Main Menu

Barksdale Hog in HDR

Started by Sentinel Chicken, June 20, 2012, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sentinel Chicken

Another set of shots from this past weekend's Denton Air Show and one of my favorite aircraft, the Warthog.

Didn't realize there was some realignment with Barksdale AFB's reserve Hog unit. Used to part of the 917th Wing which included both the AFRC's Buffs and the A-10s, they were administratively separated and the A-10s are now the 917th Fighter Group and report to the 442nd Fighter Wing which is the A-10 unit based at Whiteman AFB in Missouri as a "geographically separated unit".

I think this is one of the new upgraded A-10Cs. Those aircraft have the new wing set as well as a SATCOM aerial and GPS fairing on the dorsal fuselage (just above the fighter group badge).

PR19_Kit

The mind boggles at a unit that consists of A-10s and B-52s........  :o

Shouldn't they have a few T-6s in the mix as well?  ;D

Or an SR-71?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 20, 2012, 11:30:59 AM
The mind boggles at a unit that consists of A-10s and B-52s........  :o

Shouldn't they have a few T-6s in the mix as well?  ;D

Or an SR-71?

They both do the same job, Kit-Close Air Support. Just one carpet bombs the bejeezus out of an area, while the other is more...surgical in its application.  ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

pyro-manic

I'd hardly call "hosing the place down with 30mm uranium slugs" surgical. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on June 20, 2012, 12:14:57 PM
I'd hardly call "hosing the place down with 30mm uranium slugs" surgical. ;D

Compared to a B-52 load of two thousand pounders an A-10 is surgical even with said 30mm slugs.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

The mind boggles at A-10s being in a Fighter wing  ;D

kerick

The US Air Force simply refuses to use the words attack or strike no matter how much it may apply. Just think of all the "F"-105s and "F"-111s that were obviously not fighters. Closest they ever got was calling a unit a fighter bomber wing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise