Re: NöNö Bärs Shipyard (WIP: Dutch Coast Defense ship, still unnamed)

Started by nönöbär, June 23, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

After a short break - boss sends me to Switzerland too often - work on the ballistic missile cruiser continues.

The missile hangar is now completed, painted and added to the hull. The backward part has an additional AK 630, on top, the forward part holds all the missile silos

But now to an interesting questions: What to do with the main armament? Right now I have three alternatives to choose form, but I do not know which one to take:

Alternative 1: The original 20,3cm guns in twin turrets

Alternative 2: Tripple 15cm gun turrets:

Alternative 3: More modern soviet made multi prupose guns:

So what should I choose?  :unsure:

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

Now this is coming along really well  :thumbsup:

For the forward armament I would go with a single 20.3cm turret together with one "modern" style turret. Makes it look as though they have started to modernise that part of the ship as well. At a latter stage maybe she would exchange the turrets for missile launchers ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

After getting some hints from Russia, I have to re-think my weapon/radar equipment a bit.

First of all, the SA-4-N Gecko will move on top of the missile/helo hangar. The pop group guidance radar is still missing, but will follow.
The AK-630 that was located there will be moved to the stern of the ship.

For the "main" guns, I might go for AK-100 in single mounts. Still have not decided what to put on the location where I had the Geckos before.

As the ship will be in the mid 70s, those weapons would be valid for it.

--------------------

Sauragnmon

Your location for the Gecko launcher is an improvement... the key to the Gecko launcher is that it's actually got stuff below it for reloading.  I've seen images of the pop-up launchers like you see on the Slava, Kirov and other mountings, and it actually goes down to reload the missiles.  I don't know, but I'm rather certain, it's standard like that, not vertically loaded like some of the other launchers, so the situation might have required you to fill in the deck area under the launchers with them on the sides like that.  The up side is that there's not much deck requirement for the Pop Group radars, you can look at the ones on the Kirovs to support that - Kirov, Frunze and Kalinin all had Gecko, Kirov's mountings for Pop Group IIRC are the best for highlighting the little below-mount clearances required.

The AK-100s look a good idea, and were more common than the 130 mounts, don't forget you'll want a Kite Screech radar for them as that's integrated into the system as well.  Another alternative could have been using SS-N-14 tubes, a twin-tube like the Kirov, and reloaded from the former second mount.  The Kirov actually could reload its launch tubes.  The 100mm guns are a significant downsize, though..  They could have gone for a modernized 203 mounting potentially, I'd consider using the AK-76 turret, and get metal barrels for the 100s in 350 scale to present a single 203 modernized as an alternative.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

nönöbär

Things are getting more complete on the Petropavlovsk now. More or less everything is in place now, except a few details.

I finally decided to use the 100 mm guns. As the planned main armament of this ship were the ballistic missiles, the original 20,3 cm guns were ot needed anymore.

Additionally, I added some Sunburn launchers besides the forward superstructure.

As one of the Gecko launchers got lost, I cannot add it superimposed to the other, so I guess I will go for some additional sensors there.

--------------------

Captain Canada

Late for the party but those are the main guns I would have chosen, they just seem to look right. I like the hangar as well. Looking good and thanks for posting another ship around here !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Sauragnmon

She's coming along well... one thing you'll want to add is blast deflectors for the Moskit/Sunburn launchers.  Something else you'll want to consider is the dome-like Band Stand radar, example being the dome on the bridge of a Sovremenny class.  Similarly, there's a gap in the defensive screen forward, with the position of the Moskits.

I'm just providing critiques, not attempting to step on toes.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

nönöbär

Quote from: Sauragnmon on May 17, 2015, 10:08:49 PMShe's coming along well... one thing you'll want to add is blast deflectors for the Moskit/Sunburn launchers.  Something else you'll want to consider is the dome-like Band Stand radar, example being the dome on the bridge of a Sovremenny class.  Similarly, there's a gap in the defensive screen forward, with the position of the Moskits.

I'm just providing critiques, not attempting to step on toes.

I am always glad about feedback.

So I added some blast deflectors at the end of the Sunburn launchers:

About the radar dome - where to put it? And would it fit to a time frame of the mid 1970s?

The story of the ship - in a short version - should be that it was initially converted as a ballistic missile cruiser as a fallback solution of ballistic missile subs would fail. This was in the early 1960s. Later, it was used as a test-bed for other weapon systems and not used for front line duty anymore.

--------------------

Sauragnmon

Not sure on the blast deflector... the catch is it's too close to the launcher at the bottom - on the Russian launchers, there's a hatch on both sides that swings open.  In the case of the Moskit launchers, they open to the side, each away from the center.  Your radar over the bridge, same area as the launchers, actually looks a lot like the Front Door radar system used for the larger Bazalt missiles seen on ships like the Kiev and Slava classes, so it could be a similar development.

Your AK-630 mounts are still a bit.. off.  They've got blind spots, that really leave me unsure about them, presented by the missile tubes, and the aft structures.  A forward position might not be a bad idea, with a little extension of the main superstructure so it sits above and behind the upper 100mm gun position.  Aftward, it gets a bit more difficult with all the structure you've built up.  I don't have a good picture, did you put one out on the fantail?  Director coverage is alright, for the most part.

She's coming along very well though.

nönöbär

Well, the last steps to make. The crew begins to populate the ship. Maybe I have to do some adjustments with the radar, but its more or less done now.

--------------------

Captain Canada

Nice one. Love that big hangar, really gives the ship some substance. Of course the wee dudes always help bring it to life. Nice to see the chopper on the deck as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

That is nice and as the Capt says the crew figures make it  :thumbsup:

nönöbär

Now that the Petropavlovsk is completed, the shipyard has some space again.

I have a couple of "classic" warship kits, all produced in the 1950s/1960s (or re-releases of it).
So to start with, I choose the Renval USS King:

You do not see those kind of box arts today :)

Construction went on quite good until this point:

When a friend told me that the ship did not had a wooden deck. And he was right, although the model seems to have one. So back to the paint shop again to fix this... :banghead:

--------------------