Mcdonall Douglas KC-11 et all

Started by Gondor, May 16, 2012, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2012, 10:56:51 AM
I think it was me who recommended the Revell Ten. The Airfix might fit a bit better but has loads of niggling errors.

How about PSRing the cockpit glazing and using a decal windscreen?

I plan on using the decal windscreen from the Draw Decals sheet, even ordered the other set that I do not have along with the P-8 naval aircraft so I can decal the aircraft relatively convincingly when I finish it.

How does the fin look to you Kit? Does it look about right? Opinions from anyone as the aesthetics do matter on this one to help fool the normal punter at shows.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Good move!

Looking at the the fin I'd make the height about half way between where you are now and where it was in the first place. It'll stilll need some hefty fin area to counteract the extra engines and it doesn't have the side area of the original third engine any more.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2012, 01:04:29 PM
Good move!

Looking at the the fin I'd make the height about half way between where you are now and where it was in the first place. It'll stilll need some hefty fin area to counteract the extra engines and it doesn't have the side area of the original third engine any more.

I take it you mean from this .......

to something more like this ......

with both images showing the original tail in BOLD black.

Don't worry about my having to modify the pins for the fin as the old fin part is not glued to the new fin fillet so any additional hight required can be added to the top and rear of the fillet thus preserving the leading and trailing edge angles.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

sequoiaranger

*SQUASH* that HUGE, ugly black tarantula before it multiplies and over-runs your household!!

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Gondor

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 29, 2012, 08:34:15 AM
*SQUASH* that HUGE, ugly black tarantula before it multiplies and over-runs your household!!

I pulled its legs off  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Gondor on July 18, 2012, 02:24:00 PM

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Yes Alsastair, that's pretty much what I meant.

I like the 'adaptable build' process.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2012, 03:47:25 PM
Yes Alsastair, that's pretty much what I meant.

I like the 'adaptable build' process.  :thumbsup:

That's due to my thinking way to much and not doing anything with plastic until I have thought through all the possibilities and options. Probably part of my approach to whiffing where I prefer to build some thing that looks as if it was not only designed that way but also engineered to be that way as well.

Gondor

Gondor

Now that the vertical tail has been effectively worked out as to what is gong to happen to it I have decided to work out how to modify the BRAZ engines I am going to use with my build. So far I have come to the conclusion that there is no real need to "exactly" follow the pylon shape as provided in the kit. Pictures tomorrow of what I am proposing which has the benefit of allowing me to make all four engines pylons the same.

Gondor

Gondor

As promised I have pictures of what I have and what I am proposing to do with the engines I have for this build.

First a comparison shot of the differences between the kit's engines and the replacement engines which are meant for a B767 so I know the pylons are not the same!

Next a shot of the same engines but with the proposed area for removal in red

And finally a shot of both the unmodified replacement engine and one with the proposed removal area in red

I may not bother to extend the rear of the engine pylon on any of the engines for three reasons:

1) The outer engines will not have the space chord wise for a longer pylon

2) I think they look good enough as they are

3) I'm feeling lazy about it

*edit: Just found out that the actual length of the wing contact surface is close enough for me not to bother*

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Oh yes Alastair, now you're really getting there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Looking at the DC10 engines makes you realise quite how silly those pylons look, the ENTIRE engine is cantilevered out forward of the leading edge! I can't imagine why, but someone in San Diego must have thought it was a good idea.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Lots of planning and very little building I am afraid kit. The good thing is though, when I am putting knife to plastic I will know exactly what I want to do.

Decals are on their way from Draw Decals in the US to put on the P-11 when its finished. Still need a name for it though  :banghead:

Sensible, or at least fairly sensible ideas please.

Gondor

Old Wombat

In keeping with the vaguely Greek mythological device of the P-3 Orion & P-8 Poseidon, how about the KC-11 Aquarius
(being the water carrier = fuel carrier?) :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 02, 2012, 10:47:37 AM
In keeping with the vaguely Greek mythological device of the P-3 Orion & P-8 Poseidon, how about the KC-11 Aquarius

Nice idea, but the build at the moment is one of the et all. the KC-11 is going to be a tanker version of the MD-11, this build is the MPA version of the DC-10 so will be the P-10 as that number is available and as it is anti-submarine etc it will need a suitable name.

Gondor

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 02, 2012, 12:25:49 AM
Oh yes Alastair, now you're really getting there!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Looking at the DC10 engines makes you realise quite how silly those pylons look, the ENTIRE engine is cantilevered out forward of the leading edge! I can't imagine why, but someone in San Diego must have thought it was a good idea.

I think the engines were easily accessible due to being so far forward of the wing  :blink:

Anyway, the Draw Decals arrived earlier this week so I have lots of marking to use on the P-10, still looking for a reasonable name folk, the P-10 is an MPA so something appropriate I think.

I have eventually bitten the bullet and taken a major step with the kit, deciding that some radical modification was necessary

Well after all there needs to be a hole for the weapons bay to be seen although I could have simply marked an outline then engraved panel lines to represent the doors. But being a glutton for punishment and pushing my modelling skills there is an interior

seen here held in place to give an idea of what the finished item will look like.

Not getting very far though as I had to do some fettling to the weapons bay which ended in my having to super glue the sides back in place so I am hoping to glue the bay into place soon.

Gondor

martinbayer

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 02, 2012, 10:47:37 AM

I'd actually go in the opposite direction with Prometheus - although it doesn't bring the fire itself, it brings the fuel  ;).

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.