yes this is a what-if, Me 163S FINISHED

Started by matrixone, June 11, 2012, 02:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here is the finished Academy 1/72 scale Me 163 that was finished last week and had to wait until now to get some pics of it because of all the wet weather that has been in my area.

The Me 163S two seat trainer was a real aircraft but came too late to actually to be used in training pilots to operate the Me 163 fighter, by the time the Me 163S was built the Me 163 program was winding down so there was not a big need for it anymore and only a couple test flights were made in it before the war ended. Despite its odd looks it was airworthy but when flown from the instructors cockpit it was said to not be easy to land because of poor visability of the ground from that cockpit.

My Me 163S is in markings of a fictional trainer used by 7./JG 400 while based at Husum in 1945.

The pic below was taken from inside the hangar looking outside towards the airfield, the nose of the Me 163S can just barely be seen on the left side inside the hanager.

Matrixone

raafif

it needs to be painted black with night-fighter radar aerials on the nose .... and parked alongside a Do-335 2-seater :wacko:

nice model, might do one for my 48th CMK schlepper :thumbsup:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

scooter

And that, kids, is how Lockheed got the idea for the trainer U2/SR-71Bs...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  :thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fantastic photographs of a great "little" model
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks guys! :cheers:

Here are two pics that I forgot to post yesterday....

I have a number of pics of the other Komet I finished last week the HobbyBoss Me 163B, the pics of the Me 163B are better than the pics in this thread...after being in a slump for a while I feel like I got my picture taking 'mojo' back. ;)

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

That 2 seater really looks the business!  :thumbsup:

I found to my amazement that I have one too! I didn't realise it was included in the single seater kit as well.  :banghead:

My brain immediately saw it being flown by 'Winkle' Brown in RAF Camo with a yellow underside........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

matrixone

Thanks Kit!

Like raafif suggested, I have long thought about building the two seat Me 163S as a nightfighter complete with drop tanks and radar antenna, camo would be black undersurfaces with RLM 76 uppersrface base coat with RLM 75 mottling, yum! ;D

I am also building a 1/48 scale Me 163B from the Testors/HAWK kit, a real classic mold kit from the early 1960s.

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

Quote from: matrixone on June 12, 2012, 01:08:03 PM
I am also building a 1/48 scale Me 163B from the Testors/HAWK kit, a real classic mold kit from the early 1960s.

Is that the one with the 'plastic rocket flame' that plugs into the exhaust? I think they did an Ohka with the same 'feature' too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

matrixone

Yes thats the one! When I built that old HAWK kit when I was a kid I thought the clear red/orange flame was so cool. ;)

Matrixone

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 12, 2012, 11:39:26 AM

I found to my amazement that I have one too! I didn't realise it was included in the single seater kit as well.  :banghead:

Does it ? I'll have to check mine when I get home
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Quote from: matrixone on June 12, 2012, 09:02:41 PM
Yes thats the one! When I built that old HAWK kit when I was a kid I thought the clear red/orange flame was so cool. ;)

Matrixone

I thought those only came with kits of dragsters and Funny-Cars!
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2012, 03:19:28 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 12, 2012, 11:39:26 AM

Does it ? I'll have to check mine when I get home

It's only in the Academy kit Chris, not in other Me 163s that I've found.

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

Nice job!

After recently going up for a glider ride, I might suggest someone do an "Me-163S" with the long, typically high aspect-ratio wings of "civilian" gliders--maybe add a bit of tail for stability. That would be a nice ride!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

matrixone

Thanks sequoiaranger!

A longer wingspan on the Me 163 would have been pleasing to the eye as well as a way of slightly increasing its fuel load and lowering the high landing speed. ;)

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on June 13, 2012, 06:07:33 AM
........ an "Me-163S" with the long, typically high aspect-ratio wings of "civilian" gliders--maybe add a bit of tail for stability. That would be a nice ride!

Now you're talking my language.....  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit