Re: NöNö Bärs Shipyard (WIP: Dutch Coast Defense ship, still unnamed)

Started by nönöbär, June 23, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Shame about the lifts, they look good. You need to have a "word" with your engineer  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

This week, I concentrated on aircraft lifts and aircraft. Both were tricky.

Somehow the first printed lifts were not in the correct size. Slightly too big (talking about .5 mm), so they did not fit Had to scale them down and reprint.

This is the IJN flight-deck with lift tested in there - it fits this time.

As the hangar deck will not accessible when the flight-deck is added, I have to add aircraft and crew in there now. Printing the aircraft is really a pain. Success rate is 20-25% as those aircraft ware very small and fragile, especially the Ju87 tend to break when removing the support structure.

Here, the first Val has arrived in the IJN hangar deck, crew is already around. Making the folded wings is even more tricky...

So here is the state of the carriers.
IJN - first planes added to the hangar deck, lift (in up position) added

KM - Lift added (in middle position), first Ju87 printed and painted (had over 90% of them that did not print or break :(  )

USN: Lift in down position, first Dauntless printed and painted. Those work a bit better. 

Next thing - besides more planes - will be the support structure below the flight deck.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

nönöbär

Support structure and again aircraft is the current thing to do right now.

The first smaller support structure has been designed and printed, here seen on the USN carrier, still unpainted.

On the IJN carrier, the hangar deck is now filled with aircraft and crew, this still has to be done for the other ones. But for this, I need more aircraft.

All three carriers, the construction of the IJN is the most advanced right now as those aircraft were the easiest to print.

The Ju87 Stuka are the most tricky to print, therefore, there is only one so far.

A few planes for the USN carrier, one is in the hangar deck already.

--------------------

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

I had a similar idea, having bought a EFC Laker class and having one left over from the project.  Now I'll think of something else to do with it!
Looking forward to your final results.  Like the idea of three different countries.   :thumbsup:

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

nönöbär

More little planes added and working on the support structure of the flight deck. It fragile structure is a bit tricky to print, and the first attempt did not work out very good, but it gives an idea, how it will look like. Have to adjust the 3D model a bit.

And a few more planes added

IJN: Val bombers and a Nakajima recon plane

KM: Ju87 and Me109

USN: Dauntless and Corsair

Problem is that many of those little planes break apart when removing the support structure required for printing.

--------------------

NARSES2

nönöbär

As last week, the main focus is one more aircraft (which really take longer than expected) and the flight deck support structure.

Based on the first test model, I had to adjust the 3d construction, this is the final version now

Test of the forward flight deck support on the KM carrier - now it does fit as it should.

Adding it to the IJN carrier flight deck

My engineer checks the Dauntless dive bomber on the USN carrier hangar deck

Progress so far:
IJN

KM

USN

--------------------

nönöbär

Again, aircraft and flight deck support structure. But the later one is all printed now.

This is what happens to 80% of my Ju87 model, the tail breaks away as it it very fragile:

Test of the backward flight deck support on the IJN carrier - the size is ok, but it is too fragile to print. So some adjustments are required.

Next try, this time it fits better:

Progress so far:
IJN: Hangar deck completed, all support added to the flight deck.

KM: More aircraft added, a Ju87 in the aircraft lift and a partly disassembled Me109 in the hangar. Forward support structure completed

USN: More aircraft added to the hangar deck, forward flight deck support completed

While I still need a few aircraft, the main work will now shift to island structures, funnels and armament. Quite a lot parts need to be designed and here it begins where the three carriers will look different.

--------------------

NARSES2

Fantastic work  :thumbsup:

With the Ju 87's broken tails you could always say they had folding rear fuselages so as to fit the lifts better ?

nönöbär

Finally, new parts besides aircraft and support structure come into the game.

Some maintenance work on a partly disassembled Me109 on the KM carrier:

My engineer checks the progress so far:

IJN carrier island. 3D printed with the resin printer, with additional PE parts and some stuff form the spare part box.

A typical IJN style funnel for the IJN carrier.

Progress so far:
IJN: Flight deck attached to the hull, some boats added.

KM: More aircraft added,  flight deck support completed

USN: Flight deck support completed and some more aircraft.

--------------------

NARSES2

I keep having to remind myself just how small these are  :bow:

nönöbär

Some good progress this week and one of the carriers is almost done now

The superstructure for the KM carrier with the typical German funnel

Adding PE parts and some stuff from the spare part box.

Island and funnel(s) for the USN carrier

Some AA guns for the IJN carrier. Guns from the spare part box, mount 3D printed

Progress so far:
IJN: Island and armament added, looks pretty complete now

KM:Flight deck added to hull, working on the superstructure

USN:Flight deck added to hull, working on the superstructure

Now I really have to think about names for the three ships.

--------------------

Caveman

Very nice!

This might be an expensive thread for me. It keeps temping me to go for a resin printer...
secretprojects forum migrant

buzzbomb

Very interesting carriers.
Using a common hull with individual national tweaks is and interesting idea.

How do you find the printed parts for warping, they are fair sizes ?