Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Quote from: Gondor on June 02, 2012, 03:39:49 AM
Very true PR19_Kit, however it also depends on the required range. After all I am simply looking for a decent build idea for the DC-10-10 rather than having to convert it to a -30 which could be a real pain even though I have worked out a way to do it. I will have to look at what has been done to the A319 MPA to see what I would need to do to the -10.

For information about the A319 MPA, try this: http://www.c295.ca/wp-content/uploads/A319_MPA_pocket-guide.pdf?10615

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on June 02, 2012, 04:48:38 AM
For information about the A319 MPA, try this: http://www.c295.ca/wp-content/uploads/A319_MPA_pocket-guide.pdf?10615

Thanks Hobbes. I had read your A319 MPA and followed the link before.

It looks as if one drawing of a five engined DC-10 has taken on a life of its own, growing from a single build into a multi-aircraft/family build with tanker, AWACS, JSTARS and now an MPA aircraft in the family.

The KC-11 is going to be put on hold until after Telford this year as that is when Braz are releasing their MD-11 conversion which will be used with the KC-10 aircraft I have. I am thinking of having the aircraft on the stand that came with the kit as I now have the Tornado that was part of the boxing. Its a German ECR version which I could Whiff into an RAF version by simply changing the decals and then have it being refueled by the KC-11.

I have a Revell DC-10-30 that I am waiting on being delivered. I would like this to be the AWACS version though it will probably be easier to scratch build a radar canoe for the JSTARS version than wait until next month when I can afford to buy an AWACS to use the dome and supports etc. I have seen another Revell DC-10-30 on eBay so I know that I can get hold of a second kit to use for the AWACS or JSTARS build.

For the DC-10 MPA, designation to be decided, P-10 maybe?, Hobbes on his thread for the A319 MPA http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32585.0.html has provided the size he used for his weapons bay, I have also just measured the bay of a P-3C which was 12'6" by 6' which is almost identical to the size used by Hobbes. I can start on the windows and tail fin as well as building the weapons bay. The location of the weapons bay, behind the wing trailing edge, will cut slightly into the wing root fairings but is clear of the wing structure and should not cause any undue aerodynamic problems. I am thinking that to keep the fairing shape I will simply have to scribe the bay doors rather than cutting out the area and replicating the curves of the fairing or I could move the bay further rearwards.

So much to think about  :banghead:

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Yippee...... I have stuck bits of plastic together!!!!!

Not making much progress compared to some modellers on the forum that appear to be able to build a whole kit in a week or two  :blink:  I build slowly but its progress at least. Tail surfaces are stuck together and the fin has been removed. I have also stuck the outer wing parts together and glued strips of plastic behind the windows which I plan to fill with more plastic before adding filler.

I have decided to hell with C of G issues as equipment and fuel can be used to counteract any shift of C of G which is also affected by removing the tail engine and adding the other two engines to the wings so theoretically (rule of thumb physics) everything should cancel out nicely  ;D So the weapons bay will be forward of the wing, it's also far easier to model if placed there.

Other issues that I have to address at least theoretically.
     1) MAD boom:
            a) Fin top as per the A319 MPA
            b) Flared into the rear of the fuselage as per Nimrod and P3
            c) Retractable as per the S2 Tracker and S3 Viking

2) Search Radar:
            a) Under the fuselage as per the A319 MPA
            b) Fitted into the lower part of the nose as per Nimrod

I am unsure what to do for 1, however I am thinking Nimrod like for 2 as I can then easily add an optical tracking/targeting dome behind the Nose wheel bay

External weapon carriage is also something I will have to consider, how much and where as there is the posibility of external carriage on the fuselage as well as under the wings.

Pictures of the build will follow later today.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

As promised some pictures

Various wing type parts stuck together

Fitting plastic card where the glazing would normally go as I intend to use decals for the majority of the windows

The two fuselage half's of the MPA version, the P4 maybe?

As can be seen I have removed the fin ready for the replacement of the engine with flat plastic. The weapons bay needs to be built which should not be too difficult to do although I am still thinking about how the day doors will open, but that's for another day.

Gondor

albeback

Quote from: Gondor on June 03, 2012, 02:46:48 PM
As promised some pictures

Various wing type parts stuck together

Fitting plastic card where the glazing would normally go as I intend to use decals for the majority of the windows

The two fuselage half's of the MPA version, the P4 maybe?

As can be seen I have removed the fin ready for the replacement of the engine with flat plastic. The weapons bay needs to be built which should not be too difficult to do although I am still thinking about how the day doors will open, but that's for another day.

Gondor

If I may make a suggestion, how about  weapons bay doors that slide up the fuselage sides instead of opening outwards? I did this on my Boeing/BAC Triton MR1. Makes for a neat installation and, gets round the relatively limited clearance beneath the aeroplane.

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

another one of those "How did I miss this ?" moments.... Great work, Gondor. Allan, love that camo scheme and combination of tones.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Gondor

Quote from: Ian the Kiwi Herder on June 04, 2012, 07:14:10 PM
another one of those "How did I miss this ?" moments.... Great work, Gondor. Allan, love that camo scheme and combination of tones.

Ian

Its all brain power so far Ian and not much plastic so far.

Gondor

albeback

Quote from: Ian the Kiwi Herder on June 04, 2012, 07:14:10 PM

Ian

Thanks Ian. Appreciate the Comment. There is a separate thread for my build. I've listed the colours used if you're interested.
I'm following this KC-11 with great interest because I have a pair of Airfix DC-10 kits desperate for a whif!! I've decided to make mine a civil whif though!

Gondor

Quote from: albeback on June 05, 2012, 03:02:29 AM
Thanks Ian. Appreciate the Comment. There is a separate thread for my build. I've listed the colours used if you're interested.
I'm following this KC-11 with great interest because I have a pair of Airfix DC-10 kits desperate for a whif!! I've decided to make mine a civil whif though!

This is no longer just a KC-11 build though, its taken on a life of its own and become a whole family of aircraft comprising AWACS, JSTARS and currently an MPA aircraft which I can build without requiring any other kits as source material.

If your looking for something different to build albeback try this

PR19_Kit posted the link on another thread and I am toying with the idea of trying to build one from the Airfix kit as there is no way I would use the Revell DC-10 for this.

With the MPA build I have used Google and found not only the dimensions but what the MK 46 Torpedo looks like so today I intend to build the weapons bay and possibly some of the ordnance that will fit inside it.

Gondor

albeback

Quote from: Gondor on June 05, 2012, 03:36:52 AM
Quote from: albeback on June 05, 2012, 03:02:29 AM

This is no longer just a KC-11 build though, its taken on a life of its own and become a whole family of aircraft comprising AWACS, JSTARS and currently an MPA aircraft which I can build without requiring any other kits as source material.

If your looking for something different to build albeback try this

PR19_Kit posted the link on another thread and I am toying with the idea of trying to build one from the Airfix kit as there is no way I would use the Revell DC-10 for this.

With the MPA build I have used Google and found not only the dimensions but what the MK 46 Torpedo looks like so today I intend to build the weapons bay and possibly some of the ordnance that will fit inside it.

Gondor

Lol!! :o <_< Those are pure dead brilliant!! A baby DC-10!!That would NEVER have occurred to me in a YEAR of Sundays!! I'll stick with my intentions for now but you do realise I'm now going to have to source another DC-10!!!.
Thanks for the idea. I love it!!

Allan

Gondor

Quote from: albeback on June 05, 2012, 06:42:03 AM
Lol!! :o <_< Those are pure dead brilliant!! A baby DC-10!!That would NEVER have occurred to me in a YEAR of Sundays!! I'll stick with my intentions for now but you do realise I'm now going to have to source another DC-10!!!.
Thanks for the idea. I love it!!

Allan

Blame PR19_Kit as he posted the link to the picture on another thread albeback so I am planning on using an Airfix kit for that as well.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

As OGL says, it's ALWAYS my fault............ <sigh>
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Reminds me of a DC-10 eggplane.   :rolleyes:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

albeback

Going to be fun trying this one!! I think they're rather cute!! The one in the air looks like an "extended" version. It cvould of course just be the photo angle! :lol:

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 05, 2012, 03:02:58 PM
As OGL says, it's ALWAYS my fault............ <sigh>

Kit your always the responsible one

...................................................... if something goes wrong...... your responsible  ;D

Gondor