Re: NöNö Bärs Shipyard (WIP: Dutch Coast Defense ship, still unnamed)

Started by nönöbär, June 23, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

@buzzbomb: Looks cool. Seems the same base model that I use. But I guess mine will look much more "normal" than yours :)
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

nönöbär

Painting all those shields took a bit, and from here, the ship still looks pretty normal. The openings for the oars have been closed (not visible form this perspective)

But now to the printed parts:

This is the boiler and funnel which will be places inside the aft. superstructure. So that you still can see something from it. Made with a SLA (Resin) printer in two separate parts for better installation.

The Archimedes screw for propulsion (thanks to @JoeP for the idea). Also printed with the SLA printer.

The evolution of the superstructure. I made several test prints until it was all ok. Adjusting the openings for funnel and mast etc. And trying to add a bit of "wooden" structure to the parts. The one in the front is the final one. Printed with a FDM (PLA) printer. This part has to be enhanced with some more details (like railing, ladders), but they will be made separately.

--------------------

NARSES2

Oh wow  :thumbsup:

Great work on those shields, you can get transfers/decals for some scales, but off hand I can't remember which. The mechanics look just right  :thumbsup: I'm really looking forward to this
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Archimedes' screw is definitely the go-to for this! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nönöbär

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 21, 2020, 04:10:03 AM
Archimedes' screw is definitely the go-to for this! :thumbsup:

Yes, I like the look of it.

And now I ordered some crew members. As no Romans are available in this size, I got some Z-scale model train figures which I hopefully can convert. They started their way in HuiZhou and just arrived in Dongguan. I guess it will take some time to arrive here.

--------------------

buzzbomb

very good, nice and subtle changes so far  :thumbsup:

Caveman

This looks really good. I am continually inspired by your SLA prints. Once my house move is completed I am definitely going to be looking to get one. Top stuff!
secretprojects forum migrant

nönöbär

The boiler and some coal storage have been added. Sure, it would be better to put everything below the deck, but then, you won't see anything. And, as the steam engine itself is below the deck there is not too much room left there.

The tiny Z-Scale figures have been arrived in Germany but not here yet. Was surprisingly fast, about 10 days. So lets hope that I can make some Romans from them.

--------------------

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

nice touch with the coal bunkers.
Also agree that the boiler has to be visible to help the story

Old Wombat

Would a semi-recessed boiler work better? :unsure:

It'd certainly improve stability, whilst leaving the boiler visible. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nönöbär

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 01, 2020, 07:27:04 PM
Would a semi-recessed boiler work better? :unsure:

It'd certainly improve stability, whilst leaving the boiler visible. ;)

The steam engine is below the boiler, therefore i had to put it on the deck. The room in the ship is quite limited and the charcoal also needs a lot of space.

Generally speaking, a trireme is not the ideal ship for a steam engine, but as this model shows the first Roman steam powerd ship, they had to use an existing one. Later designs would of course benifit from the lessons learned this ship.

--------------------

nönöbär

Now that my "Romans" have arrived, I found out that I have to adjust the superstructure a bit.

The ship is in 1/250 scale, the figures are Z-scale which is 1/220. So they are a bit too big. Because of this, I have to make the superstructure 3mm higher. So I printed an extension to it.

Painted the first batch of little people as Romans, I guess this should work:

Putting all together as a test:

--------------------

NARSES2

Your Romans certainly will work  :thumbsup:

Classic Lorica Segmentata

Rheged

Magnum opus est, satis, et Magnifico*

* It is a great work, and quite magnificent (But my Latin O level was 54 years ago, so this might not be perfectly correct)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet