircraft to land/overfly the Country. Because by implication if the Aircraft has a military serial it could be in use by the Military. Despite wearing a very Civil looking colour scheme.
If it has a Civil registration as supplied by the CAA, I have a problem in that the CAA issue registrations consecutively, (so no handy blocks of unused registrations unlike military serials)
For example, Hurricane PZ875 (the last of the many) entered the Civil register as G-AMAU, so if I move a few letters away say to G-AMAX to use on my Post Hurricane, a quick check on the Internet shows that Reg. to have been used by a Miles Marathon.
Another idea I had was that the Royal Mail Aircraft would have been issued with an out of sequence Registration,
For example G-POHA etc, although I must admit I favour a proper Civil Registration from about the time when the Post Hurricanes would have been registered ( about 1946/7) I would be interested to hear your views :thumbsup:
That is if my ramblings haven't completely lost you :blink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Tophe

The code G-TALL would be good, I think. If ever Google finds another aircraft with this code, Google's one would probably be fantasy, as the very truth is here. No? This is my vote anyway. ;D :blink:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

A civvie reg would definitely be the way to go, big white letters, tapered on the underside of the wings too, that'd look great.  ;D

There were some reggies that were never taken up, even though the CAA issued them and a search through their G-INFO web site could be worthwhile.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1

Aircraft that have been de-registered could also be worth looking at, G-AMUZ might be worth considering as it was a DH104 Dove 1B and was de-registered at some stage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I think you could use a separate registration number system for Royal Mail - although civilian is was a quasi govermental organisation
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

raafif

Military aircraft often wore civvy rego for ferrying over foreign countries - I have a photo of a Mossie with rocket-rails & civvy rego in Egypt, 1947.

RM... or PO... for the serial if free would suit, then G-HMPO or G-HMPS for the civvy registration ?

Or, for something completely different, HMPO-1 (no country designator, like some interstate truck plates) .... or G-CPS1 / C-HMPO (Commonwealth Postal Service) ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Briar

You should have given it a butt load of guns on that nose  ;) . You could have even drafted the guns and their setup right off A P-38 of their scale.  :tornado:

TallEng

Right it's taken awhile but I think this one is finished.....
So here we have The Hawker High speed Airmail aircraft.

Registration G-AHQK (apparently there are no 'G' registrations with a 'Q' in)
And normally flown by Post Captain 'Pat' Paterson  :rolleyes:
On with the Pictures :thumbsup:

Hope you like and that Tophe approves (it's all his fault anyway :bow:)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Logan Hartke

sequoiaranger

I *REALLY* like this "bizarre bird" you have created!  :thumbsup:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

pyro-manic

That's a beauty, Talleng! A real looker. I can't help but feel it might have benefited from slightly more tail - longer booms, or maybe just bigger/taller rudders - but it's cracking nonetheless. And the paintjob is very sharp. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That really does look the business  :thumbsup:

Wonder what Royal Mail would make of her ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit