NöNöBärs's What-If Flugwerft (WIP: Greenland Airforce TS-11 Qinngorneq)

Started by nönöbär, June 06, 2012, 12:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Thanks for your feedback so far  ;D

I now came across a few things where I am nut 100% sure what to do:

1) What camo scheme? I could use a typical dark green/black green/light blue for it. But as it is a what-if, maybe to do something else
Maybe a dark gray/light gray/light blue this time? Or a pre-war green/brown/gray? Or something else.
I never succeeded to make a late war camo pattern with the airbrush so I would avoid to try this one

2) Should I add an additional machine gun on top on the new middle section?

3) Should I use a two ender tail with two side rudders like the original Do 217 or add a third one?

I would appreciate any good input on this!
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

My thoughts

1) I'd go with the pre war scheme. Always liked it.

2) I think another m.g. would work.

3) 2 ender tail as you say

:thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 27, 2014, 09:15:14 AM
My thoughts

1) I'd go with the pre war scheme. Always liked it.

2) I think another m.g. would work.

3) 2 ender tail as you say

:thumbsup:

I totally agree.
1- I also prefer the pre-war scheme on these airplanes
2- The more guns, the better!  :wacko:
3- 2 ender tail looks better

But still, the dark/light grey and blue could also look good on such a bird.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TallEng

Me too! :thumbsup:

1) that pre-war tri-colour camouflage that used to be one of colour schemes in the Airfix box
I think it was a lightish grey RLM63? And Brown RLM81 and a green with Helblau undersides.
2) one more machine gun can't hurt can it?  :o
3) I like the idea of the twin fins (two ender) but maybe they would need to be increased in size
To take account of the extra engines? Or you could keep the original fin size and add one in the middle
Keeping the same shape as the outside ones.

Note Rule 1 applies

Regards
Keith

*rule 1 = it's my plane/train/boat/car etc etc and I'll do what I think I want....
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Dizzyfugu

Another paint scheme option - depending on the intended mission - could be the Luftwaffe's maritime (splinter) paint scheme in RLM 72/73 with RLM 65 undersides? Very murky colors, though, Fw 200 and He 115 carried it in the early WWII period.

My vote for the end plate fin solution, too, and I agree that the size/area should slightly be enlarged.

nönöbär

Well, thanks for the feedback.
So, it looks as if a pre-war color scheme is the way to go. Actually, this was my favorite, but I guess I have to re-think the story for the plane now. The time would now be more 1936 instead of 1941/42.

More guns - I knew it.....  ;D
I found some nice parts in a Revell He 177, so I will use this as an additional gun position. Plus some remove controlled guns in the tail.

The hull is now enlarged (ok, this is the second attempt, the first one got wrong) with the new gun positions. Plus a drawing (wrong plane, I know) about a color scheme.

And I have to see how the tail&rudders can be made a bit bigger.

--------------------

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nönöbär

Two things to do on the Do218 right now:

The wings, mostly done now, and only some fine tuning is required. Only the inner engines will get the landing gear:

The enlarged hull with the additional gun position. A lot of putty and sanding is now required:

Everything put together - more or less - plus the enlarged tail:

--------------------

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Still a long way to go.....

Hull: Enlarged, done
Wings: Added to hull, done

Now close all the gaps between hull and wings with putty & sand everything smoothly....

--------------------

nönöbär

Sabotage!!!!

While I am in the final steps to smooth the connection between hull and wings, I had to find out that somebody has sabotaged the construction of the Do 218.

It seems that the front cockpit window is missing in one of the kits I use for the model. and in the other, all windows are missing :(

So I fear I have to see to find another of those old Airfix kits to get the missing part...

In the meantime, the plane is almost ready for getting the first layers of paint:

--------------------

NARSES2

Dizzyfugu

Oh, love what I see (and expect)...  :wub:

Keep it up, that one looks very promising!  :thumbsup:

The Chaos

Yor Aircraft looks very amazing.  <_<
I wait for the color.

Weaver

I'm not sure, but I have half a memory that there MIGHT be a Do.17 nose glazing in a box upstairs. i'll have a look later and if I'm right, you're welcome to it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones