Re: NöNö Bärs Shipyard (WIP: Dutch Coast Defense ship, still unnamed)

Started by nönöbär, June 23, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Not very much progress in the shipyard this week, but at least the deck is now painted and added to the ship:

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

nönöbär

Well, no What-If, but a old kit build in a way as it was build in the 1960s.

USS Boston, old Revell kit (as part of the missile fleet box):

The little "US 1960s fleet" in 1:500 (more or less)

Build OOB, but had to replace 2 AA guns as they were missing. Painted with Revell Aqua Color and added a bit Tamyia rust to it.

--------------------

Captain Canada

Great stuff. Love those old missile ships, and you have really done those old kits justice !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Next of the 60's US ships is on the way, an old Revell USS Long Beach kit.

Little detail is that they even have the reactor included, although it will not be visible in the completed model.

--------------------

nönöbär

Work continues on the Long Beach

Several small parts are still missing, but its mostly done.

--------------------

Captain Canada

Love the shape of that ship. I think I have this one in the stash....sold by the box art and all of those cool early missiles ! Love the way it's coming together, and it looks like the reactor could be kept for deatailing a bomb bay or somat on another project.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

That's coming on really well. There's something about the shape of these 50/60's ship that I like. Probably because I'm from that era. I find modern warship design quite dull looking
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

nönöbär

The USS Long beach is completed now. Seems as if i have no luck with those old kits, again some smaller parts were missing.

Anyway, here it is:

A view in the reactor department

The 1960's US fleet:

The model is the old Revell kit, airbrushed and painted with Revell Aqua Color. Sadly the decals totally disintegrated when put into water, therefore, there is no "9" on the ship.

--------------------

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. Love the shape of that ship and the island or fo'csle or whatever they call it is so distinct. I have that kit if you'd like me to forward the decals on to you in hopes that they survive their bath ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That does look good, as the Cap'n says it's a very distinctive shape. I didn't know the Long Beach carried Regulus 2 missiles, something new for the memory banks.

One of my workmates in the US plant was an electrical engineering officer aboard the Long Beach during its later years and he said it was a real bear to keep running then as everything aboard was unique and there were hardly any spares available to keep things going. Inventiveness was the order of the day.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I didn't know the Long Beach carried Regulus 2 missiles either.

Come out really well  :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 25, 2015, 07:49:28 AM
I didn't know the Long Beach carried Regulus 2 missiles either.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2015, 07:18:48 AM
I didn't know the Long Beach carried Regulus 2 missiles, something new for the memory banks.

Because she never did!  Regulus II was an early planned fit for the LONG BEACH, but was cancelled.    After Requlus II was cancelled,  plans shifted to Polaris  :o, but neither weapon was installed on the ship.   I imagine the kit was first designed in the late 1950's when the ship was in the early design stage.  Also note that the helo deck is not quite how she ended up upon commissioning.  So NoNo has given us a WHIF  ;)  She turned out well!     

She received a much more normal ASROC launcher and a pair of 5 inch guns amidships.

Source: The ships and aircraft of the US Fleet, Polmar, Norman, twelve edition.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*