The BAe Tern

Started by Rheged, May 12, 2012, 04:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Thorvic on May 14, 2012, 11:54:48 PM
Ideal markings for it here  ;D

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MA7260

897 Sqdn FAA

Thanks! That's most helpful.   I intend to start modelling this evening.  Fascinating though this ornithology and word-play has been, I really must begin work on converting a poor innocent Airfix Strikemaster into a Tern.............Why don'y you have a go too?  A flock of Terns could possibly be displayed by the end of the summer (before they all migrate) and then we can all enthuse over each others imagination and manual dexterity. No prize, just the pride  of knowing that you are the acknowledged TERNMEISTER!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

In partial apology for my previous dreadful pun, here's a semi-serious idea:

How about an observation/spotter/FAC version that has the entire front fuselage (everything forward of the intakes) replaced by the one from a helicopter, the result being effectively a jet-powered Edgely Optica? A Gazelle is the first thing that springs to mind, but IIRC, I actually offered the parts up some time ago and it's too narrow, so something like an early Dauphin or EC-something (I can't keep track of them.... :rolleyes:) might work better.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Hmmm, a Tern in Extra Dark Sea Grey with "Bam-Bam" nose art could be good fun.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on May 15, 2012, 04:08:52 AM
In partial apology for my previous dreadful pun, here's a semi-serious idea:

How about an observation/spotter/FAC version that has the entire front fuselage (everything forward of the intakes) replaced by the one from a helicopter, the result being effectively a jet-powered Edgely Optica? A Gazelle is the first thing that springs to mind, but IIRC, I actually offered the parts up some time ago and it's too narrow, so something like an early Dauphin or EC-something (I can't keep track of them.... :rolleyes:) might work better.

Not for me, but it's an interesting idea.  Any takers out there?

"Curiouser and Curiouser"  said Alice!

Rheged

Right, I 've got the bits out of the box, taken the  obligatory photos, and  sprayed all of the appropriate sprues in Citadel Miniatures white  primer/undercoat.  I've diddled about with black and silver paints (Citadel again) and the cockpit panel looks as if it might  possibly have something to do with an aeroplane. Despite uncultured comments from Mrs  R  that  the pilot would look  fetching in a cerise or fuchsia tinted immersion suit, he's getting dark blue with the details piucked out in white or silver. Tomorrow (assuming that the paint is dry) we begin the entertainment......assembling the   fuselage with all of the appropriate internals and then blanking off half of the cockpit and thinking about the asymmetric single seater conversion.  It's filler and sanding time!!   I am going out and may be some time..........

Go4fun

I can't wait to see how this terns out.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Weaver

Typically I probably remembered this just too late, but there's a nice resin cockpit set for the Strikemaster......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on May 18, 2012, 04:03:43 AM
Typically I probably remembered this just too late, but there's a nice resin cockpit set for the Strikemaster......

Thanks very much for this.  Normally, I'd  say ", great, let's have one"  but as I'm between jobs just at the moment (made repugnant in late January)  I'm saving  the resources of the imperial exchequer for paying the mortgage  and the food bills.   This project is going to be a cut price job using only the bits in the box, or my spares box!

Weaver

Twelve quid from Pavla, for anyone who's interested. They also sell the seats and the vacform canopy separately.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 18, 2012, 09:13:42 AM

Twelve quid from Pavla, for anyone who's interested. They also sell the seats and the vacform canopy separately.

And one from Obscureco too, sold in UK by Lonewulf. It's a bit fiddly to fit but it looks pretty good when you've got it all together.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Yes, I know this is a very old thread, but I've actually finished the model!!  Photos whenever I can get my camera to talk to the laptop.  Tern finished in dark blue, as a Fleet Air Arm carrier capable basic trainer.

Scotaidh

Quote:        Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri       end-quote

I noticed that no-one else brought this up, so am I dropping a clanger if I suggest an Australian tern?

[I've heard they don't drink Foster's or take kindly to the stereotype ... ]

Perhaps the Sandwich Tern could be a Falklands based self-defense force?  Can a Strikemaster hoist a sea-skimming missile?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pellson

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2021, 02:10:19 PM

Perhaps the Sandwich Tern could be a Falklands based self-defense force?  Can a Strikemaster hoist a sea-skimming missile?

Targeting would be an issue unless you rely on something that's either IR homing or controlled by the launching Tern, like a Maverick missile. But they're awfully short ranged..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitbasher

I guess a version that dropped joke books not bombs would be a Funny Tern.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

I'm definitely going to need another "Book" by the end of the year  :banghead: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.