Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on May 18, 2012, 02:54:40 PM
The Decals...... on their way to PR19_Kit as I will not be using them

Arrived in this morning's post Alastair, yummy, yummy!  :wub:

Thanks very much, I've wanted to do a Skytrain Ten for ages, and Revell only moulded one batch in that scheme AFAIK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Gord, I flew Skytrain on my first ever trip to the US - I'm old  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on May 18, 2012, 10:38:21 PM
Quote from: Army of One on May 18, 2012, 08:58:30 PM
Looking good.......didn't realise those kits were that exy..... :o

exy ?

Gondor

If he types like he texts, he probably means "sexy"  :wacko: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Been looking at making sure the tail angle is correct.

The drawing shows a dark line which was traced around the fuselage and tail of the kit with the thinner lines showing the projections of the roof line and the fin leading edge. although the radii and angles are marked in roughly they are the angels shown on My protractor.

Next thing to work out is whether to simply move the tail downwards in a vertical manner or in line with the leading edge of the fin ?

I am inclined to move the fin vertically downwards so that the rear tip of the fin is vertically in line with its current position. Comments please.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Go4fun

Wouldn't moving the fin down move the tail planes down thus possibly causing turbulence behind the A/C for A/C on the refueling boom?
Just one of those random rational thoughts that jump into my head.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

PR19_Kit

Alastair,

I'd leave the fin and rudder exactly where they are and fill in the space where the #2 engine was with some other material, another donor's fin perhaps?

My reasoning is that the #2 engine was part of the fin's side area on a DC10 and contributed to the yaw stability of the aircraft. You'll need even MORE yaw stability with the extension forward of the wings plus the two extra engines, both forward of the wing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Go4fun on May 19, 2012, 11:45:21 AM
Wouldn't moving the fin down move the tail planes down thus possibly causing turbulence behind the A/C for A/C on the refueling boom?
Just one of those random rational thoughts that jump into my head.

Not so sure about the rational this time Go4fun as the tail plains are attached to the rear of the fuselage. I thought you would have noticed that when you did the drawing of the AWACS version.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 19, 2012, 12:52:53 PM
I'd leave the fin and rudder exactly where they are and fill in the space where the #2 engine was with some other material, another donor's fin perhaps?

My reasoning is that the #2 engine was part of the fin's side area on a DC10 and contributed to the yaw stability of the aircraft. You'll need even MORE yaw stability with the extension forward of the wings plus the two extra engines, both forward of the wing.

I had not considered that possibility Kit, I will have to think about it.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Go4fun

My bad.  :-\ This should get more interesting than reading a NASCAR Sprint Cup rule book.  ;D
Carry on.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

kerick

I would go with filling the space left by the missing engine with fin material.  How about extending the bottom of the fin farther forward then having it meet the existing fin leading edge were the top of the engine was?  It would have about a 60osweep edge transitioning to a 30oleading edge.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was not going to do anything with the gap where the #2 engine was. My worry is how much of the space to use as fin and how much and in which direction to move the fin. At the moment I am thinking of about 50% fin and then moving the resultant fin vertically downwards. The problem is as much an aesthetic one as a practical aerodynamic one as I don't want the fin to end up looking as if I copied a 1/48 Typhoon fin into the aircraft nor do I want it to look as if its from Boeing.  :blink:

The Fin problem can be shelved until near the end of this build anyway as it is not integral to the fuselage and wing. The next problem I have to look at is the boom and its operators station, although that can weight untill I have cut up the fuselage and extended the front part.

Gondor

Gondor

I have been comparing both the Revell and Airfix kits of the DC-10. Big difference in the quality of the detail and at the rear of the wings. Makes me wonder if the Airfix kit is really worth any effort or if I should just use the kit for fuselage plugs and extensions.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

No contest Alastair, the Revell one is MILES better! The Airfix DC10 is from the same vintage as their TERRIBLE 747-200, of which the least said the better!

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Gondor on May 20, 2012, 05:44:15 AM
I have been comparing both the Revell and Airfix kits of the DC-10. Big difference in the quality of the detail and at the rear of the wings. Makes me wonder if the Airfix kit is really worth any effort or if I should just use the kit for fuselage plugs and extensions.

Gondor
Sounds like the solution is at hand.  It may provide the missing fin parts too.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 20, 2012, 05:44:15 AM

Gondor
Sounds like the solution is at hand.  It may provide the missing fin parts too.

Thanks Kit, very true kerick, unfortunatly the Revell kits are a lot raerer then the Airfix ones goeing by what I have seen on eBay.

Gondor

kerick

Here's the shape of the fin I was trying to describe.  Picture is worth a thousand words.  Especially since I can't spell.
Tophe the Wise