Main Menu

HMS Elephant

Started by tigercat, June 17, 2012, 02:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Soon to be joining HMS Isis will be HMS Elephant which will be a battleship now due to space requirements she'll have to be around Espana class size  and also have a Transom stern to save space

The plan is  to give her an HMS Eagle style bow.

The plan started as a shorter HMS Neptune Type but has evolved.

Now She will have turrets in A Q and Y positions

The Q turret similar to HMS Tiger

In order to explain he design idiosyncracies she will have been an export order taken over during WW1building for a country with limited dock space  and in order for her to  still be around in WW2 she will be armed with 3x triple 15 inch turrets and have a good turn of speed not sure how fast yet but probably in mid to high 20's Q Turret will have a good arc of fire so while she will only be able to fire 3 guns straight head  she'll be able to fire at least 6 guns  on most other bearings

The triple turrets actually work well with her name as you can probably imagine an unofficial ships badge of a  triple 15 inch transmorgified into an elephants head.

tigercat

Have worked some on the Bridgeover the weekend. It will be  mostly inspired by HMS Warspite mainly due to the fact that I like the look and I have the anatomy  of a Warship HMS Warspite from the library. However there will be elements of HMS Queen Elizabeth  especially when I get round to building the funnel superstructure.

Pictures to follow.

pyro-manic

Nine 15" on a 450' hull?? Good grief!

The hull form will be rather fat with such a heavy armament (triple-15" would require a wide barbette and heavy turret - similar to that seen on Nelson and Rodney - and a wide beam would be needed for stability), and not suited to high speed at all.  Perhaps a coastal battleship, used as a monitor, guardship for a colony (maybe Singapore or Ceylon?) or a training ship in the Caribbean?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

tigercat

I may have to bend the laws of nature and physics in the pursuit of whiffery and practical storage here to fit it all on. Especially trying to fit Q turret   I may have to go with 2 15 inch for Q turret  just for the smaller turret and barbette and to free up some space.

Training ship sounds like a good niche for "ole Nellie"

tigercat

tigercat

Gondor

What scale is this?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on June 20, 2012, 03:05:57 PM
What scale is this?

Gondor

Huge?

I look forward to watching this build myself.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

It's looking 1/72nd to me. Although, they are paperbacks, so, maybe, 1/144th. :-\

Bloody big for a ship model, anyway! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

They are Hardbacks bwahahhahaahaha  "ole Nellie" will be 1/72 ish

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on June 20, 2012, 11:15:32 PM
They are Hardbacks bwahahhahaahaha  "ole Nellie" will be 1/72 ish

:blink: :blink: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

tigercat

tigercat

tigercat

So next up the After superstructure which will be more problematic .

Do I go with one mast like HMS Tiger or something like the Kongo class with 2 closer together.

Also I was looking at some diagrams of the Queen Elizabeth Class and some of them carry boats on top of the aft superstructure nut they seem to be out of range of the bot cranes. How would they be launched?