Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go4fun

Just a point I want to make about the shrouds and such. Often the American military will make changes, ommissions, and additions to equipment that is almost identical to that sold on the civilian market. Thus a civilian version hellicopter may have different exhaust shrouds, skids or landing gear from the military version. Sometimes things are ommitted just to make the supply lines run smoother and reduce inventory they have to move to temporary forward bases. Some things are added simply because a Congressman from Kenmissianna has a plant in his state that makes a different doo-hickey and someone is trading favors, a "You get my vote on this bill if this Doo-Hickey plant in my area gets a big order" type thing.
Wonderful way to do things, but it makes whiffery more real than you think.  :blink:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Gondor

Getting slowly through filling all the side windows, well there are 120 of them  :blink:

Might move on to putting more plastic together before filling the second sides windows to give myself a break from cutting small rectangles to fit the window frames.

Been thinking about how to mount the tail fin once I finalise its size and position. Plastic tube recessed into the edge of the fuselage so that the centre of the tube is on the centre line of the aircraft should allow me to use brass rod/tube in the centre of the fin as locating pins to help ensure the fin is in the right place, usually to the north west of the USSR.

Trying not to think of enlarging the family of military DC-10's with four engines as that will lead to myself getting fed up with the darn things and my spending loads of money on resin engines from Braz models. The ideas of Presidential Aircraft, Airborne Command Post, Navy Airborne Sub communications aircraft/command post and flying Laser laboratory are a few ideas but then there is the whole KC-135 family that could be used for inspiration.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, you KNOW you want to Alastair!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: Gondor on June 14, 2012, 02:33:51 PM
Getting slowly through filling all the side windows, well there are 120 of them  :blink:

Might move on to putting more plastic together before filling the second sides windows to give myself a break from cutting small rectangles to fit the window frames.

I'd have thought filling them with putty would have been easier?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

This project really is taking on a life of its own  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: rickshaw on June 15, 2012, 03:43:50 AM

I've done the same once to avoid using up a whole lot of putty. But you're right, it takes more time than just filling the lot with Milliput.

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on June 15, 2012, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on June 15, 2012, 03:43:50 AM

I've done the same once to avoid using up a whole lot of putty. But you're right, it takes more time than just filling the lot with Milliput.

My reason for filling the windows with plastic card is exactly as Hobbes said, to save filler which if applied in large quantities can deform the plastic which I do not want to do.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

I usually put a strip of styrene all the way along the inside of the windows, if any, and then putty from the outside. The only putty I've found that deforms the kit under those circumtances is Green Stuff. Almost anything else works a treat, my fave being Polyfilla Fine Finish in the tub, plus one tub last for EVER!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 15, 2012, 10:43:23 AM
I usually put a strip of styrene all the way along the inside of the windows, if any, and then putty from the outside. The only putty I've found that deforms the kit under those circumtances is Green Stuff. Almost anything else works a treat, my fave being Polyfilla Fine Finish in the tub, plus one tub last for EVER!

I have a strip of plastic card behind where the windows were, I am simply adding little rectangles to fill out the holes as I don't have much filler but I do have lots of plastic card.

Tried Polyfilla before but the tub dried out as I did less modelling than now. I also didn't like using it, so for me its personal choice and that is Mr White Putty  ;D

Gondor

Hobbes

Yes, some putties can deform plastic, esp. if you apply too much in one go. I had some trouble with that; I filled some windows and the putty was still soft a day later. These days I use Milliput for larger applications, because it doesn't have those problems. 

Gondor

A few pictures of how far I haven't got.

First a few of the windows with only a piece of backing plastic

Now a picture of some small pieces of plastic attempting to fill the windows

They look a little like broken teeth or even disturbed floor tiles

This is the size of the pieces I am filling the windows with, good job I use a lit magnifying glass when modelling for small details

This last picture for today shows the weapons bay next to the fuselage. This fits nicely where the centre cargo area would normally be on a standard DC-10. This version will have the below deck catering area fitted but used to house the electronics for the radar mounted under the forward fuselage.

I hope to get more real progress over the weekend.

Gondor

Gondor

Wile adding detail to the weapons bay I thought about changing to one maybe two rotary launchers for the bay. not really sure if it would be practical or not but it would enable a larger choice of load to be carried and individually selected as required.

Gondor

Gondor

Decided against using a rotary launcher, way too much work at this scale. I reached the conclusion that as the aircraft is USN it will more than likely only use the Mk 46 torpedo in the weapons bay so I can stuff it full with them. The sprue with the 1/144 Tornado from the Revell KC-10 I have is the right diameter so I can almost mass produce the torpedo anyway.

The size of the search radar which is going between the nose undercarriage bay and the weapons bay has yet to be decided on. At the moment I am favouring a quite large diameter bulge which would take up the majority of the space. There is a space of 4.5cm or 1 3/4"  between the undercarriage and weapons bay which I can use which works out as 6.48M and 21' which is a hell of a large dish. I am not up to date on modern air to surface search radars and their sizes but I can guess that I could easily fit any of them where I am proposing on the MPA DC-10 which I think I shall call the P-10 as the next number is P-9 and this is a DC-10 so I think it fits nicely.

Gondor

Sentinel Chicken

How much detailing are you going to do to the weapons bay? I'm getting one started for my Spruce Goose patrol bomber which will have wing bays, one of which will be opened up.

Gondor

Quote from: Sentinel Chicken on June 17, 2012, 09:30:24 PM
How much detailing are you going to do to the weapons bay? I'm getting one started for my Spruce Goose patrol bomber which will have wing bays, one of which will be opened up.

I don't plan to put a huge amount of detail into the bay but you never know how these things turn out as they can take on a life of their own. So far I have added some longitudinal beams to the roof of the bay, some pipe work and other odds and ends are due to go in next before I add the weapon mounting points. I will add a pictures as I progress.

Gondor