Waiting my turn..... SNJ-5 Texan

Started by johnsjunk, June 12, 2012, 03:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsjunk

Back in the 60's and early 70's it wasn't uncommon to drive through rural airports and come across an ex-Military aircraft on the tarmack. After WWII you could buy one relatively cheap. And many were bought and flown to airports all over the country.
Some had long civilian careers and some never left the airport and were put aside and scrapped after years of just sitting and rotting away and being picked apart by vandals. Some seemed to always get a reprieve from the cutting torch to someday fly again!
This SNJ-5 Texan is one of the few that would survive to fly another day and become a Warbird.

I started out with a Revelogram T-6/SNJ Texan in 1/48th scale. Since I was going for the abandoned look I didn't need a lot of parts. So I cut off the outer wing panels,stabilizers,rudder,gutted the cockpits and opened up the luggage compartment.

I had to buy another one for the center wing section after I used too much filler and it softened and left a dent on the upper wing.
This T-6 will be abandoned next to this one when done.

All comments are welcome, Thanks for looking.  :blink: John

scooter

To quote a certain whiny farmboy "What a piece of junk!"  Nice work
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

RotorheadTX

Really dang good!! I'd swear I've seen that out in west Texas somewhere.....   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That brings back memories, superb work there!  :thumbsup:

When my Dad was at his last RAF station before retirement, I would have been around 13-14 then,  we had an ex-RAF Harvard plonked down in the kid's playground at the end of our road. It had a cowling but no engine inside and the wheels were retracted so it sat flat on the ground. But the entire cockpit was there and most of the plexiglass was still in place in the canopy frame too!

Goodness knows how many 'missions' I flew against various Luftwaffe oppenents in that Harvard. Needless to say they all came off second best against 'Killer Kit'.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

What a lovely bit of modelling :thumbsup:
Though to be honest, I think there might be too much air in the main wheels. (no criticism intended)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

Lovely work!  I love models of aircraft looking battered and neglected, kind of a sad tribute.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Go4fun

"Just which planet are you from again"?

Ed S

Superb.  A very real looking relic.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Tophe

This is so perfect a model, both JMNs and what-ifers may clap their hands, no?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

rickshaw

Very evocative.  All you need is some kids looking at it to make a real diorama.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

Awesome piece of work there....!!!

Kit....what an awesome childhood....!!! Very jealous...!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!