From an Idea by Sir Sydney Camm and Tophe (finished)

Started by TallEng, May 11, 2012, 11:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Quote from: Go4fun on May 14, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 14, 2012, 07:21:23 AM
That's a neat fix for the undercarriage  :thumbsup:
Ditto. Although I wonder at the load of the wing roots at the center fuselage.

Well.....
Some people say that if you fry it, it becomes lighter than air, or that if you boil it,
its stronger than steel reinforced carbon fiber; and that it was once found in the droppings
of Welsh pit ponies.....
All we know is its called Unobtanium, and its awfully useful here in Whiff World, when you
need an extra strong and light spar, for instance :thumbsup:

Frustratingly unavailable to real world Engineers.....

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

TallEng

Time for a minor update :cheers:
So despite Visitors (Mum and Dad from the U.K.) very welcome, and some sunshine also very Welcome :thumbsup:
and having to cease operations as the Dining room table was required for meal times of all things!
I have managed some small progress; so for your delectation and delight :blink:
This is what I've managed to date:

I showed Dad while he was over and he suggested that the Tailplane should extend between
the two fuselages, I'm not so sure so I would be interested in your thoughts/comments.
After a final round of PSR I'm hoping to get some painting done and the joining of the fuselage's
and wing together permanently.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Very sleek that looks too!  :thumbsup:

I'd join the fuselages with the tailplane too, in the RW the structure would be much stiffer that way.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

At the risk of being hit by something travelling at extremely high velocity from the other side of the globe.....

I think you should go with the fuselage-joining tail-plane for, as Kit said, added strength
but to do so I think you're going to have to reduce the rearward projection of the central cockpit pod.

:rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TallEng

So, still undecided as to wether to follow my older and betters advice (My Dad and Kit)
Or stick with the original design as per Sir Sydney and Tophe.
I decided in the best tradition of prototype work, to make a wooden mock up of the Tailplane
For the Mailplane :rolleyes:
What do you think?

I actually prefer this, but can see that there might be aerodynamic issues between the center fuselage
And tailplane. One answer, would of course be to make a pylon/fairing between the center fuselage
And Tailplane .

And for comparison the original set up:

Comments etc would be appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith

PR19_Kit

Putting a short pylon between the centre fuselage and the tailplane would make the whole thing stronger and could possibly be lighter too. The tailplane is so long that having it cantilever itself from each fin could be quite a job. Having the pylon in the middle would ease that problem perhaps.

Either way it looks GREAT when it's altogether.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

raafif

Elevators on outside of fins only -- longer & drooped down slightly ? .... too modern ?

Do like the slab tail - have to mount it a little bit higher tho.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

CammNut

Camm had an eye for a proper line and Tophe likes them weird, so I vote for the outboard stabilisers only. I suspect Sir Sydney would have peered over the designer's shoulder as he stood as his drawing board and vetoed the straight tailplane joining the rear fuselages...

RussC

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

TallEng

Quote from: RussC on June 09, 2012, 01:50:44 AM
A Micrometer !??????!!!!  :o ;D

Yes :thumbsup: it's got a digital read out to two decimal places as well!
It also can measure the depth, and inside and outside diameter, which was
Useful to measure the gap between the fuselages for the Tailplane.

All of which means my whiffs are accurately inaccurate :blink:

Regards
Keith

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on June 09, 2012, 08:15:47 AM

All of which means my whiffs are accurately inaccurate :blink:

Maybe so, but they're inaccurate to TWO decimal places!  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Congratulations for your model, very beautiful.  :wub: Go on... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TallEng

Another little update, All I've done really is lots of PSR!
And added the Tailplane, and Radiators.

I moved the radiators inboard because with the u/c down the legs would have blocked the inlet.
I am also considering removing the oil slinger rings from both engines, for that more streamlined look.

The last two pictures show the Tailplane fitted, all I need to do is build a fairing/pylon for it.
(I was doing that last night but after I'd dropped the bit I was working on for the 3rd or 4th time
I decided that perhaps the modeling Gods were suggesting I stop for the night )  :blink:
After that's done it's final clean up and paint.....

Regards
Keith

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.