Main Menu

China 1946

Started by NARSES2, May 16, 2012, 07:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The first model is an RAF Hawker Tempest II from 155 Squadron involved in operations in southern China during the spring of 1946. This Anglo/French advance into Japanese occupied territory was timed to coincide with the US invasion of the Phillipines in an attempt (successful as it turned out) to divert Japanese forces.

Model is the Special Hobby one which is a nice kit once you get past the resin.  Don't get me wrong the resin is very nice it's just that the cockpit tub will not fit its "hole" no matter what you threaten it with, and the aperture is so small it would be pointless anyway  :banghead: On top of that the resin wheel bay inserts are so thick you have to sand about 3/8ths off to get them to fit !!! In my next one I will scratch the wheel bay. This kit has been sitting around for months because of those problems but once I picked it up again it went along quite nicely. Paints are mainly Xtracrylic with the transfers coming from the kit and Rising Decals SEAC Fighters set. Very nice transfers that literally fall of the backing paper at the merest threat of water so if using them take care. They are intended for a Spitfire Mk VIII of 155 Sqd which had the Chindit badge on the nose.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Second model is a Curtis Helldiver of 12th Gv.BAP of the Russian Pacific Fleet flown by hero of the Soviet Union V.I.Rakov on the borders of Manchuria in the Spring of 1946. After the Japanese attack on the Soviet Far East in 1943 the US had taken on the responsibility of arming and equipping the Soviet then (after "black month") Russian forces so that Russian industry could concentrate on rearming the forces facing the Axis front. This re-equipment programme was completed in time for the Russian Far Eastern forces to take part in the 3 part coordinated allied offensive in the spring of 1946.

Kit is the old Airfix one which really shows it's age and has been de-navalised by removing the wing fold and arrester gear etc. The rear canopy has been left off as a the gunner of this particular aircraft was more comfortable that way. In reality because I got a little cheesed with it. Paints are mainly White Ensign for the camouflage colours and the transfers are from a Begmot sheet intended for Pe-2's and 3's. A really good sheet with 23 options.

This build was totally inspired by one of own Panther G's profiles, so thanks for the inspiration Panther  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Very nice builds, both. :) I built the Airfix Helldiver a few months back, and it was not a pleasant build. The wingfold was awful, and the canopy doesn't fit at all. Good stuff!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TallEng

Neat :thumbsup: especially the Tempest II, I always liked them. (thinks... maybe Revell could re-issue
the Matchbox one, or Special Hobby could release a weekend version (No Resin)) ;D

For some reason the Helldiver puts me in mind of the An2 Biplane :blink:
Maybe its the Russian markings and the big round fin?
Still a Helldiver as a Biplane would be interesting!!

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Vulcan7

Very neat looking builds NARSES2, especially like the Tempest  :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

kitbasher

Quote from: Vostoc7 on May 16, 2012, 12:20:00 PM
Very neat looking builds NARSES2, especially like the Tempest  :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup:

Me too, Tempest II is such a lovely aircraft - interesting to compare the Hendon example with its next door neighbour, a bubble top P-47.  One elegant, the other not.  No prizes for which is which!

Presumably the back story assumes no atom bombs?  I ask because I think at either Yalta or Potsdama the plans for reoccupying Japanese-held territories was drawn up.  This directly led to (amongst other things) the division of Vietnam.  The UK was immediately charged with accepting the Japanese surrender in the south, while Ho Chi Min's Chinese Communist-backed forces (which had fought a guerilla war in the north) took the north.  Brits + Aussies wisely handed it back over to the French and the rest is, as they say, history.  Seem top recall reading/hearing Britain, Australia etc signed the treaty intended to support the defence of the south in the face of northern aggression.  Australia as we know sent forces to Vietnam during the war but Harold Wilson said quite unequivocably  that Britain would stay out.

So Tempest IIs over Vietnam certainly may have become a possibility had British occupation forces not withdrawn when they did.  As for southern China, that would have depended on how far back the Japanese would have been beaten by Chinese forces and whether Britain would have supported combined anti-Japanese operation.

But it's your timeline Chris - enjoy!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

brigadyr

Yeah!...especially Tempest is beautiful!

Spey_Phantom

nice, very nice  :thumbsup:
i'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

im working on a similar subtheme:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34057.0.html

right now, im preparing to build a Netherlands Navy F8F Bearcat
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PantherG

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on May 16, 2012, 12:49:02 PM
Presumably the back story assumes no atom bombs?  I ask because I think at either Yalta or Potsdama the plans for reoccupying Japanese-held territories was drawn up. 

Correct. Plus France fights on from the colonies so the Japanese have to fight their way through Indo-China. My WWII diverges at the Battle of Arras, where the British and French thrusts meet and cut off part of the panzer thrust. As an aside they capture Rommel in the process. This panics Hitler and the High Command and makes them far more cautious enabling the allies to form a line on the Somme. The Germans eventually overcome this position but the French Government withdraws to North Africa and fights on. This puts the war in Europe back about 12/15 months and I also have Turkey entering on the Axis side.

In the pacific the divergence occurs when the IJN wins at Midway and this leads to a Pacific first policy. As for the Black Month I'll leave that to the next newsletter where I intend to include my entire alternative WWII timeline.

Radish

Nice!!

Room for some more?
AVG P-51D
SEAC P-38L

;)
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

kitbasher

SEAC Spiteful.
Tiger Force Lincoln.
Pacific Fleet RR Eagle-powered Firefly.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

An Eagle powered Spearfish would be a better idea, because it struggled with the Centaurus.  Best using the Contrail vacform for that, because the Magna one would be too much conversion work.

Nice Tempest, Chris.  You've beaten me to it.  Mine in an identical sceme (but not markings) has been stalled for some time.  Although I may give mine a five blade prop...

That MPM Tempest is a pig.  I've the wing together, but that's as far as it got.  Much prefer the older Matchbox kit, despite it's relative crudity.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on May 18, 2012, 01:25:44 AM
SEAC P-38L

Done one  ;D

Quote from: kitbasher on May 18, 2012, 03:49:33 AM
SEAC Spiteful.

On the long term go at the moment. Once the current spate of kits is finished I'll go back to it

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on May 18, 2012, 03:49:33 AM
SEAC Spiteful.

I've an AZ one to finish (it needs very little) but I hate it passionately and will replace it with one of my own castings at some stage.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic