Luftwaffe A7-Corsair II

Started by nönöbär, May 20, 2012, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Hi,

after reading here for quite a while and not have build a scale model for 10 years or so, I thought it would be a good idea to start again.

So after the first non-what-if's here is the first result, the Luftwaffe A-7 Corsair:

The model is a 1/72 matchbox kit. And every what-if needs a story, so here it is:

When the Luftwaffe introduced the F-104G Starfigher, the aircraft was also used by the Marineflieger Staffeln. But with all the problems of the F-104, it soon got obvious that the F104 was not the right plan for the naval attack role.

On March 10th, 1970, Olt. z. S. Joachim von Hassel, the son of the Bundestagspräsident, got lost in a Marine F104 crash. After this, politics demanded an alternative for this plane.

It was soon found. With the successful operation of the A7 Navy Bombers in Vietnam, the Verteidigungsminsterium decided to buy a total of 64 A7 Corsair II to replace the F-104 until the next generation Luftwaffe attack plane - what would become the MCRA Tornado - would be delivered.

With to increasing air war in Vietnam, it took until 1975 until the first A7 could be delivered to the Luftwaffe and they were actively used until 1985 when they were replaced by the Tornado.
In the early 1980s, Luftwaffe A7 operated on US carriers for training several times.

After removed from active service, the remaining A7s (4 were lost in the 10 years of operations) were sold to Greece, another operator of the A7.

Right now, I am working on some other stuff, but the next what-if is on its way soon.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Radish

Always looks clean, that scheme.
Love it  :wub: :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ed S

Great looking plane in those markings. Gotta love the SLUF however it's done.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

That's different too, an A7-D flying carrier ops. Nice one!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

kerick

Very plausible.  Nice paint and decals.  Where did you get the markings?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

nönöbär

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
Very plausible.  Nice paint and decals.  Where did you get the markings?

Thanks, I always liked the A7 and the Marineflieger painting.  So I tried to combine both... :)

The deacls are from "Microscale Decal" and they were quite good to work with.  Got a few sets from ebay recently.

--------------------

Spey_Phantom

nice build, looks slick and clean  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Very nice job - the Marineflieger scheme really suits it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

Great build n nice back story......well done n welcome
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mike Wren

the Corsair looks great in that scheme, well done  ;D

NARSES2

Looks really good in that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

bearmatt

Very nice! Is there perhaps some documentation (esp photos) about the german A-7, flying carrier ops....?  ;) ;D
The carpet monster took it!

nönöbär

Quote from: bearmatt on June 04, 2012, 10:30:57 PM
Very nice! Is there perhaps some documentation (esp photos) about the german A-7, flying carrier ops....?  ;) ;D

The German A-7 operated from land bases, as the German Navy did not operate any carriers. The model was part of the "Marinefliegergeschader 2", operating from Schleswig-Jagel. I have not seen any photos of them so far....  ;D

However, a German carrier of the 1970s would also be a nice what if....

--------------------