Ilyushin Il 28 - Knights Templar

Started by benskipper, June 02, 2012, 01:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benskipper

Part of 2 sqn's worth of a/c gifted by the Holy Russian Empire to the Knights Templar Air Corps in 1957. This a/c served on the Eastern Antioch Front (2 yellow stripes on port wing) in the combat patrol role. These patrols roamed the desert along the borders of the Greater Islamic Lands and the Middle Eastern fringes of the Holy Roman Empire.

This particular a/c was piloted by Brother Knight Michel de Payens and flew from Al-Bukamal, a town often attatcked by rocket fire from G.I.L forces. The camoflage adopted is a simple blue/grey underbelly with a mottled camoflage coat of Brown and light tan, which works well in the border desert.

The tail cross, theatre stripes and shield emblems are sprayed and masked on...the shields seemed a good idea at the time.
Livin' the dream since '74

deathjester

beowulf

ooo...that looks familiar  ;D

still awesome  :wub:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

RussC

Tamiya 1/100 kit? I know Airfix made a 1/72 beagle. This looks like Tamiya.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Gondor

Quote from: RussC on June 02, 2012, 04:15:12 PM
Tamiya 1/100 kit? I know Airfix made a 1/72 beagle. This looks like Tamiya.

Looks like the Italeri kit to me

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

benskipper

This is Tamiya's 1:100 kit. Only a bit of milliput around the wing roots and engine nacelles. The next project will be a little departure from HRE etc....I have a plan.  :lol:
Livin' the dream since '74

kitbasher

I've come close to buying one of the Tamiya 1/100 IL-28s on a few occasions of late to turn it into a 1/72 scale single-seat fighter (with a radar in the nose, of course).  Obviously the tail end would need surgery to remove the gunner's position.  May still get one yet, as I've seen them going for under £3.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Knights Templar, now thats really whiffing!  Good job!! :mellow:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

RussC

Quote from: kitbasher on June 03, 2012, 03:07:16 AM
I've come close to buying one of the Tamiya 1/100 IL-28s on a few occasions of late to turn it into a 1/72 scale single-seat fighter (with a radar in the nose, of course).  Obviously the tail end would need surgery to remove the gunner's position.  May still get one yet, as I've seen them going for under £3.
;D ;D

Its actually a great starting point kit to build the straight (and long!) wing Yak 25 RD "Mandrake" high altitude machine.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RussC on June 03, 2012, 07:01:19 PM
I've come close to buying one of the Tamiya 1/100 IL-28s on a few occasions of late to turn it into a 1/72 scale single-seat fighter (with a radar in the nose, of course).  Obviously the tail end would need surgery to remove the gunner's position.  May still get one yet, as I've seen them going for under £3.
;D ;D

Its actually a great starting point kit to build the straight (and long!) wing Yak 25 RD "Mandrake" high altitude machine.

It may be easier to get the A Model kit, and there's a Broplan vacform of the 'Mandrake' as well.

(But I would know that, wouldn't I?  ;D)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2012, 01:11:46 AM
Quote from: RussC on June 03, 2012, 07:01:19 PM
I've come close to buying one of the Tamiya 1/100 IL-28s on a few occasions of late to turn it into a 1/72 scale single-seat fighter (with a radar in the nose, of course).  Obviously the tail end would need surgery to remove the gunner's position.  May still get one yet, as I've seen them going for under £3.
;D ;D

It may be easier to get the A Model kit, and there's a Broplan vacform of the 'Mandrake' as well.

(But I would know that, wouldn't I?  ;D)

I knew you would!  ;)

Actually, I'm not sure that A model was around in 75' when I built the Mandrake, although we had lots of vacuforms by then, Sutcliffe, Contrail, a few more brands too.

PR19_Kit

I'm pretty sure A Model weren't around in the 70s, and I doubt even Broplan were either. I've got the Broplan Mandrake kit and it's pretty good, but then it is a Broplan of course, with all the intrinsic issues that involves.

Do you still have your Mandrake and if so can we see some piccies please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Like much of my works, long departed. Have always been more about building and not collecting. This may sound odd, but the hobby and its mediums have almost been more like the doodling drawing pad next to the telephone, lots of creativity that goes away. And I just made reference to fixed station desktop telephones and revealed my age group again !  :lol:

As a matter of fact, I only began photographing models that I built from 80' to 86' and then caught the digital photo bug in 2005.

I used the IL28 fuselage, engines and wings -for the outer panels. I added from other kits the solid nose, tail and inner wing panels plus the bicycle landing gear. It came very close to the reference pics but these were very basic line drawings in Jane's. There was not a proliferation of reference books back then.

Since I was always making models of obscure subjects, many of my peers often requested them and I tended to adopt them out. For subjects, I would build the odd Japanese prototypes, but didn't have a Zero on my shelf, or built the Myasischev Bounder but didn't have a Mig-15 and I Had a scratchbuilt Welkin, but not a single Hurricane or Spit!

I had wanted a set of 2 of these long wing conversions and built the Yak25 RD and the RB-57 using the Revell Canberra kit. There wasn't a injection molded 1/72 U2 kit until Airfix began making it in 82' (84?). The 144th crowd finally have a U2 kit just a few months ago from Asia.