From an Idea by Sir Sydney Camm and Tophe (finished)

Started by TallEng, May 11, 2012, 11:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Ha! Pretty cool.

On the exhausts: I'm not quite sure what year this was produced but I'm guessing it is later than the Hurricane. Then individual "multi-ejector" type exhausts might be the thing. I found this illustration and explanation:

1A: Spitfire, Battle
1B1: Spitfire, Hurricane, Fulmar, Wellington, Whitley, Defiant, Battle, Henley
1B2: Spitfire, Hurricane, Wellington
1C: Halifax
1D: Beaufighter IIF
1E1: Lancaster and derivatives, Beaufighter IIF
1E2: Spitfire Mk VIII and IX
1F: Mosquito, Lincoln, Casa III (with no1 and 6 outlets deleted)

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=74918

tanktastic43

TallEng

Thanks for the encouragements chaps   ;D  and especial thanks to Perttime for the info about Merlin exhausts :thumbsup: I had no idea that there was such a variation, I shall have to root around in my spares box to see what I can find.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Wooksta!

The AIrfix Spitfire Ia/IIa kit gives a spare set of exhausts.  Two of those and you're laughing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

albeback

Inpressive! :thumbsup: I confess to browsing Tophe & Tonton/Thonthon's profiles for inspiration & I decided I have GOT to have one of these. However,Sydney Camm's finest was a fighter & mine will most definitely be likewise!. 4 nose mounted 20mm cannons & underwing racks for 4 - 6  bombs ( 2 x 1000lb or, 4 - 6x 250 or 500lb)or, 16 x 60lb RPs

Using the Revell's excellent Hurricane IIC.

I was also much impressed by ThonThon's Short Hyper Stirling! :lol: But that I think is best left for another thread!!

Anyhow, once again, well done!

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

McGreig

I seem to have managed to miss this for the last five months  :unsure: so please accept a very belated gasp of Wow!!! Absolutely stunning!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I especially like the undercarriage mods - despite comments on the stress load at the centre fuselage, moving the u/c under the fuselage centre sections certainly improves the overall appearance.
:cheers:

albeback

Quote from: salt6 on September 19, 2012, 09:17:45 PM
What kind of range do you think this has?
Quite substantial I'd say. I I R C , the Hurricane had an 85 (?) gallon fuel tank behind the engine. Assuming another 85 gallon (or larger) tank in each of the outer fuselages ( in the "cockpit" space) AND, capability to carry drop tanks in addition to the internal fuel you'd probably have a range well in excess of 1000 miles?
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

TallEng

Quote from: salt6 on September 19, 2012, 09:17:45 PM
What kind of range do you think this has?

Well.... according to a quick browse through the Interweb, the general consensus is that the Hurricane had a range
of approximately 600 Miles. (i am assuming on internal tankage only),  I have 3 Fuselages, So that ought to make around
1800Miles, If how ever I put tanks in the outer fuselage's where the cockpit would be, and retain the center Fuselage
for Mail etc, possibly add wing tanks between the Fuselages, can I claim about 3500 miles? does that seem a reasonable figure?
Methinks I shall have to find out how much Internal fuel, A Hurricane could hold.

(I should also say thanks for the encouragements, they help a lot :thumbsup:) as I have been rather busy of late preparing for and celebrating me and Mrs TallEng's Silver wedding anniversary :drink: :party: now that everthing is done, I'll try and get the Hurricanes? finished

Regards
Keith (deep in research ;D :cheers:)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Logan Hartke

I don't think you're going to be that lucky on range, TallEng.  You've also got double the engines and double the drag, so I think that brings it back down to ~900 using napkin math.  Also, the standard range of the Hurricane from what I've read was between 470 and 500 miles, not 600.  You can add fuel tanks, but that does increase weight on what's already going to be a hefty airframe.  Considering that you only have about double the wing area of a standard Hurricane, yet more than double the weight as is with 3 fuselages and 3 times the fuel load, adding even more is possible, but will come with negative consequences.  You're not using it as a fighter, so that's a plus, but there are other performance factors to consider.  I think it will already need a fair takeoff run as it is.  Adding more fuel will compound that.  So, given your mission of flying mail to the far-flung reaches of the Empire, you need to make sure your aircraft would be able to takeoff from those fields.  I also agree that you should save the center pod for mail.

Here's a little more that may help you with the subject:

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/9569#.UFuZMlEw9yI
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1449747&mpage=1&key=&#1449747

If a Hurricane PR with an extra 90 gallon tank (plus the standard 34.5 + 34.5 + 28 gallon tanks) could go up to 980 miles on 187 total gallons, then you can use that as a partial baseline.  Figure triple the wing root tanks, double the fuselage tanks, double the extra PR tanks, add the two 25 outer wing tanks suggested on the other forum, add two more 40 gallon tanks where the guns normally are, and finally a couple of 90 gallon tanks in your two spare cockpits, and you've done about as much as you can while still leaving the center fuselage free for mail, spares, etc.

Some more napkin math:

(34.5*6)+(28*2)+(90*2)+(25*2)+(40*2)+(90*2)= 753 gallons

That's pretty good considering that the most fuel the PR Hurricanes had internally was 187 gallons!  Even so, you're not looking at 980*4, unfortunately.  Part of the reason is that you're going to massively increase the loaded weight (probably about triple the normal Hurricane), you've got a lot more drag (at least double), and those poor engines would be running at pretty high RPM to handle that weight.  I honestly think you're looking at ~2,000 miles with favorable conditions.  Considering the more aerodynamic Mosquito got about 2,000 miles out of the same fuel with Merlins, that seems about right.  That's quite good for the period.

Cheers,

Logan

Tophe

Quote from: TallEng on September 20, 2012, 02:32:14 PM
can I claim about 3500 miles? does that seem a reasonable figure?
I don't like this word "reasonable" here... Hey, we are what-ifers! With the accute power of faith, I would claim between 3,500 miles and 35,000 miles I think. Nautical miles of course. ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Logan Hartke

Also, figure a pretty high cruising speed of 250 mph and that gives you an 8 hour flight time.  For a single pilot, that's more than enough.  Even if you could get 3,500 miles of range out of the plane, that would be 14 hours of continuous flight!

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

Quote from: Logan Hartke on September 20, 2012, 08:12:00 PM
Also, figure a pretty high cruising speed of 250 mph and that gives you an 8 hour flight time.  For a single pilot, that's more than enough. 
Cheers,

Logan

That's the pertinent fact to me.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Thanks for all the napkin/back of a fag packet Math, Gentlemen, I think I'll settle for approx 2000 miles range then, After all 8 Hours sitting down on your own is quite enough me thinks :o
And this (fresh out of the paint shop) is what the Mail Hurricane looks like now  :mellow:

There is still lots to do, like paint touch up (to remove that red finger print/smudge on the right hand wing :banghead:) then the wheels, Exhausts and Transfers/Decals etc etc.

Regards
Keith

perttime

I'm convinced Burt Rutan drew inspiration from it, for the Pond Racer!