Main Menu

HMS Elephant

Started by tigercat, June 17, 2012, 02:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Will you park this vessel in your garage when finished?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

As for your choice in books, I like the Reacher series by Lee Child and I've read a couple ot the Sue Grafton books.
This ship might just fill the garage! As for the boats atop the superstructure you cut then loose, climb in and hope they float away!
"Just which planet are you from again"?

tigercat

Apparently Tom Cruise will be playing Jack Reacher in the film :o

I'm digging a dry dock in the garden  ;D

I always wondered about the lack of davits on battleships.

If it had been the battleship HMS Titanic that had hit the iceberg it would be interesting to see what would have happened if they would have been forced to revise the boat arrangements on military vessels.

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on June 25, 2012, 11:42:42 PM

I always wondered about the lack of davits on battleships.

Might give some of the guns "line of sight" problems. Plus if knocked over by gunfire would add even more obstacles to what might already be a nightmare of a deck. If they had been equiped with them in peacetime then they would probably have been jetisoned prior to action. Indeed prior to Tuishima the Japanese fleet even jetisoned their decorated muzzle caps overboard
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

So presumably the ones that are more working boats than lifeboats ie: motorboats , launches, barges etc are lifted on and off by the cranes.

Whereas the other ones as mentioned earlier just float gently off as the ship sinks on an even keel benath the sailors.

scooter

Quote from: tigercat on June 26, 2012, 04:05:09 AM
So presumably the ones that are more working boats than lifeboats ie: motorboats , launches, barges etc are lifted on and off by the cranes.

I know the Iowas have their whaleboat and launch in davits.  But most of the lifeboats would have been float type rafts.  Now, whether or not most of the crew would have been able to get in the water, that's a different story.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on June 26, 2012, 04:05:09 AM

Whereas the other ones as mentioned earlier just float gently off as the ship sinks on an even keel benath the sailors.

Yup a lot of the shore boats would have been craned on and off. In action as Scooter says the crew would have relied on float type rafts like Carley Floats etc. Again to repeat the man "those that could get off"

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4719

On the model of Queen Elizabeth does any one know what the thing onthe side of the bridge that looks like the radar from the Airfix Coastal defence kit actually does . Is it some kind of director for the AA or a radar?

The whole directors thing is a bit of a grey area for me.

scooter

Fire Control Systems

Hope this muddies up the water a bit for you on what gun directors do.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Go4fun

"Apparently Tom Cruise will be playing Jack Reacher in the film  :o" Surely you jest! I think Dwane (Rock) Johnson would fill the bill much better. Reacher is a big[/i] man.
And this ship build should be very interesting to watch.
The prblem with the Titanic was she didn't have guns, well trained crew and dive bombers to deal with erant floating wee bits of ice.  ;D

"Just which planet are you from again"?

Oldeseadogge

Quote from: tigercat on June 26, 2012, 08:50:03 AM
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4719

On the model of Queen Elizabeth does any one know what the thing onthe side of the bridge that looks like the radar from the Airfix Coastal defence kit actually does . Is it some kind of director for the AA or a radar?

The whole directors thing is a bit of a grey area for me.

If you mean the "T" shaped thing, it looks like an old Barr & Stroud optical rangefinder.  The only use I can think of for something like that at that stage of her life would be for aiding the 20MM gunners, or perhaps for shore bombardment.

tigercat

Thanks 

The superstructure and turrets are coming along nicely.

I suspect she will be a rather  unique ship and from a space perspective might  have either to end up with x and y turrets rather than Q and Y

Either that or  bite the bullet and give her  an Renown/ Repulse  turret lay out

Although I did want to try something unconvential.

Although even with just the one turret up front she has  3/4 of the firepower upfront of a Queen Elizabeth class.

tigercat

I have to decide whether to have 1or 2 funnels

Originally I was thinking 1 in the style of the mondernised Queen Elizabeth class although looking at pictures of Renown and Repulse I'm now veering towards 2  which does meen I will have to get through another bottle of poundland  not quite Head and Shoulders  which was the nearest I could find to a funnel  shape

tigercat

Ok I'm 90 % decided on 2 turrets forward just because by superimposing them you save  on the length of the barrels.  so  I suspect  she'll end up looking like a mini Renown or Repulse.

James

Looking great.  :thumbsup:
Certainly going to be a beast isn't it.  1/72! :wacko: