Grumman/Martin F8F-3 Maraudercat 1947

Started by johnsjunk, May 24, 2012, 02:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsjunk

With Grumman being over taxed with building F6F's and F7F's for the invasion of Japan. It had to look to Martin to take over production of it's new Kamikaze interceptor.
With Martin ending production with there B-26 Marauder they were more than happy to start production on the F8F. To speed up production Martin would use all there leftover pre assembled Marauder Pratt and Whitney R-2800 engine and cowling's on the new F8F-3's.

The majority of the Martin F8F-3's went to the Marines who with great affection called them "Hammer Heads" and were used mostly in the Middle East and North Africa.

Thanks for looking.....John

sandiego89

I like it John, USMC aircraft always need that beat up look and you did it well.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

raafif

interesting idea that works well ;)  Those intakes don't cut down on pilot vision much either.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Sentinel Chicken

Great looking idea and the beat up finish looks great!

RussC

I'm gonna echo the rest on your weathering level and include the camo. Also liked the backstory and especially the given nickname, for the F8F-3. Hammer Head just drips with Uh Rahhh!

Is this the old Monogram kit?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Cobra

3 Words:donkey Kicking Plane :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the Great Work! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

johnsjunk

Quote from: RussC on May 24, 2012, 07:50:33 PM
I'm gonna echo the rest on your weathering level and include the camo. Also liked the backstory and especially the given nickname, for the F8F-3. Hammer Head just drips with Uh Rahhh!

Is this the old Monogram kit?

Thank you RussC , It is an old Testors kit in 1/48th scale. And the PW R-2800 is from a Monogram B-26 Marauder.

johnsjunk

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. Its been a while since I have been able to post here. I could not log on with my password for a long time. Now it works  :blink: and I have been busy with new and old builds. So I will be catching up on all your cool builds. And will be posting more soon. Thank you all... John

Hotte

Army of One

What a spanking idea n really well executed....!!!! Love the look and the nickname.....!!! Great work.....as gunny would say.....uh raaaah....!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

RotorheadTX

Brilliant!! Well done!!

I started playing around with the nose of an F4U-5, vs. Bearcat and Sea Fury fuselages, and realized it was a good matchup.
I turned it upside-down and saw the Marauder cowlings would go too.
I didn't have a Marauder cowling; you did, "the rest is history" as the saying goes.....   :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

comrade harps

Whatever.

kitbasher

Quote from: Army of One on May 25, 2012, 03:32:46 AM
What a spanking idea n really well executed....!!!!

Spanking indeed.  And looking at the paint job I can't help but feel it'd look great with Israeli stars of David instead of US stars 'n' bars.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter