Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: Gondor on May 20, 2012, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 20, 2012, 05:44:15 AM
I have been comparing both the Revell and Airfix kits of the DC-10. Big difference in the quality of the detail and at the rear of the wings. Makes me wonder if the Airfix kit is really worth any effort or if I should just use the kit for fuselage plugs and extensions.

Gondor
Sounds like the solution is at hand.  It may provide the missing fin parts too.
Sounded like you had one of each on hand.  I would go with the better kit unless its way too expensive.  We do this for fun and going broke is no fun.

Thanks Kit, very true kerick, unfortunatly the Revell kits are a lot raerer then the Airfix ones goeing by what I have seen on eBay.

Gondor
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 01:07:06 PM
Here's the shape of the fin I was trying to describe.  Picture is worth a thousand words.  Especially since I can't spell.

I will probably do something a bit similar, only about three scale feet shorter and without the fin root extention.

The whole Tanker variant is going to be a hell of a lot easier anyway as I just won a Revell KC-10 with Draw Decals on eBay for £26.06 and postage only being another £4 on top. Well chuffed  :wub:

I also have my eyes on a Revell AWACS which will be donating its scanner and pylons for the existing Revell DC-10 I have.

On a slight side note. The DC-10, all versions, had a 170 foot long fuselage and the MD-11 had a 192 feet 5 inches long fuselage. A proposed development MD-XX was to have a 224 foot 5 inches long fuselage.

The fuselage extention that I am planning for my KC-11, may have to change the name folks, will make it somewhere in between the DC-10 and MD-11 fuselage lengths. Not sure if I should try stretching it out that bit further of keeping it between both and to the size I was thinking of.

Oh, and I will be modifying the boom of the KC-10 so that is different but similar to the KC-135 and KC-10 booms. An added bonus will be the 1/144 scale Tornado that comes with the KC-10. I am sure I have a set of Xtradecals for Tornadoes in 1/144 scale somewhere which will prove useful. An the KC-111 will be in USAF markings, I want to confuse people into thinking is a fat KC-135 or something like that.  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

A KC-10 kit with a TORNADO included?  :o

That's different, all the 'Double sets' I've seen have had an F-15 with the tanker. It'd be difficult to model the KC-10 hooked up with a Tornado as it only has a probe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

There is a mod for the boom to use a drogue plus wing mounted pods.  You could tank three at a time.  That would make a nice display.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2012, 03:46:14 PM
A KC-10 kit with a TORNADO included?  :o

That's different, all the 'Double sets' I've seen have had an F-15 with the tanker. It'd be difficult to model the KC-10 hooked up with a Tornado as it only has a probe.

Most of the sets I have seen are F-15 as well Kit

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 06:28:40 PM
There is a mod for the boom to use a drogue plus wing mounted pods.  You could tank three at a time.  That would make a nice display.

I agree kerick, the boom to hose adaptor is used so that USN and Marine Aircraft can be refuelled as well as allied aircraft. Dutch, Saudi and Israeli air forces also use the boom, there are possibly others that I don't know of.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Doesn't the KC-10 have a hose reel fitted somewhere anyway? A bit like the RAF Tri-Stars have them, slightly off-centre line.

I've seen pics of KC-135s with the boom/hose adaptor, the French AF tankers have them fitted permanently, but I've never seen a KC-10 with one fitted, the boom is entirely different to a KC-135 boom anyway.

[Late] Just checked, and yes the KC-10 does have a hose fitted, just to starboard of the boom but it's VERY recessed into the tail section and difficult to see.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Thanks Kit. Latest news is that the KC-10 has been dispatched, I am also looking at sourcing engines for the build which will slow things down as the best source of 1/144 scale aircraft items has yet to release a set, but they are due.

Gondor

Gondor

Work on the build has slowed right down do to lots of time at work and the hot weather which is making me rather sleepy half the time I am home. Should get some progress over the weekend which looks to be the only times I manage to get my hand on plastic for any length of time.

Gondor

Gondor

Good news:

I got a KC-10 to use as a base for My KC-11. Going to buy some engines next to hang under the wings. One of the good things about the purchase was that it came with the Draw Decals that I wanted to buy to go with the build.

Photo later to show the differences between the fuselage half's.

The first Revell DC-10 I bought will now be an AWACS build using the dome and pylons from an E-3, once I get hold of one.

Gondor

Gondor

Picture of the side view of the KC-10 with a "normal ?" DC-10 for comparison.

Note that the fairing behind the wing is larger on the KC-10 than it is on the DC-10. The Airfix kit of the DC-10 has a similar larger fairing like the KC-10 does although the level of detail on the Airfix kit is worse than Revell's kits. One very helpful item is that when Revell made their KC-10 they filled in all the fuselage windows which saves a hell of a lot of work  :party:

and a picture of the all important Flying Boom

Not sure if I should build something similar but different for the KC-11 and let someone else drop this sprue into resin.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

IIRC that longer aft wing fairing was on the full size DC10-30s and -40s, the shorter one was on the original -10s. I can't remember if the Airfix kit has the centre main landing gear leg, but if it has it should have the longer fairing as only -30s and -40s have the centre leg.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2012, 03:56:09 PM
IIRC that longer aft wing fairing was on the full size DC10-30s and -40s, the shorter one was on the original -10s. I can't remember if the Airfix kit has the centre main landing gear leg, but if it has it should have the longer fairing as only -30s and -40s have the centre leg.

The Airfix kit has the longer fairing and the centre undercarriage leg as well. The boxes I have seen are called -30's.

Builds are now going to be:

1) KC-11, a four engined transport/tanker based on the MD-11
     This means that the KC-10 will get the fuselage extension I was planning for the ex Skytrain kit.

2) E-10 AWACS, a four engined AWACS based on the DC-10-10.
     I am going to leave the Skytrain kit I bought as it is other than the engines and tail fin with closed up windows and then adding the AWACS scanner I mentioned earlier, assuming I win the kit on eBay.

3) E-11?, a four engined JSTARS aircraft based on the MD-11
     This will require my getting hold of an additional Revell DC-10 and extending it to MD-11 length as well as the engine and fin modification as for 1 and 2. It will also mean buying an E-8 JSTARS kit to donate its canoe unless I find drawings and components to nearly match the required items.

Gondor

Gondor

I ordered two sets of engines for one of the builds from The Aviation Megastore last night. Including Postage and Packing it was not far short of £30 so it will be next month before I buy engines for the currently second build.

Ideas for the designation of the AWACS and JSTARS build welcome. Please bare in mind though that I do like to be fairly conventional with designations and there are bound to be some of you out there that know US nomenclature far better than I do.

Gondor

Gondor

Drat.  :banghead:

There was a Revell E-3 on eBay which I failed to buy today as I got outbid at the last moment. Would have been nice to have been able to simply take the necessary bits from that to add to the old Skytrain kit.

Gondor

Go4fun

I have some nice Texaco decals I can send you.  ;) As for designation you need to looks up aerial tankers and see what was the latest one dropped from the acquisition program, add a couple to the last digit and there you are!
"Just which planet are you from again"?