The Nimrod replacement P-8 or RC-135?

Started by McColm, May 23, 2012, 11:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Of course 'they' could just add a few more A330MRT's to those already bought/leased :wacko:
A330Maritime Rolled Tanker  :party:

Or what about the AVRO MRSA? (Must Refurbish the Shackleton Again  :cheers:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Weaver

There was serious talk of smaller European nations (The Netherlands in particular) joining the MRA.4 programme to the tune of 3 or 4 aircraft, but then drawing them as needed from a common fleet. In other words, they'd always have four LRMPAs that were "theirs" (with arrangements for more on a surge basis) but they'd get the logistics advantages of a bigger (24 aircraft?) fleet.

Now building an MRA.4 model isn't easy, but you might imagine a similar arrangement with P-8s, RC-135s or any other Nimrod replacement. It could even end up as a Joint NATO force, along the lines of the NATO AWACS fleet.

Speaking of a Nimrod replacement, What If they'd cancelled the MRA.4 earlier (when even I would have thought it sensible, if not pleasant) and gone for a less ambitious upgrade of the MR.2 with MRA.4 avionics and systems? Basically, forget the new wings and the BR-715s and "just" fit the digital flight deck and new generation mission systems. Now that's a model you could make: an MR.2 with MRA.4 lumps, bumps and aerials.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That would have been sensible, and would make for a good model. :thumbsup: Nimrod MR.2a?

I've been eyeing up a Revell A319 in my LHS, that will quite possibly get turned into a European MPA. Don't know whether it would be a RAF (Charybdis MRA.1?) machine, or possibly French/Dutch/Indian etc...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

RLBH

Quote from: Weaver on May 31, 2012, 09:24:20 AMSpeaking of a Nimrod replacement, What If they'd cancelled the MRA.4 earlier (when even I would have thought it sensible, if not pleasant) and gone for a less ambitious upgrade of the MR.2 with MRA.4 avionics and systems? Basically, forget the new wings and the BR-715s and "just" fit the digital flight deck and new generation mission systems. Now that's a model you could make: an MR.2 with MRA.4 lumps, bumps and aerials.....
You mean something like the MR.2 Mid-Life Update that was cancelled and the records thrown out when we bought into the P-7 project, whose the mission system went into the AP-3C, then was developed into the MRA.4 and P-8 mission systems? Nah, that would never work....

Scooterman

Quote from: Aircav on May 31, 2012, 12:23:25 AM
Argentinean or Chilean Nimrod anybody?  ;D
It would look well in Hemp with the blue, red and white star and may be a dark grey upper with a light grey underside for the Argentinean version.

I got a Chilean Nimrod in the pipeline, but not what you think.............. ;D

McColm

I'm building a Nimrod with TF-33 engines, based on the EC-135 'Looking Glass' aircraft flown by the USAF. I'll be adding a spin top from a Hawkeye and it's a five point tanker.

albeback

Quote from: McColm on June 03, 2012, 03:17:39 AM
I'm building a Nimrod with TF-33 engines, based on the EC-135 'Looking Glass' aircraft flown by the USAF. I'll be adding a spin top from a Hawkeye and it's a five point tanker.

Now THAT'S an interesting concept! Probably this is an obvious question but ,may I ask if you are planning to graft the complete  KC/EC-135 wings on to the Nimrod ? My own Nimrod "replacement" is almost complete but,I have an idea for another one using a Revell Airbus A321.

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Spey_Phantom

i had a similar idea some time ago, but ended up using it as an AEW platform instead.
you should see Hobbes A319 conversion, very inspirational  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

albeback

Quote from: Nils on June 03, 2012, 05:47:18 AM
i had a similar idea some time ago, but ended up using it as an AEW platform instead.
you should see Hobbes A319 conversion, very inspirational  :mellow:

I just did thanks.. Very impressive piece of work. However, I have a Revell A321 in my stash so I  thought I'd use that rather than buy another kit. The extended fuselage will make it easy to fit a weapons bay forward of the wing root. I also have a Revell A320 which I'm going to build as an AEW platform   :lol:
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

McColm

Quote from: albeback on June 03, 2012, 05:35:34 AM
Quote from: McColm on June 03, 2012, 03:17:39 AM

Now THAT'S an interesting concept! Probably this is an obvious question but ,may I ask if you are planning to graft the complete  KC/EC-135 wings on to the Nimrod ? My own Nimrod "replacement" is almost complete but,I have an idea for another one using a Revell Airbus A321.

Allan
No just the engines and internal/external parts. The fuselage has been used to extend a Heller 1/72
C-135RF. I've got three sets of C-135 wings and six CFM engines. The CFM engines are to go on my
C-135MR1 maritime patrol aircraft.

McColm

The recently retired RAF Sentinel was reported to be able to carry out ASW or maritime reccy missions. As it uses the same engines as the Nimrod MK4.

Hobbes

Quote from: albeback on June 03, 2012, 06:36:05 AM
I just did thanks.. Very impressive piece of work. However, I have a Revell A321 in my stash so I  thought I'd use that rather than buy another kit. The extended fuselage will make it easy to fit a weapons bay forward of the wing root. I also have a Revell A320 which I'm going to build as an AEW platform   :lol:

Thanks  :mellow:

I'd suggest swapping the two: Airbus did a proposal for an ASW version of the A320 for India. The A321 is more suited for AEW (higher wing loading, so it won't work as well at low altitudes).

Nick

Can it not be based on the Airbus 330 for cost savings with the current RAF Voyager fleet? Or is that too sensible... :rolleyes:?

pyro-manic

Quote from: Hobbes on June 03, 2012, 10:41:06 AMThe A321 is more suited for AEW (higher wing loading, so it won't work as well at low altitudes).

A higher wing-loading is better at low altitudes, as it gives a smoother ride.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hobbes

You're right of course, don't know how I mixed that up.

The A330 would be a good option for AEW (as you'll want as many operators as possible on board). It's rather bigger than necessary for ASW.