Re: NöNö Bärs Shipyard (WIP: Dutch Coast Defense ship, still unnamed)

Started by nönöbär, June 23, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Quote from: Caveman on December 05, 2021, 12:30:44 PM
Very nice!

This might be an expensive thread for me. It keeps temping me to go for a resin printer...

;)
Don't forget the FDM priter as well. Some parts are printed with it, as they are too big for the Resin printer: Hull, Flightdeck and hangar deck.

I tried to split the hull in two pieces for the resin printer, but it did not work very good, so I made the fallback with the FDM printer. Hangar and flight deck are also easier to print with it, giving the a bit flexibility for the final construction.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

nönöbär

Quote from: buzzbomb on December 05, 2021, 02:35:25 PM
Very interesting carriers.
Using a common hull with individual national tweaks is and interesting idea.

How do you find the printed parts for warping, they are fair sizes ?

I first wanted to make a KM carrier only. But then I thought how it would like like an IJN one. Hmmm, nice. And an USN one. Hmm, also nice. Which one to make now? Ok, as they are printed, I can print more than once, so lets make three different ones.

The hull is all the same, hangar deck & boats are slightly different and the main difference are the isnals structure and armament. And the aircraft of course.

For the printed parts, the main problem was that some parts were too small to print them in a good way.

The other thing is when you print resin parts, you have to cure them with UV light. If you remove the support structure before, then larger parts can bend a bit under UV light and are not usable anymore. If you remove the support afterwards, you often damamge the part when removing the support.
Therefore I used the following for larger parts (like the KM island structure): Remove support, fix it to its final location with some rubber bands and cure it this way. So it is "bend" to the right position and cured.

--------------------

Caveman

Quote from: nönöbär on December 06, 2021, 02:53:12 AM
Quote from: Caveman on December 05, 2021, 12:30:44 PM
Very nice!

This might be an expensive thread for me. It keeps temping me to go for a resin printer...

;)
Don't forget the FDM priter as well. Some parts are printed with it, as they are too big for the Resin printer: Hull, Flightdeck and hangar deck.

I tried to split the hull in two pieces for the resin printer, but it did not work very good, so I made the fallback with the FDM printer. Hangar and flight deck are also easier to print with it, giving the a bit flexibility for the final construction.

Already got an FDM printer. Out of interest, what sized nozzle do you use for your FDM?
secretprojects forum migrant

frank2056

This looks great. What slicer are you using? Have you tried UVTools to analyze/repair the Ju-87 file? It a fantastic tool that can find and fix non-obvious errors (often tiny islands or poorly supported areas)

nönöbär

Quote from: Caveman on December 06, 2021, 04:53:01 AM
Already got an FDM printer. Out of interest, what sized nozzle do you use for your FDM?

Printed this on an Anycubic Vyper with the default nozzle. I would think this is a 04mm one.

--------------------

nönöbär

Quote from: frank2056 on December 06, 2021, 11:39:17 AMThis looks great. What slicer are you using? Have you tried UVTools to analyze/repair the Ju-87 file? It a fantastic tool that can find and fix non-obvious errors (often tiny islands or poorly supported areas)

I use Chitubox as a slicer for the Resin printer. Will have to take a look at this tool.
The problem is that the Ju87 model I used (didn't make it myself) is much bigger originally. So scaling it to 1/700 makes it too fragile.
But removing the support before curing them was the solution. Then they are still flexible enough and do not break so fast. Now I have enough of them ;)

When working with small scale, you have to design objects a bit bigger and more clumsy  to make them work. When making my 1/3000 scale ships, I designed this "aircraft" - look like a child toy.

But when printed in 1/3000, wingspan is 4mm and they look ok.

--------------------

NARSES2

Fascinating, way above my head, but fascinating  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Looks good at 1/3000! Now you have to print a crew!

Just kidding; there used to be a high-end 3D printing company that offered 3D printing services to hobbyists through their "Printapart" brand. I printed some highly detailed 1/350, 1/700 and 1/1000 figures with them and even tried a 1/2500 figure but that was at the limit of their printers at the time (ca. 2007).

Our hobbyist resin printers with (at best) 50um x 10um voxels would have a difficult time with 1/700 although I've printed 1/350 figures.

nönöbär

Work continues on the various island structures.

Progress so far:
IJN: Aircraft added, but the crew is still missing

KM:Boats added and island structure almost completed

USN:Boats added, funnels attached to the hull. Island also almost done.

--------------------

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

nönöbär

Working on crew, flight deck scenes and AA guns right now. But at least they now look like carriers.

Crew on the IJN flight deck:

Some AA-guns at the KM carrier:

Progress so far:
IJN: Almost done, only a few little things are missing

KM: Island added and started with the AA-guns:

USN:Island added, designing the AA-gun mounts right now:

--------------------

Caveman

Standing by for the nominate button once you declare complete...

Fun bit of Google + maths later - if a bog standard garden (Europe) ant crawls over those crew it will be the equivalent of 9m tall at their scale.

PR19_Kit

OK, I'm declaring 110% bogglement here!

WhereEVER do those little dudes on the deck come from? They're RIDICULOUSLY small?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 19, 2021, 04:43:01 AM
OK, I'm declaring 110% bogglement here!

WhereEVER do those little dudes on the deck come from? They're RIDICULOUSLY small?

I gave up trying to comprehend ages ago, I just enjoy  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.