Fokker F-28 COD/Tanker

Started by Hobbes, May 29, 2012, 01:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

How about something like this Harro, a 1/72 F-18 nose gear with some Aeroclub wheels from set V038

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I remember that artwork in an 'Octopus Publications' book from the 1980's.... I think. Great project Harro, looking forward to seeing much more soon.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Hobbes

Progress report

One of the fuselage cuts went wrong, so I had to take extra care during assembly. Luckily, the right-side fuselage half was okay, so I could use that as a template. I dryfitted the fuselage, this made sure that all the pieces were in the correct position relative to each other. Then I made a temporary bridge between the left-side pieces.

Once this was done, I could add braces on the inside, and start filling the gap.

You can also see I've been reshaping the wing fairing, this needed to be shortened.

For the nose gear, I've assembled this:

I've decided to use the Bill Gunston artwork as a guide for the nose gear, so I'll add the strut seen in that pic. The brochure doesn't go into detail, but one of the diagrams does indicate that the area behind the nose wheel would be altered, so I'll do some guesswork (with one eye on the E-2 for comparison).

RotorheadTX

I ended up cutting the aft fuselage on mine too - photos to be posted shortly.
I tell you what, I cannot praise the JLC razor-saw highly enough, those things kick butt!!
(Be sure to get the full-boat kit too, they're on sale from UMM right now.)

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=37&osCsid=21ade062df942b52b5a4f6f87d109d25

Hobbes

I've placed a bulkhead behind the cockpit:

and added a slot in the fuselage aft of the wheel well. This will hold a drawbar that attaches to the front wheels.

The main gear needs some strengthening, so I've made the legs a bit thicker:

I've done as much PSR as I can on the individual halves, plus some detail work like this cargo door.

Then I stuck the fuselage halves together, and started sculpting the aft end of the wing fairing. Due to the fuselage cuts, the original fairing doesn't fit so I've used Milliput to create the shape.

The fuselage is now ready for its first coat of primer.

I've added the wings. Here's my alignment jig. Using business cards as shims to get the correct height, and a tinlet of paint as weight, this would keep the wing and fuselage in position while the glue cured.
Because I'd removed the locating pins from the wings, it took a few tries, but the wings are now in place.

Gondor

Love the aliment method  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Great work/improvisation. Exactly what I would do... just use what's around and make it work for you  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Army of One

Awesome work.....great use of everyday materials.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on July 15, 2012, 02:27:56 PM
Love the aliment method  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Yup, gives a great idea of scale as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

Oh boy, an airliner to land on a carrier. I like that. I'll be interested in that pdf, really (drop me a mail through my whatif member box).
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Green Dragon

Doing a great job Hobbes! Look forward to seeing it completed. Saw some pics of it in Air International or Flight IIRC back in the 80's. Seem to remember a painting from behind the F-28, airbrakes open and diving towards a carrier.
Always wanted to build one but I keep getting outbid on ebay!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Hobbes

The brochure contained this line:

Quotere-engine ge-404 or rolls 183-03

At the time I couldn't find what the Rolls 183-03 was, so I decided to go with Speys (as standard on the Fokker F.28) for my build. I went to some lengths to procure them; Kit graciously agreed to send me a pair from his stash, which got lost in the mail; OGL cast resin copies of another pair (to be sent via Kit again), Kit's hospitalisation intervened, I ended up buying a BAC 1-11 kit in the end because I really wanted to finish the model before SMW. I'm almost ready to attach those to the fuselage.

Today I found out the RR 183-03 is the RR Tay. The Tay is used on the Fokker 70 and 100, which was my base kit so I could have used those except, I used those on my Sentinel build. Next job: find another Revell Fokker 100.

Can you say  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ?

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on October 23, 2012, 11:36:55 AM
The brochure contained this line:

Quotere-engine ge-404 or rolls 183-03

At the time I couldn't find what the Rolls 183-03 was, so I decided to go with Speys (as standard on the Fokker F.28) for my build. I went to some lengths to procure them; Kit graciously to send me a pair from his stash, which got lost in the mail; OGL cast resin copies of another pair, Kit's hospitalisation intervened, I ended up buying a BAC 1-11 kit in the end because I really wanted to finish the model before SMW. I'm almost ready to attach those to the fuselage.

Today I found out the RR 183-03 is the RR Tay. The Tay is used on the Fokker 70 and 100, which was my base kit so I could have used those except, I used those on my Sentinel build. Next job: find another Revell Fokker 100.

Can you say  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ?

Yes, and in spades by the sound of it  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

I love the clamp on the rudder! THAT will not move. Nice show of the scale of that kit. I had no idea it was so small. It makes your work on the gear even more impressive.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Hobbes

Decision time: which paint scheme to use?
In general, USN aircraft used light gull grey over white. The Greyhound was an exception: it had white on top and bottom, grey on the sides.

This looks like white on top and grey on the bottom:

I'm inclined to follow this picture, but it's a bit odd that the colors are reversed viz the norm.