Vindictive Class - HMS Iris

Started by tigercat, May 27, 2012, 08:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

HMS Iris is a Vindictive Class carrier. She was converted to a full carrier from a Hawkins Class cruiser. She was partly named after the Greek Goddess Iris with her associations with communication, messages and new endeavors. She was also partly named to commemorate the actions of her near namesake HMS Iris 2 at Zeebrugge.
Also Iris with it's association with eyes fit nicely with the many eyed Argus and was also replaced  in the  Odyssey by Hermes with these classical associations the Admiralty ship naming committee was happy to name the ship HMS Iris although what the sailorts who had to sail in her thought of the name can not be repeated.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

RussC

BIG project! Looking good so far. :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

pyro-manic

1:96? Are you using Hawkins plans and modifying? Need more info!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

That's big enough for motors, batteries and R/C gear!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

Made  a Hawkins hull then went from there there is  a couple of speculative pictures of what Vindictive would look as a full carrier with twin funnels so the superstructure is partly based on pictures of HMS Eagle and partly on details from Anatomy of a Ship HMS Victorious that i have currently from the library. 

NARSES2

Big project, looking forward to it  :thumbsup: There's a 1/96 Japanese carrier in the Pearl Harbour museum with a full flightdeck. It's big but not as big as I thought
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

It will be 1/72 ish 1/72 so I can use aircraft kits and "ish" due to sanity and space requirements size of standard plastic card  and the need to get it up 2 flights of stairs. It works out about 3 cm thinner and about 20-30 cm shorter than actual scale however in my universe they just buils smaller Hawkins Class cruisers

I've always  wanted to do a carrier and one reason I chose a Hawkins class was due to the space requirements.

Eagle's superstructure does look very U boaty and  Conning Towerish  I think becuase of the taper . I may well give her her own "Winter Garden"  in front of the bridge.

tigercat

HMS Iris and HMS Raven

Spey_Phantom

holy sh*t, those look legendary  :thumbsup:
love it.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Where the heck do you keep these things ?????  Amazing modelling - reminds me of those old "garden scale" railway layouts
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

I am  starting to run out of space I think my next project will have to be a lifeboat in N scale.

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on September 19, 2012, 07:30:11 AM
I am  starting to run out of space I think my next project will have to be a lifeboat in N scale.

;D ;D

tigercat

and as it's a Whif armed with an 18 inch gun.

JayBee

Quote from: tigercat on September 19, 2012, 11:52:13 PM
and as it's a Whif armed with an 18 inch gun.

No doubt to be fired backwards to provide forward propulsion.  :wacko: :blink:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!