Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I received a package from The Aviation Megastore today unexpectedly, I was expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. Two sets of BRAZ GE CF6-80 engines. Hopefully tomorrow I will be receiving another Revell DC-10 kit, this time a -30 which will be either the JSTARS or AWACS version depending on funds and my ability to get hold of a kit to donate it's rotodome

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I'd like to hear what you think of the CF6s Alastair.

As I've said before, I know Ivo quite well and have a lot of time for his stuff, pricey though it may be, but someone else's opinion is always welcome.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 06, 2012, 03:05:00 PM
I'd like to hear what you think of the CF6s Alastair.

As I've said before, I know Ivo quite well and have a lot of time for his stuff, pricey though it may be, but someone else's opinion is always welcome.

They look great Kit, obviously as the sets I have bought are for a B767 I will need to modify the pylon for each inboard engine minimum, but the detail is as I would expect and the quality of the casting is first rate. Not going to do much to them yet until I have the basic airframe and wings assembled.

Definitely looking forward to his MD-11 conversion set which I will use with the KC-10.

Think I will start researching decals that I can use for my DC-10 derived builds other than the KC-11 which I have the Draw Decal set for.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

I managed to do some work on the weapons bay today

The first picture shows not only the basic form of the weapons bay but also the main tools I used to make the bay

This second picture shows the bay in clearer detail. The sides need to be added and then detail will be required on the inside.

I have yet to make the Mk46 Torpedoes, but I have researched them and know that they are 8' 6" long and 123/4" in diameter. This scales out to some silly number, but I am using a 1/72 scaled ruler and using only half the required size. I have found that, with the aid of a pair of callipers, the sprue for the 1/144 scale Tornado that is part of the KC-10 boxing is close enough to be used so I have a ready supply to hand  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor

Eventually received after being held hostage by the Royal Mail during the celebrations and then somehow not managing to deliver on the following day after an attempted delivery but delivering the day after that when I am again at work  Bang head Bang head Bang head Bang head

1 x 1/144 Revell DC-10 Airbus in SAS markings

Looking at the fuselage components it appears to have the short rear fairings to the wings but had the extra main undercarriage leg yet the KC-10 version of the kit has the correct sized fairing after the wing and the extra leg. I am picking up a book on the DC-10 tomorrow so all this difference between versions will make a whole lot less sense.

Probably going to make this the JSTARS version as I can scratch build the canoe.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Eh?  :o

The SAS kit has the -10 wing fairings and the -30 center leg? I've never seen a Revell Ten like that before, amazing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Kit,

The box has the code H-119 and is dated 1972 so its quite old and they may not have got all their details correct. The Freddie Laker Skytrain has a code of H271 and is dated 1978 thus giving them quite some time to have gotten things right.

Question is do I cut up the Airfix kit I have and use the after wing fairings from that kit sticking them onto the "new" kit I have or do I use the Airfix fairings as a guide to create the correct size and shaped fairings with scrap plastic and putty? I can see quite a lot of work regardless of which option I choose. :banghead:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

I'd try and take a mould from the Aifix 'big' fairings and use the results on the Revell kit.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2012, 02:28:49 PM
I'd try and take a mould from the Airfix 'big' fairings and use the results on the Revell kit.

Nice idea Kit, however there is a great big flaw that that idea. I have nothing to make a mould with. If I did have I would use the fairings on the KC-10 kit which are correct for a -30.  :blink:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Plascticene? Plaster of Paris? Blue tack even? I've used all of them in the past, neither is easy mind you.

Perhaps a word with one of our 'Moulding Team' here may be worth while?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2012, 03:51:46 PM

Perhaps a word with one of our 'Moulding Team' here may be worth while?

I did think of that and would welcome any help from that direction as that would allow me to upgrade the -10 into a -30 as well using the extra undercarriage leg from the Airfix kit and scratch building the wheel well.

Gondor

Sentinel Chicken

Quote from: Gondor on June 08, 2012, 10:54:14 AM
Looking at the fuselage components it appears to have the short rear fairings to the wings but had the extra main undercarriage leg yet the KC-10 version of the kit has the correct sized fairing after the wing and the extra leg. I am picking up a book on the DC-10 tomorrow so all this difference between versions will make a whole lot less sense.

No Series 30 I'm aware of has the short rear fairings. Those were only some of the early Series 10s.

One thing that did vary amongst the Series 30 aircraft was the fairing forward of the wing. Early Series 30 aircraft didn't have them, but they could be refitted to the aircraft. All the KC-10s should have this forward fairing. It's easiest to visualize on a baremetal DC-10 like those of American Airlines:

Note how the leading edge of the wing practically abuts to the fuselage.

Later retrofit with the forward fairing (this is what KC-10s have):

This forward fairing was part of four pack of fairings added to Series 30 aircraft either on the production line later in the production or retrofitted to earlier Series 30s:

There are three fairings added in addition to the large forward fairing- one right at the base of the leading edge of the fin, one at the leading edge root of the horizontal stabilizer, and a larger fairing on the fuselage where the stab joins the fuselage. These three fairings I believe were always added along with the larger fairing ahead of the wing. All the KC-10s have these three tail fairings plus the larger forward fairing.

Gondor

Thanks Sentinal Chicken for that information. I doubt that the fairing on the fin will be used as I am removing the engine there.

I received in the post today the Aerofax book on the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 and KC-10 Extender which will help define these parts.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Sentinel Chicken on June 09, 2012, 08:33:30 AM

No Series 30 I'm aware of has the short rear fairings. Those were only some of the early Series 10s.

That would indicate Revell were in error issuing a kit with the short fairing and the centre leg. AFAIK no -10s had the centre leg fitted, or did they?

Fascinating stuff about the 'Four Pack' of fairings, I never have managed to make sense of some DC10 pics that showed some aircraft with them and some without. I guess it's time related whether they had them or not. Do you know if they added the 'Four Packs' to the P&W engined -40s at all?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

According to the book I received today there were plans for a KMD-11 so my build will not be to far from a real world project.

Drat... I have done it again  :banghead: :banghead:

That's almost too good an idea to put down. Now I am going to have to look for another KC-10 to make the KMD-11 out of  :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor