M-7 SPAAG - A little help please!!

Started by deathjester, June 06, 2012, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Here's a handy Berlin map of the period. The West Berlin - DDR border is the pink line outlined in dark blue. I've noted the locations of the Potsdammer Brucke and the Brit Forces areas for future reference.

ALL my expenses forms from that period were three feet long!  ;D The whole place had an attitude of 'Play now, there may not be a tomorrow.....'  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

^ Sorry, Kit, but the pink/dark blue border is not the West Berlin/GDR border. I think it's (complete) Berlin's city limits, the border between today's Bundesland Berlin and surrounding Bundesland Brandenburg.

Here's a better map showing the sectors and the Berliner Mauer:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Well, OK, but in the area that we were discussing it is the effective West Berlin/DDR border............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Erm, no. The pink/dark blue border in your map includes both West and East Berlin.

The yellow line in the following map was the (de facto) West Berlin - DDR border. The pink/dark blue border in your map would be the dotted line around all of Berlin (all four sectors) in this map.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Nonononono, you misunderstand me.

We were talking about the area around Potsdam, the Wannsee, Gatow and Spandau, which is where deathjester's backstory takes place. In that area, on the WEST border between West Berlin and the DDR, my original map is as close as needs be.

My original point was that it was unlikely that deathjester's Brit twin AA tank would have been located in Potsdam, as Potsdam was IN the DDR.

OK now?

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2012, 01:22:48 AM

My original point was that it was unlikely that deathjester's Brit twin AA tank would have been located in Potsdam, as Potsdam was IN the DDR.

OK now?
OOPS!
No wonder they were shooting at us!

Is Potsdamme Brucke ok for the story?  I'm confused now (it don't take much...)  :lol: :lol:

PR19_Kit

Potsdammer Brucke means 'Potsdam Brdige', which is the one that actually crosses the border, and its east end is in the American Sector. You can see on ChernayaAkula's 2nd map where the British Sector bounderies were, so it rather depends how far you envisage the DDR forces penetrated in your backstory and where they came from.

You could have your M-7 SPAAG at the west end of the Spandau streets, maybe at the west end of the HeerStrasse, or on the Seegefelder Strasse further to the north. Actually if I was the DDR commander I'd drive down the U Bahn railway line that's in between those two streets.

On the other hand you could make it happen right in the middle of the city as the British Sector went as far east as the Brandenburg Gate, and the Reichstag too. I've seen Saladin ACs driving down the small track between the Reichstag and the River Spree in the 70s and 80s, so that could work just as well.

Regards
Kit

coolpop6307

Can I just say one thing......I am so confused  :unsure: but the tank looks awesome,I might have to do someting similar.  :thumbsup:
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2012, 01:22:48 AM
Nonononono, you misunderstand me.

We were talking about the area around Potsdam, the Wannsee, Gatow and Spandau, which is where deathjester's backstory takes place. In that area, on the WEST border between West Berlin and the DDR, my original map is as close as needs be.

OK now?

Yeah! Now I got it.  :thumbsup: For the Western border around the points you pointed out, the pink/dark blue border is indeed the West Berlin / DDR border. I had just assumed you meant ALL of the pink/dark blue border. That's where I lost you.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

deathjester

Quote from: coolpop6307 on June 18, 2012, 07:01:04 AM
Can I just say one thing......I am so confused  :unsure: but the tank looks awesome,I might have to do someting similar.  :thumbsup:
Confused too !  Thanks for the comments on the tank - easy to make, and as already mentioned, the turret would look better on a lower, wider hull.  But this one has a certain charm...

Turret consists of plastic card, Games Workshop Ork guns, with aerosol valve parts, and a deflector dish from the Polar Lights Enterprise.

PR19_Kit

You and deathjester both then.  ;D

ChernayaAkula  and I know the place reasonably well, but even in the 70s and 80s when I was there it was a MADHOUSE! Where else would you be likely to see an M-60 tank waiting to cross traffic lights in the middle of the city?  :o

That's what I could see almost every morning from my apartment window as the US Army took up its positions near to Check Point Charlie.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2012, 10:39:39 AM

You and deathjester both then.  ;D

ChernayaAkula  and I know the place reasonably well, but even in the 70s and 80s when I was there it was a MADHOUSE! Where else would you be likely to see an M-60 tank waiting to cross traffic lights in the middle of the city?  :o

That's what I could see almost every morning from my apartment window as the US Army took up its positions near to Check Point Charlie.

So, you witnessed this, then Kit?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUmfKX3C04 ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on June 19, 2012, 05:40:58 AM
So, you witnessed this, then Kit?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUmfKX3C04 ;D

Not exactly that event because it was in '61, the year I left school.  ;D

I lived on the Hohenzollendamm which was an extension  of ClayAlle on which the US Army's headquarters were based. They always had a 2 or 3 vehicle contingent of M60s tucked away around the corner from Checkpoint Charlie and they changed duty twice a day as I recall. The day shift came on at around 0630 and one of the routes to the duty went up ClayAllee and Hohenzollendamm. I didn't need an alarm clock on those mornings I can tell you! There was a cross street that ran across the back of my apartment and crossed the H'damm with some traffic lights right there. If they were red the tanks stopped!  ;D

You could almost FEEL them there through your feet, they made such a din!

As for Checkpoint Charlie itself, I've been there loads of times. I took Mrs PR19 there once, in '84 or so, and she stood on the scaffolding viewing stand and WAVED to the DDR and Soviet guards!!!!!  :o

The US Army Master Sergeant with us took her arm and gently sheparded her down the stairs, saying 'That's not too advisable M'am. Those guys over there don't think QUITE the same way about waving as we do!'  ;D

No doupt there are piccies of her in some ex-Stasi and ex-KGB files somewehere.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

raafif

Both Brixmis & the US MLM had compounds in Potsdam, East Germany until 1992 (the domestic staff were Stasi "undercover" people).
The M7's turret looks like a prototype of a Shilka variant so maybe it was recovered from a DDR test-range by Brixmis ?

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2012, 07:16:10 AM
I took Mrs PR19 there once, in '84 or so, and she stood on the scaffolding viewing stand and WAVED to the DDR and Soviet guards!!!!!  :o

The US Army Master Sergeant with us took her arm and gently sheparded her down the stairs, saying 'That's not too advisable M'am. Those guys over there don't think QUITE the same way about waving as we do!'  ;D

No doupt there are piccies of her in some ex-Stasi and ex-KGB files somewehere.........  ;)

Any photo would be in the Stasi files not KGB, so you can apply to look for any that may have survived ;)

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

deathjester

Almost done chaps!  Just the varnishing now - here's a pic for now, and the rest of the story to follow soon!