A Modernized Black Widow

Started by scooter, May 23, 2012, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

The more I read this the more I think of the B/A-26 COIN Invaders used in Vietnam. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Douglas_B-26K_Counter_Invader_USAF.jpg
Although a Korean war option would be great also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DouglasB26c_Invader.jpg
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: Ed S on June 07, 2012, 06:18:06 PM
Quote from: scooter on June 07, 2012, 08:39:28 AM

It occurs to me that if you're going with turboprops, you won't need the leading edge intakes either. ( oil
coolers? No idea what they are ) which would free up space in the wings for more fuel, or more guns.

Turboprops also use oil coolers. The oil is the hydraulic fluid that is used to move the variable pitch props. It is constantly moving through the props under pressure and heats up. If you look at turboprops, many of them have a small auxiliary intake and that goes to the oil cooler. One example I'm familiar with is the OV-10. The intake below the prop is for the engine. Just above the prop is a smaller intake and that goes to the oil cooler.

HTH
Ed

Then I'll leave them as is.  Thanks for the input Ed
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

scooter

Since there's a dearth of hobby shops near where I live, I'd ordered the Monogram Widow from Squadron...and totally forgot to quality check my account information.  Wound up sending it to someplace that doesn't exist through FedEx.   :banghead:

Now, to call Squadron tomorrow and see if they'll reship the kit to the right address.

Lesson learned from this?  Don't always trust Chrome Autofill.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

scooter

One of the greatest things about the Internet, besides here, is the fact that if you're searching for something, you just might find it.  Below are nose art test shots with the USAFM's P-61C Moonlight Serenade I did earlier this past week (all hail Paint.net).  I'm leaning more towards the third one, personally.

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

kerick

I have the Revelogram kit at home that a buddy gave me for my retirement from the Air Force reserves.  Been on the shelf too long.  This idea may just get it onto the bench soon.  Does anyone make the scmitar props from the C-130J or the Hawkeye in 1/48th?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

coolpop6307

Quote from: kerick on June 18, 2012, 06:11:57 AM
I have the Revelogram kit at home that a buddy gave me for my retirement from the Air Force reserves.  Been on the shelf too long.  This idea may just get it onto the bench soon.  Does anyone make the scmitar props from the C-130J or the Hawkeye in 1/48th?

I have been wanting to ask the same question.  :lol:
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

scooter

And, on a lark today, I decided to check our friendly neighborhood Michael's...and lo and behold two Widows on the shelf.  So naturally, I snapped one up.  Obligatory start pictures to appear soon.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

kerick

Suddenly they're breeding like rabbits.  :o :mellow:
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on June 18, 2012, 08:39:35 PM
Suddenly they're breeding like rabbits.  :o :mellow:

That's good.  Because it would've sucked if Revellogram only popped out 742 kits since 1974.  :blink:
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

raafif

can't shift 'em at any price in Oz ... one in my LHS for 7yrs  :blink:  But then I've only found one 1/48th scale kit in my entire state.

Someone , either here or on BTS, recently did a Turbo-prop Widow - the engine was a bit iffy but showed some promise.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

kerick

Quote from: coolpop6307 on June 18, 2012, 06:42:43 AM
I have the Revelogram kit at home that a buddy gave me for my retirement from the Air Force reserves.  Been on the shelf too long.  This idea may just get it onto the bench soon.  Does anyone make the scimitar props from the C-130J or the Hawkeye in 1/48th?

I have been wanting to ask the same question.  :lol:
I've been searching for the scimitar props aftermarket parts and no luck.  Any suggestions? I could make them myself but that would really slow things down.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on June 24, 2012, 07:10:16 AM
Quote from: coolpop6307 on June 18, 2012, 06:42:43 AM
I have the Revelogram kit at home that a buddy gave me for my retirement from the Air Force reserves.  Been on the shelf too long.  This idea may just get it onto the bench soon.  Does anyone make the scimitar props from the C-130J or the Hawkeye in 1/48th?

I have been wanting to ask the same question.  :lol:
I've been searching for the scimitar props aftermarket parts and no luck.  Any suggestions? I could make them myself but that would really slow things down.

I've not found scimitar props in 1/48th, that doesn't cannibalizing a Kinetic Hawkeye or Greyhound, but OzMods does a 1/48th 130A conversion kit that comes with the three bladed Aero Product props

Having cracked open and started working with the Kinetic Hawkeye, it does not have scimitars.  Dunno if the Greyhound does or not.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

kerick

When I think whiff I tend to go the unlimited route. P-61 (F-61?, A-61?) completely modernized with turboprop engines, scimitar props, weapons and guns. Maybe a Vulcan 20mm in the belly or the 30mm from the Apache. Could be useful in a place like Afhganistan. Hmmm desert camo! Would be well armed with Mavericks and LGB or JDAM. A tough airframe with easy to maintain engines and long loiter time for those missions far out into the mountain areas.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on June 24, 2012, 11:17:05 AM
When I think whiff I tend to go the unlimited route. P-61 (F-61?, A-61?) completely modernized with turboprop engines, scimitar props, weapons and guns. Maybe a Vulcan 20mm in the belly or the 30mm from the Apache. Could be useful in a place like Afhganistan. Hmmm desert camo! Would be well armed with Mavericks and LGB or JDAM. A tough airframe with easy to maintain engines and long loiter time for those missions far out into the mountain areas.

Funny you should mention that Kerick....

SPECIFICATIONS:
F-61C Block 40
CREW: 2 (PILOT, WEAPON SYSTEMS OPERATOR)
LENGTH: 49 ft 7 in
WINGSPAN: 66 ft
HEIGHT: 14 ft 8 in
WING AREA: 662.36 sq ft
EMPTY WEIGHT: 22610 lbs
LOADED WEIGHT:
MTOW:

POWERPLANT:
2x ALLISON T-56-A-427 5100 shp
PROPELLERS
2x AEROPRODUCTS 3 BLADED, 1 PER ENGINE
12 ft DIAMETER
(Due to be changed)
FUEL CAPACITY
INTERNAL:
EXTERNAL: 4x 330 GAL DROP TANKS

PERFORMANCE

MAX SPEED: 375 KIAS at 30,000
CRUISE SPEED: 295 KIAS
COMBAT RANGE: 678 nm
FERRY RANGE: UNLIMITED WITH IFR
SERVICE CEILING: 30,000 feet

ARMAMENT

GUNS: 4x M-39 20mm cannons
HARDPOINTS: 8x Underwing pylon stations and 1x fuselage targeting pod station
ROCKETS:

• 6x LAU-61/LAU-68 rocket pods (each with 19× /7× Hydra 70 mm rockets, respectively) or
  • 6x LAU-5003 rocket pods (each with 19× CRV7 70 mm rockets) or
  • 6x LAU-10 rocket pods (each with 4× Zuni 127 mm rockets)
AIR TO AIR MISSILES:

• 6x AIM-9 series or
  • 6x AIM-120 or
  • 6x IRIS-T
AIR TO GROUND MISSILES:

• 6x AGM-65 Maverick
  • 4x AGM-84 Harpoon
  • 8x AGM-114 Hellfire
BOMBS:

• 4-8 non-nuclear guided and unguided bombs up to 2000lbs.
AVIONICS

• Raytheon AN/APG-73 or AN/APG-82 Multi-mode radar
  • Northrop Grumman AN/ALR/67(V)3 Radar Warning Receiver
  • Northrop Grumman/ITT AN/ALE-165 Self-Protection Jammer Pod
  • MIDS LVT/MIDS JTRS datalink receiver
  • LANTIRN, Sniper XR, and LITENING targeting pods
es.
Some of the data came out of Wikipedia, from either the Hercules, Hawkeye or Greyhound pages.  I stayed with single barrel cannons, over a Vulcan, simply for ammo loadout.  Anything in red is due to be changed, once I figure out the various variables.

I'll be going for a SEAC variation, with low viz markings.  For the most part.  There will be a Black Widow hourglass on the belly as well. 

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

Green Dragon

Has anyone measured the scimitar props from the Revell A400M on a P-61? You get two sets in the kit so you won't waste a model by nicking them. I was thinking of buying the A400 and making a set of contra-props for my P-61.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)